Goldeneye 007’s lost Xbox 360 remaster has leaked—as a full-game speedrun

Jason

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

And watching that video there IS still something about the game. Something in how the shooting looks and sounds it’s deadly and quick and still has a certain quality to it.

Absolutely.  People who think it was only good in hindsight should definitely watch.  The fundamentals were always strong.

• 10 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, Reputator said:

Held up by rightsholders. How sad.

Translation: Nintendo was like fuck no if it had to also release on the 360.

I wonder if the PS3 release of the Wii Goldeneye works. It was a pretty cool game. I could probably play it on dolphin but I don't care enough about the Wii to bother trying to get the Wiimote to work on my PC.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:18 PM, Zaku3 said:

I wonder if the PS3 release of the Wii Goldeneye works. It was a pretty cool game. I could probably play it on dolphin but I don't care enough about the Wii to bother trying to get the Wiimote to work on my PC.

The weirdest part of the story for me, and lord knows I don’t know how the games industry works internally, is how does all that work get done without a firm yes from all parties?  Who does this much work on hope?  Someone, somewhere made a really bad call, and even if Nintendo was the final no, it still seems bizarre that this much of a game was good to go before some made sure.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:18 PM, Zaku3 said:

Nope! That is incorrect.

It was actually MGM Studios and its shareholders that put the damper on that. Apparently the studio only wants to feature Bond-licensed merchandise with the *current* actor playing James Bond. Because the Goldeneye remake still featured Pierce Brosnan, it was disallowed. (that is also why in the official, actually released remake, Daniel Craig plays 007, not Brosnan) 

I wonder if this 360 remake could be released now, though? Since not only are we currently *between* Bond actors, but also Amazon owns the movie license, not MGM. I don't want to be too optimistic, but...maybe it could happen?!? 

10 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Nope! That is incorrect.

It was actually MGM Studios and its shareholders that put the damper on that. Apparently the studio only wants to feature Bond-licensed merchandise with the *current* actor playing James Bond. Because the Goldeneye remake still featured Pierce Brosnan, it was disallowed. (that is also why in the official, actually released remake, Daniel Craig plays 007, not Brosnan) 

I wonder if this 360 remake could be released now, though? Since not only are we currently *between* Bond actors, but also Amazon owns the movie license, not MGM. I don't want to be too optimistic, but...maybe it could happen?!? 

I think it's been like this for a long time, too. IIRC there were leaked pics from N64 development that showed different Bonds (Connery, Moore, etc.) in the character select screen, but they never made it to the actual game.

EDIT - apparently this was a hoax, lol

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Look a few posts above, the reason this thread was bumped in the first place.

Right, it's been *leaked* but not officially released. Unless I misunderstood?

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think it's been like this for a long time, too. IIRC there were leaked pics from N64 development that showed different Bonds (Connery, Moore, etc.) in the character select screen, but they never made it to the actual game.

This is correct. RARE put in all the different Bond actors into the N64 game originally. But MGM stepped in and said no to that. So all we got was Brosnan. Sad, but true. 

23 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Nope! That is incorrect.

Ok I take that back. Love you Nintendo. 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, GameDadGrant said:

Nope! That is incorrect.

Given the situation, it wouldn't be the worst idea if they simply changed the face of Bond to the current actor...though Craig is officially done with Bond, so maybe it's in Bond limbo where it might be feasible today? Using Brosnan's Bond as a remaster/port would fit the narrative of reintroducing the game to younger fans who maybe did not play it back in the day, despite that Brosnan is no longer Bond himself (How I would love to see either Dalton, or Brosnan play a Bond villain) 

And before some folks mention how Goldeneye hasn't aged well, it's the framerate hasn't aged well. Sure the controls aren't what we use today, though Dual Analog was possible on the original N64 version using two controllers. So even coding dual analog wouldn't be needed. The gameplay of Goldeneye I think has overall stood the test of time because of its replayability, the unlocking of cheat codes, different difficulty settings that add more objectives, etc. 

1 hour ago, imthesoldier said:

Given the situation, it wouldn't be the worst idea if they simply changed the face of Bond to the current actor...though Craig is officially done with Bond, so maybe it's in Bond limbo where it might be feasible today? Using Brosnan's Bond as a remaster/port would fit the narrative of reintroducing the game to younger fans who maybe did not play it back in the day, despite that Brosnan is no longer Bond himself (How I would love to see either Dalton, or Brosnan play a Bond villain) 

And before some folks mention how Goldeneye hasn't aged well, it's the framerate hasn't aged well. Sure the controls aren't what we use today, though Dual Analog was possible on the original N64 version using two controllers. So even coding dual analog wouldn't be needed. The gameplay of Goldeneye I think has overall stood the test of time because of its replayability, the unlocking of cheat codes, different difficulty settings that add more objectives, etc. 

Parts of it aged well, parts of it should have been more widely adopted, and other parts feel ancient.  The idea of higher difficulties adding newer, more varied objectives to a level is perfect and I wish more games did that.  Enemies being absurd bullet sponges and being caught in endless animation loops whenever they get shot so they look like they’re having a seizure have aged like room temperature milk.

14 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Parts of it aged well, parts of it should have been more widely adopted, and other parts feel ancient.  The idea of higher difficulties adding newer, more varied objectives to a level is perfect and I wish more games did that.  Enemies being absurd bullet sponges and being caught in endless animation loops whenever they get shot so they look like they’re having a seizure have aged like room temperature milk.

I could've sworn that minus the bulletproof caps that get shot off when fired on, don't head shots do yield instant kills? But because of how the aim-assist works in Goldeneye, it doesn't really aim at the most effective areas for quick kills (game only has a crosshair when doing the fine-aiming anyway). Playing Goldeneye in either full mouse support (which does exist in mod form), or a modern dual analog would probably alleviate some of the bullet sponge concerns. 

If I'm honest, I love how the enemies will react to being hit, so I wouldn't change that part. 

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Yup.

Is there a fan translation?

Not only is there a fan translation, but you can actually get the full game in English on an actual GBA cart. They are pretty cheap, too. I got one of those, bought it for $10 at a video game convention. I think it was the Midwest Gaming Classic, IIRC. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2022 at 11:04 AM, Keyser_Soze said:
goldeneye-1.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Goldeneye 007’s HD Remaster could be revealed in the next few weeks, according to a journalist, matching what VGC sources have been told.

@GameDadGrant

I'll believe it when I see it. 

That said, I desperately want it to be true, let alone the remaster be on both Xbox, AND Switch, plus cross-play, and all the business. Goldeneye is one of those many games that is unfortunately normally tied up in licensing issues, so if it does in fact release, it'd be a big deal. 

Same reason No One Lives Forever should be resurrected, and re-released for modern systems, but again, licensing issues. 

• 3 months later...