Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 25 million players (15 million Steam + 10 million Xbox)

crispy4000

15 hours ago, Biggie said:

Pokémon is just fine. Leave it alone. 

Define “fine”. They are some of the worst looking, worst performing, jankiest games in the Switch library. Definitely the worst in all areas compared to other Nintendo first party titles. 

They should only be considered acceptable if you’ve got stocks in Nintendo. 

18 hours ago, best3444 said:

I am asking this seriously so maybe I can understand better. What's the main appeal of Pokémon? I litteraly know nothing about it. Should I be playing these games?

It’s like digital cock fighting, or dog fighting, or mongoose and cobra fighting etc. you go out catch your own. Fight others. Level them up. Learn new moves, build teams of different makeups, earn badges by beating gym leaders that lets you control Pokémon of higher and higher levels. 

It’s an RPG where instead of a knight, white mage, rogue, dark mage, etc you capture animals. Solve mysteries. Depending on the game you have gangs, a rival, and maybe some legendary Pokémon to defeat that’s screwing with the world. 

many people have at least 1 favorite Pokémon. And there’s a desire to fill out the Pokédex (collection index) of every Pokémon in the franchise. So it’s a big collect-a-thon game too. There’s breeding in games, so you can even get into breeding Pokémon with the stats and  abilities you want. There’s “shiny” Pokémon that are rare versions of basic Pokémon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Define “fine”. They are some of the worst looking, worst performing, jankiest games in the Switch library. Definitely the worst in all areas compared to other Nintendo first party titles. 

They should only be considered acceptable if you’ve got stocks in Nintendo. 

To me Pokémon games have charm. They aren’t perfect by any means but they are just plain fun. I enjoy the crap outta them. And for anyone to suggest that somehow PalWorld will push GameFreak to make a better Pokémon game is crazy lol. PalWorld is ass in my opinion.  

The main draw of Pokemon is the Pokemon, that's it. People show up for the Pokemon and to catch em all. Anything else you're saying is nonsense

There are plenty of Pokemon games out there that are not the mainline RPG gameplay. Games like Pokken Tournament, Pokemon Go, Pokemon Snap, Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Shuffle, Pokemon Picross, Pokemon Unite, all play vastly different but why do people show up for them? The Pokemon.

Yes there are some :sickos:s out there who enjoy the battle system but the true diehards hate the modern battle system and go to this website instead

POKEMONSHOWDOWN.COM

So it's no surprise to me that a knockoff Pokemon game, with nearly the same aesthetic, but looks much better is doing well.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:17 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

The main draw of Pokemon is the Pokemon, that's it. People show up for the Pokemon and to catch em all. Anything else you're saying is nonsense

There are plenty of Pokemon games out there that are not the mainline RPG gameplay. Games like Pokken Tournament, Pokemon Go, Pokemon Snap, Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Shuffle, Pokemon Picross, Pokemon Unite, all play vastly different but why do people show up for them? The Pokemon.

Yes there are some :sickos:s out there who enjoy the battle system but the true diehards hate the modern battle system and go to this website instead

POKEMONSHOWDOWN.COM

So it's no surprise to me that a knockoff Pokemon game, with nearly the same aesthetic, but looks much better is doing well.

I’m one of those weirdos who enjoys the battle mechanics and the rpg gameplay lol. I prefer the old style much more than the current gen Pokémon games. I guess cause I grew up on it. But my point is that anyone who thinks that the success of PalWorld will some how shake, rattle, or spook GameFreak into creating a better Pokémon game is delusional. Anything they release with the Pokémon name on it will sell like hotcakes and they’ll money hand over fist. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie Weren't you like 35 years old when Pokémon came out? How in the hell did you get into it? Hell, I was too old for Pokémon when it came out hence why I know nothing about it. 

I grew up on Nintendo. I had the Gameboy when red/green/blue/yellow came out. Then then the Gameboy Advance. Followed by the Gameboy Advanced SP. Then of course the GOAT of handhelds the DS Lite. I’ve been a big kid and still am. 

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I grew up on Nintendo. I had the Gameboy when red/green/blue/yellow came out. Then then the Gameboy Advance. Followed by the Gameboy Advanced SP. Then of course the GOAT of handhelds the DS Lite. I’ve been a big kid and still am. 

I was just teasing you. I'm a big kid myself. 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You keep saying you aren’t into Pokémon games but have you ever actually played one?

The only one I ever played was Pokémon snap back in the N64 days. I know Pikachu at that's litteraly it. 

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The only one I ever played was Pokémon snap back in the N64 days. I know Pikachu at that's litteraly it. 

Honestly I think you would be sadly disappointed if you bought a Pokémon game. I love them but I don’t think you would. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I don't think I'd like it either. 

3 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I think you would honestly. If you can like Shin Megami you can like Pokémon IMHO

Hey you should listen to him. He was spot on when it came to Armored Core 6!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

If you like turn based RPGs, there’s about zero reason you wouldn’t like Pokemon

This makes zero sense. There are lots of turned based games I don’t like but I’m a huge turned based fan. 

19 minutes ago, Biggie said:

This makes zero sense. There are lots of turned based games I don’t like but I’m a huge turned based fan. 

Because some turn based games are bad, but Pokemon is a good turn based game. 
ie: if you’re a fan of western style fantasy RPGs you’ll almost certainly enjoy Skyrim as it’s a great western style fantasy RPG, but that doesn’t mean you’d like a bad or mediocre one such as Two Worlds

17 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Also, as a fan of turn-based games, Pokemon has the shittiest turn-based combat on the market that only becomes good in competitive play.

The SP being easy doesn’t make the turn based combat shitty. As you just said it becomes good in competitive play, which means the mechanics aren’t shitty.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The SP being easy doesn’t make the turn based combat shitty. As you just said it becomes good in competitive play, which means the mechanics aren’t shitty.

Well, no. I don't think that way about it.

For one, most battles in single-player are automatically 1v1, whereas multiplayer is 2v2. So it's like an entirely different game on that alone.

Second, the reason the multiplayer "makes it good" has less to do with the mechanics and more to do with mind-games you'd get in any turn-based game. The game's too simple in all the wrong places and overcomplicated in just as many wrong places.

Even with years of QoL updates, just getting set up to play the online is stupidly complicated compared to other competitive games, and when it comes to raw mechanics, stuff like Bravely Default just eats it for breakfast, lunch and dinner in every metric that I think can make a turn-based game fun, and I think would make a wildly entertaining multiplayer game if they could ever balance the damn thing around such a concept.

The parts I like about Pokemon are less to do with raw battle mechanics and more to do with just the base satisfaction of capturing a lot of weird looking perverts and building a team. If there's one area Pokemon can't be touched in, it's customization of your team. Again, probably overcomplicated to being detrimental, but you customize two sets of stats, which monsters go in which slots, their held items, their movesets (which change based on the format, i.e. 1v1, 2v2, rotation, gimmick matches like ghost only, etc), their natures (which also affects stats), their more general ability that activates based on certain parameters... You can come up with a completely novel team and moveset no one's ever seen before and win tournaments with it, assuming no one has a good counter. I mean, you're not likely to be that good at all of it, but you can theoretically do it. And I think that part's real cool.

Realistically speaking, if we are talking about Best, he's a graphics whore first and foremost and Pokemon could have the greatest battle system of all time but he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole because it looks like an N64 game (and the old ones an old GBA game). He's WAY more likely to play Palworld because it actually looks good.

• True 1

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Well, no. I don't think that way about it.

For one, most battles in single-player are automatically 1v1, whereas multiplayer is 2v2. So it's like an entirely different game on that alone.

Second, the reason the multiplayer "makes it good" has less to do with the mechanics and more to do with mind-games you'd get in any turn-based game. The game's too simple in all the wrong places and overcomplicated in just as many wrong places.

Even with years of QoL updates, just getting set up to play the online is stupidly complicated compared to other competitive games, and when it comes to raw mechanics, stuff like Bravely Default just eats it for breakfast, lunch and dinner in every metric that I think can make a turn-based game fun, and I think would make a wildly entertaining multiplayer game if they could ever balance the damn thing around such a concept.

The parts I like about Pokemon are less to do with raw battle mechanics and more to do with just the base satisfaction of capturing a lot of weird looking perverts and building a team. If there's one area Pokemon can't be touched in, it's customization of your team. Again, probably overcomplicated to being detrimental, but you customize two sets of stats, which monsters go in which slots, their held items, their movesets (which change based on the format, i.e. 1v1, 2v2, rotation, gimmick matches like ghost only, etc), their natures (which also affects stats), their more general ability that activates based on certain parameters... You can come up with a completely novel team and moveset no one's ever seen before and win tournaments with it, assuming no one has a good counter. I mean, you're not likely to be that good at all of it, but you can theoretically do it. And I think that part's real cool.

If it were shitty it would be shitty 100% of the time. :p 

SP just has a lot less strategy/thought needed, but mplayer opens up what you can actually do in terms of depth due to a human opponent that’s not spamming worthless moves with a single Pokemon type and is prepped to counter various types. The mechanics are the same otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Realistically speaking, if we are talking about Best, he's a graphics whore first and foremost and Pokemon could have the greatest battle system of all time but he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole because it looks like an N64 game (and the old ones an old GBA game). He's WAY more likely to play Palworld because it actually looks good.

He could/should probably just figure out how to run it on an emulator on his steam deck then there’s nothing lost if he doesn’t like it

:sickos: