The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, nVidia dropped Watch Dogs Legion as the 3xxx series pack-in game and instead I received the new CoD Cold War game and The Falconeer. Looking around, WDL promo codes for sale have seemingly dried up and the best deal I can find is $30 (meanwhile, CoD promo codes are going for like $15-20) - is it worth $30 or should I wait for the inevitable spring sales in 2-3 months?

If you like COD then I’d keep it! I got it on ps5 for Christmas and it’s a fun one this year imo. Just bit dumb over the top action that’s fun to play with some great looking set pieces and the rtx shadows are nice.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I just experienced an anecdote! 

Set my BIOS back to all default settings, booted up Windows, played some Overwatch and noticed some mouse lag plus the FPS was dropping to 200.  

Restarted and my RAM was set at 2400 MHz, so I put it to 3200 MHz.  Play overwatch and doesn't drop below 240 FPS.

when i got my build up and running my memory was at like 2133 instead of 3600.  i enabled DOCP but then it wouldn't post and gave me the DRAM led or whatever its called on the motherboard.  I had flashed the bios to the latest after that happened and it was able to post but i have been afraid of trying to enable again in case it doesnt post.  not sure if that would have been a bios things and should be fine to enable now

DOCP is just amd equivalent to XMP right? The motherboard and ram should run at that speed, it’s just an opt in; I’d try to enable it again in bios and see, make sure you aren’t doing anything else different with voltages or whatever just enable the extended profile.

I kinda did it wrong enabling XMP and ended up overclocking the ram to its regular default speed or something weird and it changed voltages and caused crashes. Then i went back to default and made sure to just set XMP and then it kicked in to the 3,200 speed and worked fine.

8 hours ago, Firewithin said:

when i got my build up and running my memory was at like 2133 instead of 3600.  i enabled DOCP but then it wouldn't post and gave me the DRAM led or whatever its called on the motherboard.  I had flashed the bios to the latest after that happened and it was able to post but i have been afraid of trying to enable again in case it doesnt post.  not sure if that would have been a bios things and should be fine to enable now

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 have a hard time hitting 3600.  3400 is when they top out.  If you're on Ryzen 3000+, try again.  You shouldn't hurt anything. Perhaps try setting the correct voltage first, then docp.

Spent some time with setting my cpu oc and got it locked to 5.1ghz all cores, and have my 3080 ftw at 2010mhz (firmware unlocked to 450w) and Cyberpunk runs okay. 

At 4k dlss performance rtx ultra it’s pretty much always 2-5fps off half the time and 60fps the other half. Pretty sure this is about as far as I can go (if it’s even stable) so I’ll just have to hope for the patches to improve performance just a tiny bit and I’d be good.

I settled on 1440p balanced dlss rtx ultra and that pretty much locks in the 60 while driving and everything and honestly it looks fucking amazing so whatevss.

Got the Hybrid Kit for my 3090 FTW3 and pleased with the results, OC'd to 2100MHZ and temps under 60C but damn that pump noise sucks. So annoying when at idle. 

Here are my before and after shots. Still need to organize my GPU cables a little better. 

PittOm8.jpg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

4 hours ago, Rbk_3 said:

Got the Hybrid Kit for my 3090 FTW3 and pleased with the results, OC'd to 2100MHZ and temps under 60C but damn that pump noise sucks. So annoying when at idle. 

Here are my before and after shots. Still need to organize my GPU cables a little better. 

PittOm8.jpg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I just got that same case! I love it.

19 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Kinda like the before setup honestly.

Didn't go well with the red accents on the GPU. It really doesn't matter though since the tint on the case is so damn dark. 

It is just Chromax Fans though so I can always switch the tab colors if I want. 

18 hours ago, stepee said:

I just got that same case! I love it.

Yeah I like it, I had a Meshify C before but couldn't properly fit the 3090 in it. 

I think I’ve got my pc pretty settled with clocks I like while being stable. I had a crash at 2010mhz on the ftw3, might have been some other stuff I was messing with but just settled on 1995mhz and that works great.

Put cpu at 5.1mhz all core and it maxes out in the 70’s still and is quiet. I freakin love this cpu fan.

Ram I pushed from 3200 to 3600, it does squeeze a few more frames out of Valhalla which is now benching for me just 1fps under what I’m seeing for the 3090. In general when I look at any 3080 benches I’m up above it now so yeah good stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

The “resize BAR” feature requires that your motherboard manufacturer also provide a BIOS update. So if you are interested, you will need to update your mobo BIOS and enable this feature on the motherboard via settings - IO - encode 4G and then enable “Resize BAR”. This in conjunction with the Nvidia driver coming in late March will enable this feature.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The “resize BAR” feature requires that your motherboard manufacturer also provide a BIOS update. So if you are interested, you will need to update your mobo BIOS and enable this feature on the motherboard via settings - IO - encode 4G and then enable “Resize BAR”. This in conjunction with the Nvidia driver coming in late March will enable this feature.

Yuppp. My updated bios for this is available so I’m all ready once the driver hits! I had zero idea this was going to be a thing and certainly just got lucky with my motherboard pick.

I would have been pretty disappointed right now to be getting 10% less in a bunch of games just because of some silly feature I overlooked. 10% is nothing to sneeze at, and it doesn’t seem to be something communicated very well for people who did 3000 series builds.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t believe that will help legend if he has a 3000 series thought right?

I think it's definitely possible, but there has been confusion about what is required to enable on a given mobo/chipset. This article lays out the case for it working, so, I think it's coming but its based on each vendors efforts. 

@legend

AMD-SAM-Hero2.jpg
VIDEOCARDZ.COM

AMD Smart Access Memory for older Ryzen CPUs At launch AMD Smart Access Memory only worked on Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 series There have been rumors that Ryzen processors prior to Zen3 do not support a special PDEP instruction at a native speed, which would affect the performance of the Resizeable BAR feature also […]

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I mean in theory it should definitely work, it’s the same tech, but I feel like nvidia would need to enable support in their drivers for it and they don’t list Zen2 as supported so I wonder if they plan to. I guess I just wouldn’t get too excited yet unless it shows as support now, but maybe!

I’m also a little confused by this since I thought it was only a pcie4 feature and having a intel 10th gen rig I’m on pcie3. But I guess my motherboard (msi z490 A Pro) has some pcie4 features? I don’t quite get why it does, I think it even technically can support pcie4 nvme besides the fact that you can’t because intel..but this works. Weird.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, I mean in theory it should definitely work, it’s the same tech, but I feel like nvidia would need to enable support in their drivers for it and they don’t list Zen2 as supported so I wonder if they plan to. I guess I just wouldn’t get too excited yet unless it shows as support now, but maybe!

I’m also a little confused by this since I thought it was only a pcie4 feature and having a intel 10th gen rig I’m on pcie3. But I guess my motherboard (msi z490 A Pro) has some pcie4 features? I don’t quite get why it does, I think it even technically can support pcie4 nvme besides the fact that you can’t because intel..but this works. Weird.

Yeah, its a touch confusing right now. There is no functional reason why these various chipsets couldn't be included, as AMD is already supporting them provided your mobo has the right BIOS. Nvidia could just be pulling an Nvidia and not allowing certain chipsets, BUT, I feel fairly confident that they will continue to add chipsets as time goes on. Nvidia's implimentation seems like it will be curated as opposed to AMD's "you get what you get!" approach. Check this article out, it seems to be showing us a snapshot in time and I expect more chipsets to be included as time goes on, not unlike their G-sync program. 

nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-b
WWW.NVIDIA.COM

Support available now for GeForce RTX 30 Series laptops and GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards, with full support for other GPUs following in March.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, its a touch confusing right now. There is no functional reason why these various chipsets couldn't be included, as AMD is already supporting them provided your mobo has the right BIOS. Nvidia could just be pulling an Nvidia and not allowing certain chipsets, BUT, I feel fairly confident that they will continue to add chipsets as time goes on. Nvidia's implimentation seems like it will be curated as opposed to AMD's "you get what you get!" approach. Check this article out, it seems to be showing us a snapshot in time and I expect more chipsets to be included as time goes on, not unlike their G-sync program. 

nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-b
WWW.NVIDIA.COM

Support available now for GeForce RTX 30 Series laptops and GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards, with full support for other GPUs following in March.

I’m glad Nvidia is doing it the way they are since apparently it can slow some games down, and I imagine now unless there is some weird reason this should be in most big upcoming games that could actually use it.

And yeah, I suppose it doesn’t even hurt nvidia to allow whatever supports it, they don’t make desktop cpu’s. 

What’s with the pcie4 support on z490 motherboards though? I mean, it’s cool this works, but in regards to anything else isn’t z490 dead going forward? It seems like stuff that will never have a use unless I missed something.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m glad Nvidia is doing it the way they are since apparently it can slow some games down, and I imagine now unless there is some weird reason this should be in most big upcoming games that could actually use it.

And yeah, I suppose it doesn’t even hurt nvidia to allow whatever supports it, they don’t make desktop cpu’s. 

What’s with the pcie4 support on z490 motherboards though? I mean, it’s cool this works, but in regards to anything else isn’t z490 dead going forward? It seems like stuff that will never have a use unless I missed something.

YEah, PCIe4.0 on the Z490 is a "barely" situation, where it works but the CPU doesn't increase total available PCIe lanes, so if you add one too many NVME drives, it can take away lanes for either your GPU or one of those drives. Starting with Rocket Lake, this won't be an issue because all future CPU chipset lan controls will go up a few lanes. We live in a time of duct tape and half measures my friend! :p

• Like 1

AMD-Ryzen-3000-Smart-Access-Memory-Resiz
WCCFTECH.COM

In addition to the Radeon RX 6700 XT unveil, AMD also announced that is bringing Smart Access Memory (Resizable Bar) technology to its Ryzen 3000 Desktop CPUs based on Zen 2 cores. This is great news for a large majority of PC users who are running Matisse CPUs and the extra boost in performance thanks […]

@legend

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I saw Resize Bar in my bios already.

Weird though the bios can't be updated from the internet directly anymore though.

Who is the manufacturer of your motherboard? Several of them have moved to a desktop app to support the update from the web feature. 

So exactly what part does this make more efficient as far as is this gain on the gpu end or the cpu end? So if you are off 10% in gpu power and this is doing it’s thing are you getting that gain or are you bottlenecked by cpu still?