The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

21 hours ago, Brick said:

I'll just stick with my 2080Ti and wait for the next batch after these. I'm still only 1440p on a 60Hz monitor after all. 

That makes alot of sense! I've been playing more 1440p / 120 Htz on my Q8fn 65" TV. Especially shooters and racers. I thought the differences would be slim at best visually, but 4k is stunning in so many games now. Fore the most part though 4k / 60 is fine with me, but I can tell the differences to be fair. . .

15 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

$500-600 is more-or-less what I was hoping for

because I suck at waiting for things that I really want {LOL} I'd take 600$ right now for my 2080Ti if I could score a pre-order on a 3090! That said, I really wanna hold off until the you tubers have there hands on these bad boy and we see real world numbers. It's gonna be crazy fun. I have to wait for the 3080Ti & 3090Ti specs also to be able to make a call either way. I'm thinking like some of you earlier that the 3080Ti will be the best bet to replace a 2080Ti with. If it's 800-900 then I'm gonna grab one of them when we start seeing the non founders editions and what they do to them visually, etc. I admit it, I love a good looking gaming PC!

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

With one child's birthday just around the corner, another child looking at colleges, and my wife out of work at present, I certainly have less than I usually do! But I still have nothing to complain about! I am a thankful man, living a thankful life! 

nicely said, having lost so much in the past 2 years {wild fires, our home, the loss of my oldest son, both our jobs, our car, etc} I to am living a wonderfully thankful life. Sure I want things that I would normally just buy, but I have so much in the form of family, friends, etc. It's hard to complain, I really do try not to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20 didn’t we have a bet on when 8k gaming would be possible? Who won? Or was it for 12k gaming?

I’m positive that neither of us wagered anything :p 

My recollection was that the winner gets the privilege to build me an awesome PC.. it might of been a dream because we were riding on dragons fighting ogres but i believe it was real!

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Mr.Vic20 Dumb question because you probably already have it but will you be getting this TV to go with your 3090? It's the one they used to demo to the people yesterday

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED88Z9PUA-signature-oled-8k-tv

:lol: Though it seems as if I am incapable of learning, I learn just a little from my adventures in 4K and those lessons are:

1.) Let them fight (standards wars every generation)

2.) Take a breath between display generations, let the tech  mature

3.) My price point entry is 3,000 for a 65" TV, I don't need or want a bigger screen

I think 4K@120 will beat the experience of 8K@60, currently. In a few years the tech will have matured enough to bite. I do not use a TV like a traditional monitor, as I sit about 6 feet from my 4K OLED with a typical living room setup. PC gamers that game at a desk will seem much more benefit from 8K than myself. VR will also benefit from this bump. As much as I am willing to spend on tech, I like to see results for my money. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

12K, in regard to VR, if I'm not mistaken? 

I think it was just 12k in general, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I do remember bringing up that 12k is the perfect VR resolution due to no aliasing. If only the boards didn’t crash and we didn’t lose all of our PM :p 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

:lol: Though it seems as if I am incapable of learning, I learn just a little from my adventures in 4K and those lessons are:

1.) Let them fight (standards wars every generation)

2.) Take a breath between display generations, let the tech  mature

3.) My price point entry is 3,000 for a 65" TV, I don't need or want a bigger screen

I think 4K@120 will beat the experience of 8K@60, currently. In a few years the tech will have matured enough to bite. I do not use a TV like a traditional monitor, as I sit about 6 feet from my 4K OLED with a typical living room setup. PC gamers that game at a desk will seem much more benefit from 8K than myself. VR will also benefit from this bump. As much as I am willing to spend on tech, I like to see results for my money. 

i see you no GIF by Shalita Grant

We all know you bought / are buying one after I posted it. :talkhand:

• Haha 1

Rumour: GeForce RTX 30 series cards tight supply until end of year

But there is one story I wanted to sit down and make sure I wrote, and that was from an industry source who told me that post-launch there will be "no stock will be available till the end of the year". The first wave of cards is said to be small, very, very small -- possibly the smallest launch in many years.

Another source had something much more damning to say, but I want to flesh that out before I write it. For now, I'm being told stock will be extremely low for the next couple of months. Why? Samsung 8nm yields are unknown at this point, NVIDIA might not want to make too many before the yields improve.

I am not the most PC savvy person out there, so quick question.  

If this is my setup can I simply plug the 3090 into it and it'll work, or would I need other upgrades?

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390 ATX w/ ARGB

800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply

Currently have a 2080ti in there.

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

If this is my setup can I simply plug the 3090 into it and it'll work, or would I need other upgrades?

I think the 3090 is wider than the case but the best thing about that case is you can take the side off so if it is actually too wide you can still use it!

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

other than double checking the card length for the case id think youd be fine.  

10 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

You may need to use the vertical kit for that case.

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The reaction of most everyone in this thread upon the reveal

EAC498-B6-A6-FF-45-BD-BC58-E4-A5-BE0-D6-

Even I an ATI/AMD user since the Radeon 64MB wants one so yes.  Only thing that can get me to go AMD would be not finding a 3080 or 3090 and Big Navi being in between a 3070 and 3080.

30 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the 3090 is wider than the case but the best thing about that case is you can take the side off so if it is actually too wide you can still use it!

23 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

other than double checking the card length for the case id think youd be fine.  

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You may need to use the vertical kit for that case.

4732-D47-A-9-D04-48-A5-901-B-8-F9115-C85

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

That is the side of it? Holy shit its way larger than I thought. 

The reference design is 138mm, it should fit.  If you buy an AIB one that is more than 147mm tall, Lian Li recommends a vertical kit.

(Note -- you'll also be using 3 expansion slots on the back, so you may have to move any other cards.)