The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

15 minutes ago, morph89 said:

How are you all ordering your cards? Directly from the Nvidia store? Newegg? Amazon? 

Wherever I can. I have to go to the office next Thursday to pick up my shit that's been down there since March. We won't be going work in the office until sometime next year, but this might impact my ability to order a 3080.  Thankfully I'm off the following Thursday and Friday for 3090 love. 

40 minutes ago, Brick said:

I really want to know what the price for the 3080Ti is going to be. After tax I paid just over 2000 dollars Canadian for my 2080Ti, and the prices and performance of these cards makes me feel like I got ripped off. 

They should have some sort of trade up program for us suckers who got the 2080Ti :p

Got my Dads old pc he built and setting it up now to put the 3080 hopefully in it! I gave him $300 for it so that I could only pay only $1000 on a pc right now and get some 3080 action going.

4790k which I plan to OC (has a decent cooler), 16gb ram, and a 256gb ssd. Ntb for like $200 more than the cost of Windows itself. 

Hopefully I’m not TOO bottlenecked, I might add more ram to it even though I’ll be wanting DDR4 ram when I eventually upgrade the rest. But I’ll see if it’s needed for short term.

Plan is over the next 6-8 months I’ll get a new motherboard/cpu, ram, and a higher capacity high speed ssd and then be all set. Hopefully intel pcie4 is available later this year/early next year.

But man I was so fucking bummed when I had to sell my pc/2080ti early this year and now with the 3080 being better than the 2080ti I’ll probably still be running things better at 4k/60 than I did back then already. So yeah, pretty pumped. Realllly hope I’m able to order one this week.

10 hours ago, stepee said:

4790k which I plan to OC (has a decent cooler), 16gb ram, and a 256gb ssd. Ntb for like $200 more than the cost of Windows itself. 

Hopefully I’m not TOO bottlenecked, I might add more ram to it even though I’ll be wanting DDR4 ram when I eventually upgrade the rest. But I’ll see if it’s needed for short term.

CPU bottlenecks for gaming get so overestimated. As long as that CPU is at 4.3ghz+, at 1440p or higher (especially at 4k) there’s not going to be any noticeable difference between between even an i7 2600k vs a i7 10900k as long as the game isn’t utilizing more than 8 threads.
I went from a 2500k (4 threads) to a 3700k (8 threads), and it made a noticeable difference in some games, mostly in smoothness/frame-timing over raw framerate, though. Going from that 3700k to a 5960x (16 threads) offered nothing noticeable in gaming.

Going for like 150+ fps at 1080p is really the only time a CPU will hold you back right now. :p 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 12:52 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

They should have some sort of trade up program for us suckers who got the 2080Ti :p

I WISH, as I don't feel suckered but a but like I should've waited a bit longer. Losing my Gaming rig and consoles in the fire, I had to build something! Many helped me piece this bad boy together, and where to save a few bucks to be able to get my 2080Ti, so I'm greatfull for what I have, but I want the best damnit!

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

CPU bottlenecks for gaming get so overestimated. As long as that CPU is at 4.3ghz+, at 1440p or higher (especially at 4k) there’s not going to be any noticeable difference between between even an i7 2600k vs a i7 10900k as long as the game isn’t utilizing more than 8 threads.
I went from a 2500k (4 threads) to a 3700k (8 threads), and it made a noticeable difference in some games, mostly in smoothness/frame-timing over raw framerate, though. Going from that 3700k to a 5960x (16 threads) offered nothing noticeable in gaming.

Going for like 150+ fps at 1080p is really the only time a CPU will hold you back right now. :p 

Listen Spork, I need you stop. My erection can only get so large before medical assistance is needed.