Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Switch version listed on Amazon UK

Brian

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Are the Joycons capable of the same motion controls that the Wii remote with the Motion + were? 

They are. This is easily a case where they could offer a game with all the motion controls plus a more standard control scheme for portable play.

5 hours ago, Brick said:

Are the Joycons capable of the same motion controls that the Wii remote with the Motion + were? 

Capable?  Yes.  It’s probably not a simple 1:1 translation however.

There was actually more advanced motion sensing tech in the Wii U pad than the Wii Remote Plus.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Eh. The combat was the best part of the game, for the most part. The problem is the game itself just kinda blows.

The motion controls become annoying after a single play-thru.  It isn't that the game is exhausting to play, but you always have to be activity involved. You can't lay down down with a plate of pizza on your stomach sipping soda through a silly straw while making Link do back flips. You could do that if the game had normal controls. 

Spoiler

I have never done any of that. I don't play games while lying down. I sit in a chair. I don't eat and play games at the same time either. I feel I need to say this because I think you people would actually believe I do all of that. 

27 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I wouldn't know since I couldn't stomach an entire playthrough of all that backtracking, boring-as-hell slog. :p

The backtracking complaints are overblown IMO.   There’s a few parts where it gets a little overzealous with it.  But nothing as bad as Gamecube Wind Waker’s triforce sailing quest on the whole.

Just to bring it up, Star Fox Adventures is the worst example of backtracking in a Zelda-like I’ve played.  Game desperately needed a warp whistle.  But it also relied on that padding.

I actually think SS is great and really fun. The opening is absurdly handhold-y and tedious but after that it's a lovely game.

Curious to see what changes they bring to the table here. I don't have a Switch yet but if I get one down the line I'm picking this up if they tightened it up a bit.

9 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

I'd be down for this if true as I've only played a few hours of it. So, I'd rather spend $60 dollars than get my Wii out of storage and hook it up lol

I never made it very far with Skyward Sword either and I'm with you on preferring avoiding a reason to set my Wii back up. I remember primarily wondering why they didn't use the sensor bar to keep the Motion+ controller oriented to avoid having to constantly re-center the controller. I understand it was a completely different set of sensors yet it seemed like they could have used it as an extra data point to just tell the thing which way forward was. The Joycons are better on that front, right? So that alone would make it worth it.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I have never done any of that. I don't play games while lying down. I sit in a chair. I don't eat and play games at the same time either. I feel I need to say this because I think you people would actually believe I do all of that. 

Yup, you had me before I read the spoiler. :p

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

I never made it very far with Skyward Sword either and I'm with you on preferring avoiding a reason to set my Wii back up. I remember primarily wondering why they didn't use the sensor bar to keep the Motion+ controller oriented to avoid having to constantly re-center the controller. I understand it was a completely different set of sensors yet it seemed like they could have used it as an extra data point to just tell the thing which way forward was. The Joycons are better on that front, right? So that alone would make it worth it.

The joycons aren’t better in that, because there is no sensor bar.  They’re supposed to be better for other things than pointing generally.  There are some games like World of Goo that are said to have figured it out.

SS didn’t use the IR cursor because Nintendo wanted to get away from you needing to point so directly when you’d be swinging that much.  In theory, it’s not a half bad idea, that does kind of work.  The big problem was execution with the hardware.  There’s drift that you, the player, are given a dedicated button to fix.  Wiimote + can’t even tell if it’s being held upright or flat without calibration.

If they can fix that much, it’ll be a better time.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

I'm sorry but motion controls are so integral to the experience

Except for maybe the one moment in the final boss, I don't consider any of that integral. Almost nothing will be lost if the remake the combat into something more similar to the other Zelda titles. 

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Except for maybe the one moment in the final boss, I don't consider any of that integral. Almost nothing will be lost if the remake the combat into something more similar to the other Zelda titles. 

The game has the most immersive combat in any game ever made. If a guy holds up a shield you have have the ability to move your sword to a spot where he's not blocking. You can't do that in any other game.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The game has the most immersive combat in any game ever made. If a guy holds up a shield you have have the ability to move your sword to a spot where he's not blocking. You can't do that in any other game.

This is a sarcastic post, yes? 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Isn't the basically the combat in for honor and kingdom come deliverance?

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah but no one cares if it requires pulling off the tango with my motion control device to get it to be done well. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Remaking the combat into something similar to other Zeldas would ruin most of the bosses and mini-bosses.  They’d also have to fundamentally redesign most of the enemies just to try.  Either that, or attempt some directional swipe solution with the sticks that wouldn’t play like traditional Zelda either.

Reverting the game to something like TP would fundamentally change the combat for the worse.  SS is where they finally got out of their rut with it. 

46 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Why not? Enemies hold a directional defense and you have find a different direction in order to land a hit, how is that fundamentally different than SS.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t For Honor only use three attack directions? (top, left and right) Kingdom Comes has five.

Skyward Sword’s enemies are designed around 8-10, dependent on if you count thrusts and beam sword attacks.  And occasionally it benefits from more granularity than that, with things like throwing/swatting projectiles towards something, or cutting apart wooden shields.

I’d be curious from those who played Kingdoms if they thought 5 directions was too limited, too much, or just right.  Isn’t there a risk of over complicating a control scheme like it when it isn’t motion based?