~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

• 3 weeks later...

I got some of the rednecking in over the weekend and went shooting with my dad. Pistols and his AR. 

I mean…it’s fun. But I don’t get letting it become part of my identity. Just watching what the AR did to those cans vs a handgun, the difference it startling. It’s fun until you think about it being the choice of modern mass shooters for a reason. 

Im good just sticking to my hunting rifles. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

I can’t remember another of these high-profile mass shootings that the shooter was female.

My wife brings this up a lot. The only other one I'm aware of is San Bernardino, but that had a lot of other factors.

Saw a recent nbc article from a few minutes ago that reported the shooter as “a 28 year old female who was previously a student at the school though they were unsure of the year/years attended”. Thought that was an odd and sad bit. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nashville-christian-school-shooter-appears-former-student-police-chief-rcna76876

7 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Saw a recent nbc article from a few minutes ago that reported the shooter as “a 28 year old female who was previously a student at the school though they were unsure of the year/years attended”. Thought that was an odd and sad bit. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nashville-christian-school-shooter-appears-former-student-police-chief-rcna76876

I'm hopefully wrong, but those two details (female former student of Christian school) make me immediately suspect sexual abuse.

• True 2

3 hours ago, Amazatron said:

I can’t remember another of these high-profile mass shootings that the shooter was female.

The vast majority of all homicides are committed by males, and I seem to recall that percentage jumping up when a gun is the weapon. Going to the even smaller population of homicides, with a gun, on many victims...you just aren't going to end up with very many female perpetrators. 

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

Wow Fox News producers can’t believe their luck

230327-Covenant-School-entrance-ew-228p-
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The shooter was identified as Audrey Hale, 28, of Nashville, according to the chief, who said she identifies as transgender.

I change my prediction to: female former student was treated as subhuman for their personal identification by Christian school/community. 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Wow Fox News producers can’t believe their luck

230327-Covenant-School-entrance-ew-228p-
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The shooter was identified as Audrey Hale, 28, of Nashville, according to the chief, who said she identifies as transgender.

That's crazy if true... Don't most transgendered people tend to hurt themselves if they hurt anyone at all? Best believe this will be ALL Right Wing media focuses on.

3 hours ago, MarSolo said:
337858536_995698724667535_75933608872617
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

4,141 Likes, 85 Comments - Crooked Media (@crookedmedia) on Instagram: "Don’t let anyone tell you this couldn’t have been prevented"

Meanwhile, Republicans will scream about how drag queens are the problem.

If it’s true that the shooter is trans, then they will be screaming this to high heavens until the next election.

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

Could putting a cap on how many guns can be manufactured in a year work?

Or putting a limit on how many guns one person can own?

No - it's too ingrained into American culture. It will cause huge problems/issues for a time, but I only see instituting something akin to what Japan or South Korea or Australia or what the UK did as possible responses. We need an extreme response at this point. America and its obsessive gun culture is so unique that there's no one solution fits for it, but taking similar steps as those countries have would certainly help. We don't need band-aids, they haven't worked, the massacres are the wake up call. We need a a shakeup of gun rights in this country that will get heated, unfortunately.

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No - it's too ingrained into American culture. It will cause huge problems/issues for a time, but I only see instituting something akin to what Japan or South Korea or Australia or what the UK did as possible responses. We need an extreme response at this point. America and its obsessive gun culture is so unique that there's no one solution fits for it, but taking similar steps as those countries have would certainly help. We don't need band-aids, they haven't worked, the massacres are the wake up call. We need a a shakeup of gun rights in this country that will get heated, unfortunately.

You mean like Australia's gun buyback program?

• Halal 1

I don’t mean this in the defeatist sense, just in the realist sense, but I don’t think there is any legislative hope for America on guns anytime soon. Maybe by the time my grand children are old enough to hold office. More social change is needed. Like, notice how fearful the average Democratic lawmaker is of speaking out against guns in America. They seem to always qualify their critiques behind “I’m not opposed to guns…”

We need politicians to get the fortitude to explicitly oppose guns, the support a repeal of the second amendment. We simply aren’t there yet, but when you start seeing that on the Sunday news shows, we will actually be in a position where really meaningful change can happen.