Afghanistan Update: Islamic State claims responsibility for multiple bombings over last two days, including two Shia mosques

On 8/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I think the people saying "we should have pulled all the allies and civilians out before the military" are kind of missing that it seems like even doing that would have led to collapse just as fast. Of course hindsight and all that, but people would have surely noticed "hey, weird, the Americans just evacuated the entire embassy, maybe something is afoot" and the afghan military would have just given up then and there, and we'd be in the same situation.

The Afghan military folded not because we decided to pull out, but because we stopped giving all assistance to them, and apparently even barred civilian contractors from working with them on basic stuff like maintaining equipment.

There is no good way to leave, but don’t down play the absolutely ridiculous way we decided to do it.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The Afghan military folded not because we decided to pull out, but because we stopped giving all assistance to them, and apparently even barred civilian contractors from working with them on basic stuff like maintaining equipment.

There is no good way to leave, but don’t down play the absolutely ridiculous way we decided to do it.

No, it folded because it was incompetent and deeply corrupt, funneling billions to leadership instead of paying its soldiers, anyone that knew how to fight basically joined the taliban cause they got paid.

33 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

No, it folded because it was incompetent and deeply corrupt, funneling billions to leadership instead of paying its soldiers, anyone that knew how to fight basically joined the taliban cause they got paid.

I was just thinking we should offer to take care of some fighters families if they take out Taliban leadership. Then that made me go, oh.. that's why the Taliban is making sure to purge people who have worked with us. 

A bunch of those well dresses dudes chasing airplanes.. how are they so well dressed? I didn't say anything when I saw the clip but your comment aligns a lot of observations. 

• Haha 1

"Department of Defense Activates Civil Reserve Air Fleet to Assist With Afghanistan Efforts > U.S. Department of Defense > Release"

190807-D-EX074-026.JPG
WWW.DEFENSE.GOV

Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III has ordered the Commander of U.S. Transportation Command to activate Stage I of the Civil Reserve Air Fleet.

The current activation is for 18 aircraft: three each from American Airlines, Atlas Air, Delta Air Lines and Omni Air; two from Hawaiian Airlines; and four from United Airlines. The Department does not anticipate a major impact to commercial flights from this activation.

CRAF activated aircraft will not fly into Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul. They will be used for the onward movement of passengers from temporary safe havens and interim staging bases. Activating CRAF increases passenger movement beyond organic capability and allows military aircraft to focus on operations in and out of in Kabul. 

17 minutes ago, Jason said:
ebced3e8d93bb7abfc504644e8099e99?impolic
WWW.ABC.NET.AU

The federal government denies visas to a group of more than 100 Afghan contractors who guarded the Australian embassy, telling them to "contact a migration agent".

That's why I think some of these ppl being left behind were some of the money pocketing corruption. 

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

What do you think “assistance” means in this context? 

Afghanistan: US decision to withdraw lays bare a not so special relationship - BBC News

So I nearly choked on my Sunday morning granola bowl when I saw that he had used the word "imbecilic" to describe the justification for Joe Biden's Afghanistan policy. He didn't actually call the US president an imbecile, but someone as media cute as Mr Blair would have known it would be written up as though he had. And sure enough the headlines were: "Blair calls Biden imbecilic."

America acted unilaterally over Afghanistan - actually maybe that should be Joe Biden acted unilaterally. The administration was not much interested in what the UK thought. Mr Biden, from what I have been told, was not much interested in the red flags being raised by his intel community and military top brass, or by the warnings delivered from London. He wanted out. The warnings of HM Government - and my understanding is they were made strenuously - fell on deaf, indifferent ears in Washington.

In those circumstances - and let me depersonalise this - what is a British prime minister to do? If the 800lb gorilla is going to leave the room, what is the much smaller primate meant to do? The idea that the British armed forces could have swarmed in to fill the vacuum left by a US withdrawal is unrealistic.

It has also been suggested in some sections of the British press that this would never have happened during the supposed acme of the "special relationship" when Ronald Reagan was in the White House and Margaret Thatcher was at Number 10. Are you kidding me? Does anyone remember what happened in the Caribbean island of Grenada, in 1983?

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

In addition, the "special relationship" between the UK and US was practically absent during the Falklands War of 1982 when the US hemmed and hawed about supporting the UK when its territory in the South Atlantic was invaded by the right-wing Argentinian military regime that was a staunch ally of Washington.

The UK needs to disabuse itself of the notion that this "special relationship" actually exists in the way it pretends that it does.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Seriously tho the media is playing this shit. How many soldiers died and bombed weddings happened since 2008 that went unreported. 

And hospitals!

ap_16120579292523_wide-7954c5720062b3179
WWW.NPR.ORG

The Pentagon's investigation says none of the military personnel involved knew they were attacking a hospital. It says the assault, which killed dozens of people, was caused by a series of...

But the people doing the crime says it wasn't a crime

She has been watching in horror as the Taliban has taken over territory after territory in Afghanistan after U.S. forces exited the country they have occupied since 2001, a move Saqeb Jamal said has been orchestrated poorly.

“The U.S. could pull out, but they didn’t have to sell us out to the terrorists,” she said, referring to the Taliban.

“They handed over my country to the terrorists.”

DCI met with the Taliban leader in Kabul yesterday.

"CIA Director William Burns held secret meeting in Kabul with Taliban leader Abdul Ghani Baradar - The Washington Post"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/burns-afghanistan-baradar-biden/2021/08/24/c96bee5c-04ba-11ec-ba15-9c4f59a60478_story.html

I imagine the substance of the discussion was "What's the price to extend the deadline beyond August 31?"

5166.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

UK efforts to persuade Washington to extend Kabul airlift operation appear to have failed

British efforts to persuade the US to extend its humanitarian airlift in Afghanistan beyond the end of the month appear to have failed, with the Pentagon saying on Tuesday there was “no change” to its planned timetable to remove US forces from Kabul by 31 August.

Boris Johnson had been expected to ask the US President, Joe Biden, about the possibility of allowing more time to remove people during on online meeting of G7 leaders taking place on Tuesday afternoon.

However, in a Pentagon briefing, US admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary, said: “There’s been no change to the timeline of the mission, which is to have it done by the end of the month.”

• Guillotine 1