~Backlaugust is back for a third time!~

Brick

It's back again for the third year in a row! We do this every year over at Negative World, so we should make this an annual thing here too! Last year was fun, and people seemed to enjoy the encouragement to clear out more games from our collective backlogs during the month of August, hence Backlaugust!

The rules are simple:

- tell us what you're playing, and on what system so we can cheer each other on, and help each other out if we have any tips

- play a game from your backlog, either a game that's been sitting in your library for a long time that you've decided to finally play and finish, or a game you started long ago, but for whatever reason stopped playing and have been meaning to get back to and finish

- don't use a game that is new, or a game that you're already currently playing, pick a game from your actual backlog

- pick a game that you already own (no buying games you've been meaning to get for a while)

- when a game is actually "finished" is up to you. Whether that be completing the main story, getting 100% completion rating, getting all Achievements/Trophies, or just whenever you feel "done" with a game

- post when you're finished, and all the games that have been finished will be added to this OP

All right, let's get started, and have some fun getting some of our backlogs done! Let's see how many games we can complete!

Last year we completed 21 games, let's see if we can beat that, or at least beat the folks over at Negative World!

THE FINISHED PILE

1. Darksiders III - XxEvil AshxX

2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - Brick

3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Paperclyp

4. Flower - crispy4000

5. Greedfall - XxEvil AshxX

6. Metroid: Samus Returns - Kal-El814

7. Far Cry 4 - skillzdadirecta 

8. Murder by Numbers - Kal-El814 

9. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 

10. The Outer Worlds - Keyser_Soze 

11. Titanfall 2 - Keyser_Soze 

12. Mutant: Year Zero "Seed of Evil" Expansion - number305

13. Supraland - crispy4000 

14. Assassin's Creed Rogue - Brick

15. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - skillzdadirecta 

16. Vanquish - Brick

17. Fire Emblem Awakening - Kal-El814 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I have way too many to finish

Breath of the Wild (switch)

God of War (PS4)

Gears 5 (X1/PC)

Half-Life: Alyx (VR PC)

plus a ton I haven’t started from the Steam sale and I just bought Control for $19 for my PC yesterday.

I'm in the middle of Control as well, but since I'm currently playing it, it doesn't count as backlog.... yet.....

Ok there's got to be a trick to killing Gluttony that I'm just not figuring out.. the game (Darksiders III) hasn't been all that difficult to this point, but Gluttony is absolutely annihilating me. None of my weapons seem to be doing much damage to him at all. Is it just me or did the difficulty spike to ridiculous levels?

EDIT: Nevermind.. once I read that Gluttony can't inhale you if you have the Force Wrath activated, I was able to take him down pretty quick. :doh:

Maybe They are Billions? They added a campaign and I just barley started playing a day or 2 ago. Though I'm not huge on RTS games so I have no idea how long I'm going to last playing.

I have 10 or so games installed, but I don't really think any of them are feasible to beat in just a month (Witcher 3, Divinity 2, Kingdom Come). Maybe DQ: Builders 2 or Gravity Rush 2.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm bouncing between The Outer Worlds, Carrion and Grounded at the moment (but grounded can't be beaten)

And maybe I'd like to go through RE2 and 3 again at some point

Oh yeah and finish Black Mesa

This all is somewhat ambitious for me. :p

Well Grounded and Carrion wouldn't count because they just came out, and you've been playing them. I say focus on getting Black Mesa finished. 

Oh, I've got one! My Wii U has been sitting in my closet for years, and I was thinking about giving it to my niece, but there's still one highly embarrassing piece of backlog that I never finished on that thing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I remember that I had gotten through most of the story, but at some point got bogged down in the open world stuff and just fell off of it. 

So I've hooked my Wii U back up, and I'm going to focus on that, and see if there's anything else left on there that I feel like wrapping up before parting with the system. 

On 8/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, Nokt said:

Maybe They are Billions? They added a campaign and I just barley started playing a day or 2 ago. Though I'm not huge on RTS games so I have no idea how long I'm going to last playing.

I have 10 or so games installed, but I don't really think any of them are feasible to beat in just a month (Witcher 3, Divinity 2, Kingdom Come). Maybe DQ: Builders 2 or Gravity Rush 2.

They are Billions looks so cool!

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

They are Billions looks so cool!

I think its a pretty interesting take on RTS focusing on survival rather than a traditional RTS. The campaign is alright, its not stellar, but the game is fun so.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Oh, I've got one! My Wii U has been sitting in my closet for years, and I was thinking about giving it to my niece, but there's still one highly embarrassing piece of backlog that I never finished on that thing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I remember that I had gotten through most of the story, but at some point got bogged down in the open world stuff and just fell off of it. 

So I've hooked my Wii U back up, and I'm going to focus on that, and see if there's anything else left on there that I feel like wrapping up before parting with the system. 

I'm the same. I've previously attempted Ganon (but not beaten) and fell off after just looking for shrines to improve my stamina and then looking for arrows/better equipment. Realistically, it would take a day to finish the game and feel satisfied but I've just not got to that point in my life yet. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

How about tabletop games? Can I throw playing some tabletop games I've been meaning to play yet never have into this endeavor?

I've never considered that actually. Hell I don't even know how tabletop games work!

I didn’t see this thread until now, but I never beat sekiro, got stuck on the last boss.

I just ran through the whole game in about 20 hours, fairly comprehensive run, and just wrecked the game. 

It is up there for favorite From games, a dev I hold in very high regard. 

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I didn’t see this thread until now, but I never beat sekiro, got stuck on the last boss.

I just ran through the whole game in about 20 hours, fairly comprehensive run, and just wrecked the game. 

This kind of reminds me that I also didn't beat Sekiro, however, I kind of stopped playing somewhat early on so I feel if I were to revisit the game I'd probably have to start over.

Also, I was thinking about Nioh as well

(I'm kind of thinking of games I already have installed so I don't have to uninstall HZD because I want to play it after they patch it :p )

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This kind of reminds me that I also didn't beat Sekiro, however, I kind of stopped playing somewhat early on so I feel if I were to revisit the game I'd probably have to start over.

Also, I was thinking about Nioh as well

(I'm kind of thinking of games I already have installed so I don't have to uninstall HZD because I want to play it after they patch it :p )

Did you happen to reach the first real Genichiro fight? 

16 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I beat Sekiro recently and posted my victory against the last boss in that thread. So satisfying to beat that fucker.

45 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Here's a question,  when you guys dive back into a game on your backlog that you already started, do you pick up where you left off or do you start over so you van relearn the mechanics and story? When I tackled Sekiro recently I started over from the beginning.  I wasn't that far into it initially though.

If it has been any meaningful amount of time away, I will typically start over. Even with Sekiro I was literally on the final boss and started over. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Here's a question,  when you guys dive back into a game on your backlog that you already started, do you pick up where you left off or do you start over so you van relearn the mechanics and story? When I tackled Sekiro recently I started over from the beginning.  I wasn't that far into it initially though.

Really depends on the game, and how far into it and how much I remember. I've got a good memory though so I usually pick up where I left off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 4:54 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Here’s how I handle it:

Pick up where I left off. 
Realize I’ve completely forgotten how to play the game. 
Spend an hour or two trying to get reacquainted with it. 
Realize that whatever problem I had with it that caused me to stop playing is still a problem for me. 
Maybe I’ll try to restart it, but more than likely I move onto something new.

And this is why I’m bad at this particular exercise.