Official "Look How Insane and Shitty ALL GOP Officials Are" Thread

1 hour ago, legend said:

The guy was bad news and sharing the info with law enforcement is appropriate, but sharing the guy's full name on twitter is kind of horrible. Telling people not to badger him doesn't make it better. If you didn't want that, you shouldn't have shared his full name. People on twitter knowing who he is isn't going to help anything, it's only going to get him harassed and reignite the hate.

I feel like if you're threatening people with harm then fuck it, you deserve to be called out publicly.

7 hours ago, finaljedi said:

I feel like if you're threatening people with harm then fuck it, you deserve to be called out publicly.

To what end? You had a guy who was questioning the way he handled things and the sources of news he tracked, and if you harass him you're just going to push him back.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

To what end? You had a guy who was questioning the way he handled things and the sources of news he tracked, and if you harass him you're just going to push him back.

This. What's the point of possibly going from reforming a dude to pushing him off an angry cliff for making him feel duped and publicly humiliated?

Send the cops his way. That's fine, but don't publicize the DMs. What does that accomplish other than petty revenge?

On 12/30/2021 at 9:04 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They’re floor to ceiling crazy. Reading this and thinking the real problem is wokeism shows that you had childhood lead poisoning. 

I trust my body and transition metals are delicious. Also a smooth brain is a hydrodynamic brain and that can’t be bad. 

Blur out the last name and the user name at least. And unfortunately, this just gave more ammo to guys like Tucker and Rogan. But it also gave more ammo for people on the left. ENGAGE with these people and see why they’re so angry, who knows, you might reach one of them and set off a chain reaction.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Dumb take by unknown Twitter rando.

Twitter doesn't need 200+ people to agree with them; to broad brush all of them is lazy. She lost her committee assignments via House vote, which is a very hard thing to achieve in the House if you're not a straight-up convicted criminal.

From now on, permaban for bad Twitter takes that were only liked by a few people.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:40 AM, legend said:

The guy was bad news and sharing the info with law enforcement is appropriate, but sharing the guy's full name on twitter is kind of horrible. Telling people not to badger him doesn't make it better. If you didn't want that, you shouldn't have shared his full name. People on twitter knowing who he is isn't going to help anything, it's only going to get him harassed and reignite the hate.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:11 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Oh yeah he shouldn’t have done that no question here

These guys THRIVE on anonymity... I am SO SICK of the argument that calling out assholes and racists is going to make them MORE racist. The guy threatened his fucking family and you guys are worried about his feeelings??? Seriously???

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

These guys THRIVE on anonymity... I am SO SICK of the argument that calling out assholes and racists is going to make them MORE racist. The guy threatened his fucking family and you guys are worried about his feeelings??? Seriously???

They have sex offender lists and require the person to introduce themselves to the community as such. If only racist assholes had to do the same thing. :daydream:

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They have sex offender lists and require the person to introduce themselves to the community as such. If only racist assholes had to do the same thing. :daydream:

Right. I'm not saying you out every person that says a rude thing on social media but damn. Threatening a congressman with death and his family? Fuck that guy. Out his ass and make an example out of him.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't give a shit about his personal feelings and I already endorsed forwarding his information to law enforcement. I do care about making productive responses though. I'm struggling to see how him revealing his full name to people on twitter accomplishes anything useful.

13 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't give a shit about his personal feelings and I already endorsed forwarding his information to law enforcement. I do care about making productive responses though. I'm struggling to see how him revealing his full name to people on twitter accomplishes anything useful.

It serves to make an example out of him. I would argue that the anonymity of the internet encourages and exacerbates behavior like this. You take away that anonymity, you maybe you deter the behavior. Maybe the threat of being pubilcly outed will give the next coward that wants to threaten someone's family pause. Either way, it's what he and people like him deserve.

16 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I have zero problems with a random person online doing it but having a public figure doing it is not great. The threatening a congressman should obviously get you at minimum under the fbis watch. 

Why not? He wasn't sicking the Twitterati on someone who had a policy disagreement with him. He outed someone who threatened his family. As he said, Twitter didn't do anything about it and how much can law enforcement really do about it either? I fail to see the distinction between it being ok for a private citizen to out a harrasser but a public figure can't? That's some fine hair splitting right there.

It serves to make an example out of him. I would argue that the anonymity of the internet encourages and exacerbates behavior like this. You take away that anonymity, you maybe you deter the behavior. Maybe the threat of being pubilcly outed will give the next coward that wants to threaten someone's family pause. Either way, it's what he and people like him deserve.

I'm deeply skeptical that "making an example of him" will deter future behavior. All my experiences on social media suggest that this is much more likely to continue the polarization of people rather than deter behavior.

Telling me he "deserves" it either way won't be very persuasive with me because I think "deserve" is a fairly nonsensical concept to begin with :p . Decisions are justified by whether their outcomes are likely to be more preferable than alternatives. The past is unchangeable and only useful in so far as it helps you predict the future which can be changed.

7 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm deeply skeptical that "making an example of him" will deter future behavior. All my experiences on social media suggest that this is much more likely to continue the polarization of people rather than deter behavior.

Telling me he "deserves" it either way won't be very persuasive with me because I think "deserve" is a fairly nonsensical concept to begin with :p . Decisions are justified by whether their outcomes are likely to be more preferable than alternatives. The past is unchangeable and only useful in so far as it helps you predict the future which can be changed.

So you're arguing that the anonymity of the internet has not emboldened not only hate speech but threats of violence? You think these same keyboard warriors would be as vitriolic if they didn't have screen names to hide behind? I think if folks had to be accountable for the bullshit they spewed online they wouldn't be nearly as likely to type a lot of the bullshit they do. This is the key problem with social media... too many hiding behind screens. Public shaming SHOULD be an option for extreme and threatening behavior at the very least. Even if I'm wrong, fuck him, all the people like him.

So you're arguing that the anonymity of the internet has not emboldened not only hate speech but threats of violence?

Whether anonymity initially emboldens people is a separate question from whether people being harassed on social media for bad behavior will polarize them or deter them from such behavior in the future. That is, someone very well may talk shit because they're anonymous when it they wouldn't have if they were not from the start, but they can still become more polarized when harassed after the fact.

Lets set aside even bad actors getting harassed, I've seen initially good actors who get harassed become mentally broken from the onslaught to the point that it changes them for the worse and radicalizes them. If initially good people don't respond well to harassment I have little hope for it having a positive impact on people who were already being radicalized.

Even if I'm wrong, fuck him, all the people like him.

You keep saying that like the only issue here is his personal feelings and nothing else will come of it, when what I worry about is the fallout from the continued polarization of people.

Here's my thing. Even if you want to publicize the DMs and his name, at least air them in a productive way. Push the shit on Fox News and their ilk for stirring shit. You don't have to tell the world that you lied about having friends/family up near him. It would have been very easy to turn this into a feel good story about how being human helped deprogram this one guy from the shit right-wing media pushes out there. Meanwhile, send his info to local authorities. He still deserves to talk to cops.

Instead, you embarrass him in such a way that he's going to wind up on a right-wing talk show and use his story to further push the right-wing narrative.

I have no sympathy for these people, but nothing was ever really going to happen to this guy. Some cops will show up at his door, he'll get spoken to, they'll determine his poses no real risk, and he'll wind up on a list that nobody will ever look at again.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Why not? He wasn't sicking the Twitterati on someone who had a policy disagreement with him. He outed someone who threatened his family. As he said, Twitter didn't do anything about it and how much can law enforcement really do about it either? I fail to see the distinction between it being ok for a private citizen to out a harrasser but a public figure can't? That's some fine hair splitting right there.

I don’t trust public figures to doxx private individuals (even bad ones) it seems to be a serious slippery slope given their reach and influence and could very well lead to violence. 

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let's face the reality: the inevitable outcome will be violence.

The sooner that sinks in and is accepted, the happier we all will be.

The age of "reason" and "rationality" is dead and buried.  Embrace the new age of anger and vengeance.

when my son was born, my wife and I both had good insurance. I've been rooting for violence ever since I got the $5,000 bill.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, legend said:

Whether anonymity initially emboldens people is a separate question from whether people being harassed on social media for bad behavior will polarize them or deter them from such behavior in the future. That is, someone very well may talk shit because they're anonymous when it they wouldn't have if they were not from the start, but they can still become more polarized when harassed after the fact.

Lets set aside even bad actors getting harassed, I've seen initially good actors who get harassed become mentally broken from the onslaught to the point that it changes them for the worse and radicalizes them. If initially good people don't respond well to harassment I have little hope for it having a positive impact on people who were already being radicalized.

You keep saying that like the only issue here is his personal feelings and nothing else will come of it, when what I worry about is the fallout from the continued polarization of people.

People want punishment, which requires nothing of the offender and gives instant satisfaction to the offended. They want this even though reconciliation is the better outcome. It is a shame.

Reading the text exchange it is amazing to see how quickly the man backed off his crazy pretty much just by the congressman being nice to him. And then the congressman turns around and throw the guy like a slab of meat into the tiger exhibit of social media.

There is nothing positive to be gained by publicly outing the man, only more rage. How is that good for any of us?

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

People want punishment, which requires nothing of the offender and gives instant satisfaction to the offended. They want this even though reconciliation is the better outcome. It is a shame.

Reading the text exchange it is amazing to see how quickly the man backed off his crazy pretty much just by the congressman being nice to him. And then the congressman turns around and throw the guy like a slab of meat into the tiger exhibit of social media.

There is nothing positive to be gained by publicly outing the man, only more rage. How is that good for any of us?

Restorative justice is incredibly efficient at curbing recidivism. He did that, and decided to throw in the punitive punishment as well. I get the impulse, but it's super counterproductive. 

2 hours ago, Iculus said:

when my son was born, my wife and I both had good insurance. I've been rooting for violence ever since I got the $5,000 bill.

I'm not kidding. I hope the world burns. My son is 7 years old, and is absolutely fucked. He will never get a chance to make an adult decision. 

14 minutes ago, Iculus said:

I'm not kidding. I hope the world burns. My son is 7 years old, and is absolutely fucked. He will never get a chance to make an adult decision. 

What do you mean?

44 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Collusion with Russia was just the start. As I’ve mentioned before, there’s an international right wing anti-left/liberal movement and the failure to grapple with this fact will be our undoing.

I know nothing will come of it but I feel like this is illegal, right?