Afghanistan Update: Islamic State claims responsibility for multiple bombings over last two days, including two Shia mosques

We should have never been over there at all... like ever... okay, maybe for a few months in 2001... but whatever.

Biden is doing the right thing. Fuck being in Afghanastan and every motherfucking right wing ghoul trying to dunk on this whole thing is a stupid piece of shit. They're dishonest fucking warmongering goblins. Nothing they say means anything. They are despicable human garbage. They are rooting for death because it helps their narrative.

This chaos goes to further prove we should not be over there. WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN THERE AT ALL. NO EXIT WAS GOING TO BE SMOOTH. THERE WAS NO GOOD WAY TO DO THIS, WE JUST HAD TO RIP OFF THE BAND-AID.

I'm sad about the people dying and the 4 marines who were killed today, but 2,500 American soldiers have been killed, only usually no one gives a fuck because they couldn't use their sacrifice to try and score political gotcha points. Their deaths are no more tragic than the other 2,500. No one should have died over there.

Don't even get me started on the 250,000ish Afghans soldiers and civilians we killed during our time over there. This whole shit-show was a total farce and good on Biden for having the courage to fucking end it.

It's not going to go well for him, but someone had to do it. IT HAD TO HAPPEN.

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'll put good money on they're not gonna bother breaking down the helos and will just disable/destroy them on the way out.

I've thought about this, and would the military consider just piling up what equipment/weapons is left and them drop a bunch of bombs on it?  They probably don't want any of that stuff to fall into the Taliban's or ISIS-K's hands. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

I've thought about this, and would the military consider just piling up what equipment/weapons is left and them drop a bunch of bombs on it?  They probably don't want any of that stuff to fall into the Taliban's or ISIS-K's hands. 

If push came to shove and the order came down to "GTFO now, by all means necessary", then I have little doubt that the equipment would be rendered unusable.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: IS-KP suspected in twin suicide bombings near Kabul International Airport that killed at least 60 Afghans, 11 Marines, 1 Navy corpsman

From the Pentagon briefing:

McKenzie was adamant that the evacuation operation would continue: “The plan is designed to operate while under stress, and under attack, and we will continue to do that, we will coordinate very carefully to make sure that it’s safe for American citizens to come to the airfield. If it’s not, we’ll tell them to hold.”

He added: “Our mission remains. We’re still committed to flying people out, until we terminate operations at some point towards the end of the month.”

Gen McKenzie said that cooperation with the Taliban has probably thwarted other planned attacks on the airport:

“We share versions of our information with the Taliban, so that they can actually do some searching out there for us and we believe that some attacks have been thwarted by them,” the general said. “They don’t get the full range of information we have, but we give them enough to act in time and space to try to prevent these attacks.”

More from the briefing:

Gen McKenzie said the US military was now talking to the Taliban about improving security at the airport by widening the cordon around it.

“We’ve reached out to the Taliban, we’ve told them you need to continue to push out the security perimeter. We’ve identified some roads that we would like for them to close they’ve indicated that they’ll they will be willing to close those roads, because we assess the threat of a suicide borne vehicle threat is high right now, so we want to reduce the possibility of one of those vehicles getting close,” he said.

He pointed out that there are drones over the area, with experts constantly assessing the scene for threats, as well as helicopters and aircraft with good imaging systems.

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm going to take some issue with this reporting because it lacks all context.

The Taliban control all access routes to the airport and therefore in order to facilitate ANY evacuation, it would probably be a good idea that they were provided with some kind of list.  Of course, it could be used as a "kill list", but if not for a manifest of some sort, the Taliban could easily turn away EVERY Afghan from getting near the airport.  The fact that 90,000+ Afghans have been evacuated -- and we can have a reasonable expectation that quite a number of them could be on that list -- indicates that it's working as intended, at least for now.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 7:19 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I regret ever having subscribed to this magazine

Fukuyama’s still legit.  He’s admitted to being wrong on what he’s been wrong about, and has given his critics’ arguments their due.  He’s guilty of being over optimistic and his work (especially ‘The End of History’) is still distorted to suit the worst excesses of neoliberals, but I can respect him.

The others on that list, though…*sigh*