Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 25 million players (15 million Steam + 10 million Xbox)

crispy4000

Hearing the social media stuff on the success of this game made me want to pick it up to see what it’s all about. 
Watched a video and read a description of the game. 
Nope, I couldn’t imagine a game that would be the opposite of everything I’m looking for in gaming. 

• Confused 1
  • Halal 1

I was blaming BOTW for the stuff that disappoints me with it, but yeah I guess it’s just survival game stuff. I don’t like any of that unless it’s AC or Disney Dreamlight, which is kind of a different thing because those are about doing whatever you want casually, not having to do something or you die.

I hope they let you turn that stuff off because I could go for the pokemon with guns stuff.

• True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 5 million units sold in three days

I feel like this is part 1 of a 3 part act. 

Act 1: Meteoric success of a fairly unknown game prior to EA launch.

Act 2: Legal action by Nintendo and massive fan uproars as updates don't keep people engaged after the initial splash but before the game exits early access.

Act 3: Scandal! A revealing press piece on the "leader" of this company suggest they are a furry cult leader and responsible for the illegal trafficking of exotic animals to their secret island.

• Sicko Sherman 1

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

It was inevitable - someone has already made a Pokémon mod for Palworld on PC.YouTuber ToastedShoes shared a snippet of…

It was inevitable - someone has already made a Pokémon mod for Palworld on PC.

YouTuber ToastedShoes shared a snippet of the mod in action over on X, showing himself running around as Ash Ketchum while riding, hunting, and setting Pokémon to work.

All of the Pals have been swapped for Pokémon models, and even the other NPCs have been given a makeover. If you ever wanted to see Misty holding a shotgun, or Jessie riding on the head of a gigantic Electabuzz, you're in luck.

• Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: Pokémon mod available (for now)

Something about the rise and success of this game doesn't seem right, like it's being purchased by a bunch of crypto bots, and being played by bots somehow. For a new, indie, janky game like this to be beating popular AAA IPs like this doesn't seem natural. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

Something about the rise and success of this game doesn't seem right, like it's being purchased by a bunch of crypto bots, and being played by bots somehow. For a new, indie, janky game like this to be beating popular AAA IPs like this doesn't seem natural. 

That's kinda what I'm feeling as well.

The game's success just feels entirely "manufactured" rather than "organic" but I'll be damned if I could point to a single shred of actual evidence supporting what amounts to a gut feeling.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

39 minutes ago, Brick said:

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The game's success just feels entirely "manufactured" rather than "organic" but I'll be damned if I could point to a single shred of actual evidence supporting what amounts to a gut feeling.

After trying it out last night I was amazed. I was like THIS is what is exploding the internet right now? I really don’t get it. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm only surprised about the extent of its success.  But I always figured a Pokemon parody game could have an audience.  Especially one that looked more visually proficient than Pokemon itself.

• Halal 1

Exactly... Folks who grew up playing Pokemon and Gears of War have found the game that they didn't know they wanted... this is how hits are made. I'm not the target audience because I was never into Pokemon but I can totally see how a game like this would be a hit today. makes sense to me :shrug:

I still don't know why people are saying Gears of War, does it turn into a cover shooter or something later? It's still 100% a survival game like Ark, Rust, etc.

That said, now that I'm mostly over my cold, I'm getting back into it. Gotta say, starting to really enjoy it. The combat is more satisfying and polished than other survival games I've played, with proper dodges, sidesteps, backflips and such to give it a bit of a Zelda feel, with melee hits really impacting enemies, making a fun little sound effect on hit, and just selling the hits well. Enemies have unique animations for attacks that feel polished and professionally made rather than typical survival game "we just needed to get this game out" jank.

There's a big tech tree, and you unlock stuff on it pretty quickly, helping to ease you into each gameplay system without overwhelming you, I found a "lucky" Pal which has what is basically the shiny icon from Pokemon, but rather than coloration it appears to be an extra "lucky" trait for +attack and +work speed (for your sweatshops) -- I found it because I heard a weird tinkly noise and saw it proudly posing on top of a rock with a golden aura, which was really fun and silly.

Still super early, but I'm digging it. I still say I'd like it 100x more and more easily if it was like a structured MMO or even a structured co-op game or something rather than being survival. I feel like you make a survival game when you feel like making a gameplay system and a world map but get tired before actually making content with all of that, so you have the players "make" the content. Whatever, it is what it is, and it's better than I expected after opening it and punching trees.

24 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Legends your fav?

I think it might be! I’m weird and really dig Sword a lot too though. I got into the series late, once they got rid of random battles which I never liked. I really like the mechanics of Legends the best, though I prefer the more modern setting of Sword/Violet. Having your pokemon follow you is important to me. And I prefer how catching mon works in Legends. 

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Mainline Pokémon games look and play like a janky Indy game and they sell more than 10M units per year. I can see morbid curiosity of this Pokémon spoof could move one copies over a week. 

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Is it really so hard to comprehend?

4xlO4hS.png

It takes Pokemon and does fun, silly shit with them and has you interact with them more than you ever can in normal Pokemon games, while also being a silly parody. I can unlock an ability to use my dumb sheep like a shield, I can throw them at certain facilities to "automate" them, they have both combat and crafting/gathering skills, and you can give Pikachu a glock.

While it's certainly more successful than I imagined, I don't find anything artificial about it, it's been the talk of the town since that first "Pokemon with guns" trailer.

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

As someone who played Pokemon, a TPS survival crafting piece of trash is not what I wanted from Pokemon.

Would you rather play regular pokemon where you wander around and just get into random battles? This sounds a lot better than that.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Would you rather play regular pokemon where you wander around and just get into random battles? This sounds a lot better than that.

Would I rather play regular pokemon or a survival crafting piece of trash?

Yeah, I'll play regular shitty pokemon, thanks.

52 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Would I rather play regular pokemon or a survival crafting piece of trash?

Yeah, I'll play regular shitty pokemon, thanks.

I agree. Pokémon is one of my favorite franchises so I wouldn’t call it shitty lol. But I’d much rather play OG Pokémon than PalWorld.