The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

So it physically plugs into only 1 slot, but covers 3 slots.  Okay, ya I don't know if I wanted the 3090, but being the tech whore that I am, I'm tempted.  Just didnt want to buy something I can't even use.

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390 ATX w/ ARGB, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+459]

See the source image

So plugging it into that top slot would work?

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

No.  The expansion slots on the back of your case. 

Yes, but you won’t be able to use those other slots anyway (unless you’re using one of those extenders to mount it elsewhere or if they’re super spaced out?)

11 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

So it physically plugs into only 1 slot, but covers 3 slots.  Okay, ya I don't know if I wanted the 3090, but being the tech whore that I am, I'm tempted.  Just didnt want to buy something I can't even use.

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390 ATX w/ ARGB, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+459]

See the source image

So plugging it into that top slot would work?

Yes, it physically only plugs into one slot. Definitely use the top one as most motherboards optimize PCIE 1 for GPUs.

17 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I am not the most PC savvy person out there, so quick question.  

If this is my setup can I simply plug the 3090 into it and it'll work, or would I need other upgrades?

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390 ATX w/ ARGB

800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply

Currently have a 2080ti in there.

It'll fit*

I have a GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 which is 5.6" wide compared to the reported 5.4" width of the 3090 and it fits in a 011 Dynamic, barely.  The power cable does touch the side panel, although there are L- or U-shaped adapters that would solve that problem for me.

*Note: not sure what the 12-pin power adapter Nvidia supplies with its cards will look like.  If it's a big piece of rigid plastic then that is going to effectively add more width the card and not make it fit.  If it's a flexible short cable, then you're fine.  But you might have to take off the side panel into a variety of adapters hit the market.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Based on everything I've been able to read from AIB responses and small articles, this looks like a limited stock launch, potentially very limited. I'm guessing many of us will not be getting a 3xxx series card until late 2020 or early 2021.

It makes you feel bad for the people dumping their 2080 Ti cards now instead of waiting until they actually have a 3080/3090 coming... :lol:

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

It makes you feel bad for the people dumping their 2080 Ti cards now instead of waiting until they actually have a 3080/3090 coming... :lol:

given how little you can sell them for, it seems better to either hold them like you suggested or repurpose them, but some folks are really excited I guess! :p

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

given how little you can sell them for, it seems better to either hold them like you suggested or repurpose them, but some folks are really excited I guess! :p

I mean, ~$500 seems about right. The 10xx series was an anomaly with price retention because of the pricing and (raw) performance difference with the 20xx wasn’t THAT huge unless you went for a $1000-1200 2080 Ti. The main allure for the 20xx was the RTX features which didn’t have much support until semi-recently - which actually was making 10xx series finally drop in price (was seeing 1080 Ti cards for $400-ish a couple months ago).

Someone on Reddit said Microcenter will prioritize stock to people who stand in line outside the store, which seems a bit surprising during the pandemic. Unfortunately, we don't have Microcenter here and there's no word on how Best Buy will be handling it yet.

23 minutes ago, Rev said:

Someone on Reddit said Microcenter will prioritize stock to people who stand in line outside the store, which seems a bit surprising during the pandemic. Unfortunately, we don't have Microcenter here and there's no word on how Best Buy will be handling it yet.

I have a microcenter near me. It'a in Paterson so it might dissaude people from camping out. Will wake up early on the 17th and wait outside. 

How much of a bottleneck do we think a 4770K (stock) + 32GB RAM + 512GB M.2 NVMe would be to pair with a 3090 for 4K gaming?  Currently on a 1080 Ti that does well at 1440p with high+ultra settings. Really struggles with 4K for the most part though. 

I've been on the fence about waiting for Zen 3 to build a new system, but a whole new build + 3090 might break the bank a bit harder than I'd like to at the moment. Then again, it is the apocalypse so... YOLO? :thinking: