Giant explosion in port of Beirut

https://apnews.com/d6503f7d779f2790218fe29121368788?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

A massive explosion shook Lebanon’s capital Beirut on Tuesday wounding a number people and causing widespread damage.

The afternoon blast shook several parts of the capital and thick smoke billowed from the city center. Residents reported windows being blown out and a false ceilings dropping.

The explosion appeared to be centered around Beirut’s port and caused wide scale destruction and shattered windows miles away.

An Associated Press photographer near Beirut’s port witnessed people wounded on the ground and widespread destruction in central Beirut.

Some local TV stations reported the blast was at Beirut’s port inside an area where firecrackers were stored.

27 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

(Rest of the thread, etc)

Holy damn that's big. I remember doing something like this for my chemical plant safety /process design class back in college. One of the more fun and interesting engineering classes imo

That's probably an overestimation. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Don't worry the idiot is "helping"

As far as the size i feel like the blast in a China a few years back was similar in size, that one was at night and had a massive fireball though.

China's was definitely bigger. Plus it was more lethal. China said 150 perished so it was probably quite a bit higher than that.

18 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I was unprepared for the size of that explosion.

Yeah, I would not have expected or imagined that. :( 

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Just heard on NPR that they could feel reverberations from the explosion in Cyprus. 

Registered as a 3.3 earthquake.