Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 25 million players (15 million Steam + 10 million Xbox)

crispy4000

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I agree. Pokémon is one of my favorite franchises so I wouldn’t call it shitty lol. But I’d much rather play OG Pokémon than PalWorld. 

I don't think all of Pokemon is shit, just the modern stuff. Like the past 10 years. For me, Pokemon peaked with Crystal.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:45 PM, crispy4000 said:

I'm only surprised about the extent of its success.  But I always figured a Pokemon parody game could have an audience.  Especially one that looked more visually proficient than Pokemon itself.

On 1/22/2024 at 3:23 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Exactly... Folks who grew up playing Pokemon and Gears of War have found the game that they didn't know they wanted... this is how hits are made. I'm not the target audience because I was never into Pokemon but I can totally see how a game like this would be a hit today. makes sense to me :shrug:

On 1/22/2024 at 6:12 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Mainline Pokémon games look and play like a janky Indy game and they sell more than 10M units per year. I can see morbid curiosity of this Pokémon spoof could move one copies over a week. 

Yeah sure I get Pokémon fans, especially those who have been frustrated in Pokémon's lack of meaningful innovation, getting curious and trying this out, but to this level of success just seems off. It just feels like it's a bit too much for a game that came out of nowhere. Something like Lethal Company's success I can see because of the comedy behind it, and streamers showcasing it, plus it's only 10 bucks, but this too fast of a success story. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 6 million units sold in 4 days, 1.8 million concurrent players on Steam
2 hours ago, Brick said:

Yeah sure I get Pokémon fans, especially those who have been frustrated in Pokémon's lack of meaningful innovation, getting curious and trying this out, but to this level of success just seems off. It just feels like it's a bit too much for a game that came out of nowhere. Something like Lethal Company's success I can see because of the comedy behind it, and streamers showcasing it, plus it's only 10 bucks, but this too fast of a success story. 

It combines a meme-worthy concept with the longstanding desire of former Pokemon fans to have Pokemon fit the mold of what they'd rather play. On platforms they'd rather play it on.  Survival is hot shit right now on PC too.

6 million surprises me little more than 1 million did.  It's clear the game is snowballing.

• True 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 7 million units sold in 5 days, 2 million concurrent players on Steam
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 7 million units sold in 5 days, 2 million concurrent players on Steam, surpassed Fortnite on January 22 in US XBS DAU

An Early Access future development roadmap has been released:

GEmdUZxbkAAn5e3?format=jpg&name=small

[Early Access Roadmap]
・Addressing Critical Issues 

・Currently, numerous bugs have been identified, and we are prioritizing fixing those.
 ・Sometimes, the world date may experience rollbacks. 
 ・The loading screen may persist when trying to load into worlds.
...and so on.

・Improvements to Implement ASAP
 ・Key configuration improvements. 
 ・Improvements to base Pal AI and pathing.

・Planned Future Updates
 ・PvP 
 ・Raid Bosses (End-Game Content)
 ・Pal Arena (PvP for Pals) 
 ・Steam-Xbox Crossplay
 ・Various Xbox Feature Improvements
 ・Server Transfers and Migrations
 ・Improvements to the Building System
 ・New islands, Pals, Bosses, and Technologies.

I wonder if 5 years from now if this will be like part of the cultural zeitgeist like Fortnite and COD and Apex and Counter Strike and what not or will it be damn remember the time everyone played that Pokemon knock off for a couple months?

32 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I wonder if 5 years from now if this will be like part of the cultural zeitgeist like Fortnite and COD and Apex and Counter Strike and what not or will it be damn remember the time everyone played that Pokemon knock off for a couple months?

Indeed. I wonder if the success and interest in this might convince  Pokémon company and Game Freak to improve their own games, making Pokémon a better product. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

Only one of those is really “in the zeitgeist”, COD is consistently popular but not talked about at large the way it used to be, and the rest just have large cult followings.  I imagine at best Palworld will end up like all the other massive games of its ilk, a consistent amount of people will play it for a weirdly long time, but outside of that group no one will talk about it.  Tens of thousands of people are playing Valheim right now, but no one talks about it.

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Indeed. I wonder if the success and interest in this might convince  Pokémon company and Game Freak to improve their own games, making Pokémon a better product. 

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

• Halal 1

lol yeah, a guy can hope for the sake of all the Pokémon fans. 

I played it today and … I didn’t hate it. I don’t know how long it will hold my interest, but I built up a bit of a base that could self sustain itself with food and went out adventuring. Honestly, I can see why many Pokémon fans would get drawn to this. I find myself trying to capture every Pal I first encounter. They all have different traits, some making them good at something in the base, some good at fighting, and some good at very little because of their negative traits. Different Pals during the day and night. There clearly seems to be the same type of rock, paper, scissors that Pokémon uses.

The personality traits are amusing. I had this Pal that immediately started slacking off and and was in a grumpy mood as soon as I introduced a Pal with water abilities. That grumpy Pal had a passive trait “hydrophobic”, so I think that causes an issue. lol  

8 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Pokémon is just fine. Leave it alone. 

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Pokémon is just fine. Leave it alone. 

I am asking this seriously so maybe I can understand better. What's the main appeal of Pokémon? I litteraly know nothing about it. Should I be playing these games?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I am asking this seriously so maybe I can understand better. What's the main appeal of Pokémon? I litteraly know nothing about it. Should I be playing these games?

Adorable Pokémon. Going around catching them all. Going from town to town to city to city defeating the Gym Leaders and obtaining their badges.  And no this game is not for you lol. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 8 million units sold in less than 6 days
WWW.PUREXBOX.COM

"We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures..." - There's been some discussion on social media over the past f...

The strange thing in this scenario is that there are some scary fanatical Pokeman fans that are literally going to do the fucking legal work Nintendo, one of the most litigious and anti-consumer companies on the planet. And these weirdos will defend them with their lives, it seems.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I haven't seen a comparison of the IP that looks like infringement yet.  Has anyone else?

Nope! But I also took this statement of more Pokemon company A) Telling their fanatics that yes we are aware of this game please stop writing us and B) That they will go after any mods adding actual pokemon to it

Im sure they hsve done lawyers checking to see if there is anything, but I doubt it goes much further than that. The headline sensationalizes it.

16 hours ago, Biggie said:

Adorable Pokémon. Going around catching them all. Going from town to town to city to city defeating the Gym Leaders and obtaining their badges.  And no this game is not for you lol. 

Yea. I just don't get it. Never will.