~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

5 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Its happening across a lot of the apps. Had my RH that I never use (trying to buy DOGE, not on the platforms I use) ask, caught me off guard. 

From what I've heard, RH isn't even processing new accounts right now.  I went with SoFi since they apparently didn't join in the blocking of these stocks which is a plus for me and they seemed friendly enough to somebody who has no idea what they're doing right now.

4 minutes ago, vaxick said:

From what I've heard, RH isn't even processing new accounts right now.  I went with SoFi since they apparently didn't join in the blocking of these stocks which is a plus for me and they seemed friendly enough to somebody who has no idea what they're doing right now.

Sofi is good, but don't trust me, I shill for them as one of my bestfriends is cousin to a founder (he's stupid rich now though and has cut almost all ties to the family, his mom had to make an appointment to see their first child after eight months). For real though, they are good.

• Shocked 1

47 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I have E*TRADE and find the settlement slow which makes it hard to sell and reinvest quickly.  Merrill Lynch is trash. I really need a better platform for day trading. 

I've found the same to be true. I use E*TRADE for all my longs, so I typically don't mind the 2-3 days for trade to settle, but the instant settle with Robinhood is nice when I want to quickly change positions.

30 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Sofi is good, but don't trust me, I shill for them as one of my bestfriends is cousin to a founder (he's stupid rich now though and has cut almost all ties to the family, his mom had to make an appointment to see their first child after eight months). For real though, they are good.

Does SoFi have fast settlement?  I own IPOE and holding it in a long position. 

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I had to go to our production facility today and one of the pressmen was talking about buying dogecoin in earnest lmfao

In the (virtual) meeting lobby this morning, a colleague of mine keep referring to his big gains in "dog coin."

I didn't have the heart to correct him.

6 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Unintentional humble brag, I just don't pay attention to settle time as I always have enough liquid funds to do what I want to do.

I never leave liquidity in my portfolio. When I am ready to take gains, I usually have another stock or two in mind. I found in the last week or so when I decide to do more quick buying and selling that ML and E*TRADE left a lot to be desired. 

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I never leave liquidity in my portfolio. When I am ready to take gains, I usually have another stock or two in mind. I found in the last week or so when I decide to do more quick buying and selling that ML and E*TRADE left a lot to be desired. 

Nothing wrong with leaving some liquidity for dangerous bets. 

Thankfully the wife sold off some airline and other stocks and did not reinvest it. Then she saw this happening, started reading, and became gung ho.

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

So what do you do when opportunities like the Covid Slam happen? All your in account "money" would be going down, and transfers from outside accounts, especially five figure ones aren't immediate. 

17 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

So what do you do when opportunities like the Covid Slam happen? All your in account "money" would be going down, and transfers from outside accounts, especially five figure ones aren't immediate. 

ML and BofA have instant transfer and I never experienced an issue transferring any amount of money so if an opportunity arises like this Reddit fiasco, I have available cash.

If I need more liquidity, I can sell a security and reinvest it same day, but depending on the frequency, the brokerage will not allow the money to be reinvested until settlement. If the settlements were instant, I wouldn’t have an issue which is why I am looking for a service that has instant settlements for my day to day stuff and I will continue using the other services for long plays. 

13 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

ML and BofA have instant transfer and I never experienced an issue transferring any amount of money so if an opportunity arises like this Reddit fiasco, I have available cash.

If I need more liquidity, I can sell a security and reinvest it same day, but depending on the frequency, the brokerage will not allow the money to be reinvested until settlement. If the settlements were instant, I wouldn’t have an issue which is why I am looking for a service that has instant settlements for my day to day stuff and I will continue using the other services for long plays. 

I get the sense Robinhood has spoiled you with instant deposits and instant settlements, like it has me. I've been doing quite a bit of research the past few days, and can't seem to find another platform that offers these, at least not instant settlements.

At the same time, I also get the sense it's the reason Robinhood seems to be in so much trouble the past few days.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Ok, understood, I guess that almost works for you.

34 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I get the sense Robinhood has spoiled you with instant deposits and instant settlements, like it has me. I've been doing quite a bit of research the past few days, and can't seem to find another platform that offers these, at least not instant settlements.

At the same time, I also get the sense it's the reason Robinhood seems to be in so much trouble the past few days.

I typically don’t need it 99% of the time since I do more long buying than short but this last week, it would have been nice. Then again, they didn’t let you buy the stocks you wanted anyway so I guess it didn’t matter. 

Just now, Amazatron said:

I think it’s moving money in and out of the account from external sources.

I always wire funds and can get them into my E*TRADE account within about 15 minutes of sending from my primary bank. I know RH is popular for immediate funding on ACH draws from your bank.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Hmmm. I can buy and sell on E*TRADE nearly instantly. Money gets added back to my available pool typically within 15 seconds of hitting the order submission button. Or am I misunderstanding your issue @ManUtdRedDevils?

What I have noticed is when the transaction frequency is high, the settlement becomes an issue. If I own NFLX, sell it and use the proceeds to buy AMC.  No issues there.  Then I turnaround later in the day to sell AMC and try to use those proceeds to buy GME, it won’t allow it due to the previous settlement isn’t complete. It is a minor issue that only pops up in these high volatility situations. Since it seems this thread has attracted other investors, I was just reaching out to see if there is a solution that I don’t know about because I am a novice trader. 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

What I have noticed is when the transaction frequency is high, the settlement becomes an issue. If I own NFLX, sell it and use the proceeds to buy AMC.  No issues there.  Then I turnaround later in the day to sell AMC and try to use those proceeds to buy GME, it won’t allow it due to the previous settlement isn’t complete. It is a minor issue that only pops up in these high volatility situations. Since it seems this thread has attracted other investors, I was just reaching out to see if there is a solution that I don’t know about because I am a novice trader. 

That’s weird. Earlier I was bouncing $2000 worth of AMC back and forth for a couple of hours playing 30-40 cent swings and the money always showed back in my available pool within seconds of a sale. Same when I made a couple of $10-$11k moves.

Are you set up for margin trading? I’m wondering if that plays a role?

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That’s weird. Earlier I was bouncing $2000 worth of AMC back and forth for a couple of hours playing 30-40 cent swings and the money always showed back in my available pool within seconds of a sale. Same when I made a couple of $10-$11k moves.

Are you set up for margin trading? I’m wondering if that plays a role?

Thanks. I’ll look into it. I didn’t set this account up with E*TRADE. The original account was with ING Sharebuilder. It then got sold to Capital One, who then sold it to E*TRADE.