The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

26 minutes ago, morph89 said:

How much of a bottleneck do we think a 4770K (stock) + 32GB RAM + 512GB M.2 NVMe would be to pair with a 3090 for 4K gaming?  Currently on a 1080 Ti that does well at 1440p with high+ultra settings. Really struggles with 4K for the most part though. 

I've been on the fence about waiting for Zen 3 to build a new system, but a whole new build + 3090 might break the bank a bit harder than I'd like to at the moment. Then again, it is the apocalypse so... YOLO? :thinking:

I doubt there’d be much of a bottleneck at 4k. You really should OC that CPU, though... just set it to 4.4-4.5ghz and let it be.

5 hours ago, morph89 said:

How much of a bottleneck do we think a 4770K (stock) + 32GB RAM + 512GB M.2 NVMe would be to pair with a 3090 for 4K gaming?  Currently on a 1080 Ti that does well at 1440p with high+ultra settings. Really struggles with 4K for the most part though. 

I've been on the fence about waiting for Zen 3 to build a new system, but a whole new build + 3090 might break the bank a bit harder than I'd like to at the moment. Then again, it is the apocalypse so... YOLO? :thinking:

If you're doing fine with a 1080 Ti at 1440p, then you should expect similar results at 4k with a 3090. 3090 will approach roughly twice the performance of a 1080 Ti, while bumping from 1440p to 4k is at least 50% more demanding on the GPU. You might be losing a little bit of performance, depending on the title, due to being stuck on lower bandwidth DDR3 memory or games that heavily utilize 6+ cores.  But again, that depends on how sensitive a particular game engine is to memory performance (Far Cry games love CPU speed and memory speed).

5 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Strictly for VR two 3070's would be WAY better than one 3080 right?

Not necessarily: it depends if the game in question supports SLI, what the SLI scaling is (some games get a 70% boost over a single card, others a 20% boost), and how much microstutter is caused by the SLI. I ran SLI and Crossfire for years, you’re better off with a single GPU, IMO.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Not necessarily: it depends if the game in question supports SLI, what the SLI scaling is (some games get a 70% boost over a single card, others a 20% boost), and how much microstutter is caused by the SLI. I ran SLI and Crossfire for years, you’re better off with a single GPU, IMO.

Ah, I remember reading somewhere that SLI could be really good for VR but didn't know where it went. Maybe a 3080 now and a second one when Squadron 42 releases 🤔

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

Ah, I remember reading somewhere that SLI could be really good for VR but didn't know where it went. Maybe a 3080 now and a second one when Squadron 42 releases 🤔

I doubt you’ll need 2x 3080s to power Squadrons in VR.

What you read was based on the idea that each card could/would independently render for each eye in VR via DX12’s multi-GPU features. It was never implemented and apparently never will be considering it’s been like 4-5+ years since it was last even talked about.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I doubt you’ll need 2x 3080s to power Squadrons in VR.

What you read was based on the idea that each card could/would independently render for each eye in VR via DX12’s multi-GPU features. It was never implemented and apparently never will be considering it’s been like 4-5+ years since it was last even talked about.

Probably because the excited engineer that breathlessly offered up that idea, discovered later that even a few millisecond desynchronization between eyes would result in vomiting! So much vomiting, and head aches, oh the headaches! :lol:

• Haha 1

I ran SLI for 4 years until I final stopped punishing myself. The handful of users that still do defend it through story telling that is less than truthful and cherry picked examples of solid implementation. Over all, its a massive pain in the ass, and if you want to take advantage of all that power, you have to wait until everyone else has played the game you are excited about while the SLI support gets ironed out. Nvidia themselves do not like SLI now and will largely ignore issues for months at a time. 

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The 3080 is the 17th, 3090 is the 24th iirc. :) 

Crap forgot to mention that.

Also expect low supply so if your heart is set on a 3090 I still recommend trying to get a 3080. 

I am going for the 3080 and if I can get it great if not will go for the 3090.

48 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah may just get the 3080.  I am more interested in finally having a HDMI 2.1 GPU for my LG OLED.  But if I want to appreciate the push for 4k120 I'd need the 3090.

I think I might get the 3080 and sit on it until the 24th. I will return it if I can grab a 3090.

Gonna be so jealous of you 3080/3090 guys out the gate. I'm so excited to see the Professionals get there little hands on these things and we see real world numbers, so exciting. I'm set to build a 4k/120 capable PC rig and just be happy for a long time. I'm hoping this is easy for the 3090 to do across the board, but we hall see. Then I can narrow in on my new TV to pair with it. must be 2.1 {of course} and be able to have a 120{+} refresh rate in 65" and have G-sync would be a great selling point

Really interested to know how you guys feel about there being a Ti version of the 3080 / 3090? I mean wow, if there is still a higher end card there keeping under wraps?? There has been since the 900 series right? The cost though, ouch. Hoping to get 500-600 for my 2080Ti and go for in 12 months from now! Really am interested though to my "Ti" question, do you think NVIDIA is holding on to these too for a later announcement and the cost of course? No one is really talking about this, so maybe I'm just way off here? They said the 3090 was just re branding of their Titan cards, so that leaves the Ti cards to still be announced and really makes me excited to see just what a GPU with little limitations can really do where we are in graphics demands now. Great shit, love watch this stuff play out, as I can't be a Day 1'er this time around...

@hardact , a couple of things make me not really worried about Nvidia dropping a Christmas surprise in the form of a ti variant, those include:

1.) The 3080 and the 3090 will both offer 60FPS in 4K, if not higher frame rates for a few years

2.) DLSS 2.0/2.1 is gaining adoption, which will further extend the life of these cards

3.) 8K doesn't make a lot of sense for almost all use cases right now, outside of VR, and those special few who somehow want to sit 3-5 feet from a 77" display. (note: this is not advised :epilepsy:)

So go right ahead Nvidia, I'm not going to need that extra power for at least another year, by which time there will inevitably be newer, faster cards to fawn over. As for TVs LG is still in "pole position" with their C series, although recent reporting indicates all models up through their latest 2020 units suffer from a general "greying" when attempting to use the supported VRR feature of HDMI 2.1 standard. So, the quest continues for the "perfect" 4K OLED for gaming. That said, I'm definitely not sad about my C9, its damn near perfect!