James Bond Producers Are Reportedly Leaning Toward Idris Elba as the Next 007

Lewis Tan can fight, but his acting in Badlands is not great. Daniel Wu is also rough in Badlands, but was better in Tomb Raider. Maybe? But he's American. John Cho is a good actor, but I don't see him with the Bond swagger. Also, South Korean. It's pretty clear the producers want to keep Bond from the UK, which I don't have a problem with.

Naveen Andrews or Raza Jeffrey could make good choices if we're trying to widen our discussion outside of "Bond, Black Bond" or another white dude.

• Thanks 1

Do it just to get the racists, and other "what about Hollywood Blackwashing" people all riled up. 

I am of the opinion that Bond should be played by a British actor though. There's just something so quintessentially British about Bond that it should be played by a Brit, whether it's an actor from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or even Ireland since it's in the same area (and Pierce Brosnan was Irish anyway). I know Brits have played Americans, and Americans have played Brits before, but usually the Britons complain that the Americans can never really nail the accent lol. 

9 hours ago, Brick said:

Speaking of gender though, if they ever did a gender swapped Bond (or if there da movie that just created a new character that was styled as a female James Bond) I could see Emily Blunt doing it. 

She would be spot on. Though I think I’d prefer her in the mission impossible universe.

19 hours ago, Chris- said:

Why does James Bond need to be white?

Why does James Bond need to be a man?

I'm not a fan of James Bond at all.  Saw Goldeneye and one of the Daniel craig ones.......I think Skyfall.    

That said it feels like ther is this huge push to change race for the last 10 years on the charachter...but the majority settle on merely swapping white for black.....here in the US we push for divesrsity..but that mostly means adding more black actors and actresses and shows......what about Inidan, or Hispanic, or Asian...or Arab.  

I mean...in the Marvel movies we have War Machine, Falcon, and Black Panther.    Seventeen movies in and not one Latino Superhero?   Asian superhero? Well...kind of maybe sort of...although...negative marks for  The Ancient One and The Mandarin.  

2 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I'm not a fan of James Bond at all.  Saw Goldeneye and one of the Daniel craig ones.......I think Skyfall.    

That said it feels like ther is this huge push to change race for the last 10 years on the charachter...but the majority settle on merely swapping white for black.....here in the US we push for divesrsity..but that mostly means adding more black actors and actresses and shows......what about Inidan, or Hispanic, or Asian...or Arab.  

I mean...in the Marvel movies we have War Machine, Falcon, and Black Panther.    Seventeen movies in and not one Latino Superhero?   Asian superhero? Well...kind of maybe sort of...although...negative marks for  The Ancient One and The Mandarin.  

Wong is a beast in Dr. Strange and Avengers. :talkhand:

11 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

2 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Then why didn't  the actor Benedict Wong play Dr. Strange instead?

You may think you’re being clever and not completely transparent, but you’re not. Knocking more diversity in casting because it doesn’t go far enough is just a way to keep the status quo. Get outta here with that take.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You may think you’re being clever and not completely transparent, but you’re not. Knocking more diversity in casting because it doesn’t go far enough is just a way to keep the status quo. Get outta here with that take.

I'm not being clever.  I'm pointing out inconsistent thinking.  Bond is an iconic  literary character that has been established a certain way.  He's fictional..I have no problem changing a fictional character any which way...that's the best thing about fictional characters..you can change everything about them.

But watch supposedly liberal MCU and DC Fanboys lose their shit if you change their iconic literary characters.   

I'm not knocking diversity....I want to expand diversity beyond the current narrative of   Diversity = Black.     

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Idon’tbelieveyou.gif

If you want more diversity, celebrate it when it happens AND push for more. You don’t actually want diversity.

I made angry threads about how a deaf actress could have been used in The Shape of Water.  I've made angry threads about Johnny Depp and Taylor Lautner being cast as Native Americans,  I've made angry threads about how Indian actors aren't represented in the US after Outsourced the tv show got cancelled... and how Asian's are barely represented in hollywood.

I'm one of the few that has been entirely consistent on diversity casting.  

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And you also complain when black people get put in white people roles.

Not transparent at all.

I had an opinion on Idris Elba playing Roland based on Stephen King's vision of him based off Clint Eastwood and my own reading of the books. .  I thought casting Scott Eastwood would have been pretty cool.  I never watched the film, but I understand they got around the whole Detta Walker stuff by playing it off as one of Rolands alternative trips to the Tower.

Diversity to me isn't just replacing a white character with a black character and it's mission accomplished.  The problem still exists.

1 hour ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

That said it feels like ther is this huge push to change race for the last 10 years on the charachter...but the majority settle on merely swapping white for black.....here in the US we push for divesrsity..but that mostly means adding more black actors and actresses and shows......what about Inidan, or Hispanic, or Asian...or Arab.  .  

What are you talking about? People absolutely push for more Indian, Hispanic, Asian, and Arab representation in movies.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

What are you talking about? People absolutely push for more Indian, Hispanic, Asian, and Arab representation in movies.

I don't really see that.  Look at this take..and look at every one of  the films mentioned.....it's trying to make a point...but it only addresses one non white protaganist group....like Asian, Hispanic, and Arab/Indian weren't even an afterthought.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2018/mar/05/oscars-2018-radicalism-get-out-me-too

Awards or no awards, Get Out is the start of something

So, Get Out didn’t quite manage the best picture upset so many people were rooting for. Instead Jordan Peele will have to be content with a original screenplay win, though that in itself should be cause for celebration. This, after all, was a horror film released in February, and one that presented subject matter almost certain to prove unpalatable to some of the Academy’s less forward-looking voters. The fact that it even got near the nominations suggests that those widespread efforts to change the Academy’s makeup are ever so slowly working. Besides, Get Out’s influence will ultimately be measured by far more significant metrics than awards statuettes. Along with Hidden Figures, Girl’s Trip and of course Black Panther, it showed that the old beliefs about films with non-white protagonists not selling at the box office are bigoted nonsense. Change is afoot.

1 hour ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I don't really see that.  Look at this take..and look at every one of  the films mentioned.....it's trying to make a point...but it only addresses one non white protaganist group....like Asian, Hispanic, and Arab/Indian weren't even an afterthought.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2018/mar/05/oscars-2018-radicalism-get-out-me-too

Awards or no awards, Get Out is the start of something

So, Get Out didn’t quite manage the best picture upset so many people were rooting for. Instead Jordan Peele will have to be content with a original screenplay win, though that in itself should be cause for celebration. This, after all, was a horror film released in February, and one that presented subject matter almost certain to prove unpalatable to some of the Academy’s less forward-looking voters. The fact that it even got near the nominations suggests that those widespread efforts to change the Academy’s makeup are ever so slowly working. Besides, Get Out’s influence will ultimately be measured by far more significant metrics than awards statuettes. Along with Hidden Figures, Girl’s Trip and of course Black Panther, it showed that the old beliefs about films with non-white protagonists not selling at the box office are bigoted nonsense. Change is afoot.

Not true at all... plenty of folk in Hollywood across the board are pushing for more representation and not just more BLACK representation. Like this sister right here who I know PERSONALLY

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/sorry-to-bother-you-nina-yang-bongiovi-forest-whitaker-boots-riley-producer

She's produced a bunch of African American themed films with Asian sources and is looking to further diversity for women and OTHER ethnic groups as well. Yes, White people tend to think that "diversity" simply means "let's get a black face or two" but most ethnic groups in Hollywood are working together more than you think to push diversity for ALL groups. Stop trying this "divide and conquer" shit... no one is falling for it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not true at all... plenty of folk in Hollywood across the board are pushing for more representation and not just more BLACK representation. Like this sister right here who I know PERSONALLY

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/sorry-to-bother-you-nina-yang-bongiovi-forest-whitaker-boots-riley-producer

She's produced a bunch of African American themed films with Asian sources and is looking to further diversity for women and OTHER ethnic groups as well. Yes, White people tend to think that "diversity" simply means "let's get a black face or two" but most ethnic groups in Hollywood are working together more than you think to push diversity for ALL groups. Stop trying this "divide and conquer" shit... no one is falling for it.

I'm not doing any such thing.  You're seeing what you want to see.  Trying to justify or fit the thinking to your narrative. 

I've been pushing over the years consistently in my posting for more representation...period.  

There a studios partnering with production companies like Pantelion to bring more films marketed towards Hispanic audiences with cross-over stars like Derbez.

Behind the camera, Mexican directors and cinematographers have basically owned the top awards in the industry the last half dozen years. They are getting to make passion projects and not just hired gun studio films.

Talented Asian directors and producers are getting flicks like Crazy Rich Asians to screen with all Asian casting even in the face of initial moves to replace one of the leads with a white actor.

The notion that the only way that diversity and representation in Hollywood is changing is by sticking a black person into a white role is just plain false and you getting a bee in your bonnet over black actors being put into white roles is really weird.

3 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I'm not doing any such thing.  You're seeing what you want to see.  Trying to justify or fit the thinking to your narrative. 

I've been pushing over the years consistently in my posting for more representation...period.  

and yet you chose to do it in the most divisive way possible either because you don't really know what you're talking about or you don't really give a shit.  If you really cared then there are other ways to show it rather than imply that one underrepresented minority is being prioritized over others. I can tell you FOR A FACT that when black films succeed, other monorities in Hollywood look at it as INSPIRATION rather than what you tried to insinuate and that monority groups are working together behind the camera to ensure all our stories get told. I just came back from a meeting with a Black Production company off of a recommendation from a MEXICAN colleague of mine. So yeah... 

20 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I'm not knocking diversity....I want to expand diversity beyond the current narrative of   Diversity = Black.     

Maybe you should read the thread then, where we've been discussing other options besides just picking a black man.

And typically this discussions isn't just "pick a black guy" but "pick Idris Elba." Because he's an awesome actor and great fit for the role.