Jump to content

James Bond Producers Are Reportedly Leaning Toward Idris Elba as the Next 007


SaysWho?
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/james-bond-idris-elba-oo7-black-diversity-daniel-craig-a8484281.html

 

Quote

Bond franchise producer Barbara Broccoli has reportedly announced that the door is open for a black 007 in the future, once Daniel Craig completes his final outing as the spy. 

 

The Daily Star reports that director Antoine Fuqua revealed the details of a conversation with Broccoli, in which she said "it is time" for a non-white actor to take on the iconic role. 

 

Fuqua discussed who might be next in the running with Broccoli, who's certain the progressive move "will happen eventually", with Idris Elba a reported frontrunner for the role.

 

I saw a few white nationalists upset about the news, so now I'm doubly hoping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Better late than never.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m really in favor of limiting each actor to 2 or 3 films in the role. I wouldn’t mind if they did a new actor for each film.

I think 2-3 films is probably a good mark. Potential for some kind of multi-film arc, and it would be a shame for a someone really great in the role to only get a single movie, especially if the film itself isn't great.

 

I saw a tweet the other day floating the idea of a period Bond showing Judi Dench's M's early career as a spy in the 60's and 70's. I've heard the Broccolis want to turn Bond into a wider franchise, and that seems like an interesting way to expand the brand without trying to make it some kind of cinematic universe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

 

So was Robert Downey Jr and he played Sherlock Holmes. Britts play American Heroes all the time.

 

In fact, Brits were quite popular playing Batman villains, Batman, and Commissioner Gordon in The Dark Knight trilogy, among others, not to mention an Australian playing an American villain in TDK.

  • Guillotine 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Elba is 45. Moore was 46 in his first appearance, 57 in his last. Connery started in his 30s but finished at 53. Brosnan started at 43 and ended at 49. Dalton was 41-43. And Craig will end at 51.

 

I don't see any issue with Elba's age. And he would be a hell of a great choice for the role.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Wild said:

Elba is 45. Moore was 46 in his first appearance, 57 in his last. Connery started in his 30s but finished at 53. Brosnan started at 43 and ended at 49. Dalton was 41-43. And Craig will end at 51.

 

I don't see any issue with Elba's age. And he would be a hell of a great choice for the role.

 

:clap:    Yeah I don't know where this age shit is coming from :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

He's American

 

Jimmy Bound.

 

In all seriousness, I think Elba would be great. Sign him for two films and then move on, and keep doing the same thing. Get back to ridiculous stories without continuity. I don't need invisible cars, but make the villains crazy! I want guys with laser eyes and rocket ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was visiting some old friends of the family last fall. I hadn't really spent much time with them since I was a kid, so I didn't realize how... out of touch they are. At some point the topic of James Bond came up, and the dad of this family mentioned these call for a black Bond, laughing like it was a ridiculous joke. "Oh yeah, I've heard that. Idris Elba. Dude is talented, charming, super British, and happens to be black. He deserves to be a bigger star and would be a great Bond." His response was muttering something about Martin Lawrence with a bad British accent, and I just rolled my eyes and changed the subject as quickly as possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I was visiting some old friends of the family last fall. I hadn't really spent much time with them since I was a kid, so I didn't realize how... out of touch they are. At some point the topic of James Bond came up, and the dad of this family mentioned these call for a black Bond, laughing like it was a ridiculous joke. "Oh yeah, I've heard that. Idris Elba. Dude is talented, charming, super British, and happens to be black. He deserves to be a bigger star and would be a great Bond." His response was muttering something about Martin Lawrence with a bad British accent, and I just rolled my eyes and changed the subject as quickly as possible. 

Yeah, unfortunately a whole lot of people would flip their shit with a black Bond. I wonder if the Broccoli's and the studio are ready to defend their decision? Would Idris be fine with both the positive and negative attention? would seriously be like Jackie Robinson all over again, sadly, in modern times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Yeah, unfortunately a whole lot of people would flip their shit with a black Bond. I wonder if the Broccoli's and the studio are ready to defend their decision? Would Idris be fine with both the positive and negative attention? would seriously be like Jackie Robinson all over again, sadly, in modern times. 

I'm sure he would know what to expect given the backlash when he was cast as Heimdall, Roland The Gunslinger,  and as the romantic last opposite Kate Winslet in that Romantic Drama they did last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

Jimmy Bound.

 

In all seriousness, I think Elba would be great. Sign him for two films and then move on, and keep doing the same thing. Get back to ridiculous stories without continuity. I don't need invisible cars, but make the villains crazy! I want guys with laser eyes and rocket ships.

 

But, but, a THIRD of the water supply! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...