~Backlaugust is back for a third time!~

Brick

18 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Here’s how I handle it:

Pick up where I left off. 
Realize I’ve completely forgotten how to play the game. 
Spend an hour or two trying to get reacquainted with it. 
Realize that whatever problem I had with it that caused me to stop playing is still a problem for me. 
Maybe I’ll try to restart it, but more than likely I move onto something new.

And this is why I’m bad at this particular exercise. 

Pick up where you left off

Realize you forgot how to play

Start over

Get bored and leave off at the same point you originally left off at

I've been spending the majority of the month trying to get through Greedfall. The game isn't bad but holy shit is it slow. It takes so long to get through a quest. Between the traveling back and forth and sitting through tons of dialog, I usually get through maybe three quests in a multi-hour play session. I literally feel like I"m wasting August away just trying to kill off this one game, but I'm afraid if I put it down to play something else, I'll never go back to it.

You can put me down for Flower.  Easy one.

Was about as good as I expected it to be, and still looks goregous (played in 4k on PC).  It's interesting to see what ideas were later used in Journey and Abzu.  Turning around in tight corridors is a bit of a mess though.  But not bad for a <$2 Steam sale pickup.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Here’s how I handle it:

Pick up where I left off. 
Realize I’ve completely forgotten how to play the game. 
Spend an hour or two trying to get reacquainted with it. 
Realize that whatever problem I had with it that caused me to stop playing is still a problem for me. 
Maybe I’ll try to restart it, but more than likely I move onto something new.

And this is why I’m bad at this particular exercise. 

I recently picked Far Cry 4 back up and I didn't bother to start over. I was early in act 2 when I stopped playing it before. Now I'm loving it and already think its better than Far Cry 3. It's a shooter so the mechanics aren't that complicated

FINALLY get to scratch Greedfall off the list. I enjoyed it well enough, but holy shit that game needs to be played when you feel like taking your time in a game, because nothing in that game happens quickly. It definitely gets my vote for Talking Simulator of the Year.

Gonna do my Backlog Barbecue write-up on it pretty soon which I'll tear it a new one, as is apparently my custom.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Just a reskin, sadly. Energy tanks are kegs of Guinness, Power Bombs are cabbages, and the weapon upgrades are just different kinds of potato.

I imagine instead of shooting rockets at the doors to open them, she just kinda kicks at them repeatedly and maybe smashes a bottle.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I imagine instead of shooting rockets at the doors to open them, she just kinda kicks at them repeatedly and maybe smashes a bottle.

I KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE MEGAN, OR METROID, OR WHATEVER... DON’T MAKE ME USE THIS SUPER MISSLE TO OPEN THIS DOOR

Just finished Farcry 4 which I actually enjoyed gameplaywise more than Farcry despite the game suffereing from typical Ubisoft open world bloat. I think Ubi could learn a lot from sucker punch on how to populate an open world game with stuff to do without overwhelming the player... the maps in their games can be so cluttered with shit you literally have no idea what to do next sometimes. That said I enjoyed the gameplay loop and will continue to buy their games day one only to finally play and beat them years later :p

I think I have JUST enough time to get one more game in my backlog done before August is done... Deus Ex mankind Divided, you're up!

I beat: Titanfall 2

Had it sitting on the hard drive for literally years and figured I'd get to it. Thought it was really cool. 1 level is like Half-Life's wet dream and another one (as I said in other thread) is like that new Ratchet and Clank game but without any fancy tech :thinking:

If you're sad that Xboxsex doesn't have halo at launch perhaps fire this one up, it's quite impressive and probably better than any Halo campaign. Biggest gripe I'd say some of the textures not so great, like Commander Briggs having no textures on her face. :p

header.jpg?t=1596381666

CubeGif.gif?t=1556459910

I don't think I've seen anyone on this board talk about Supraland yet.

This game scratches that new Metroid Prime itch I've had for years now, but does it in a way that is totally own thing.  It'd be an A-class first person puzzle game even if it wasn't a semi-open world.  But unlike the Witness, it doesn't ever make itself feel obtuse.  Secrets are hidden everywhere and rewards are constant. I have over 30 unfound chests of about 200 after I saw the credits roll.  It's just very clever, not unfair.

It's also got a bit of a BoTW-vibe since you can finagle your way almost anywhere.  I don't want to spoil what that is about, but there's way more freedom than you'd expect.  Even if you don't have your full toolkit.

Only flaws are that combat isn't all that great, or important.  Also, I twice managed to run into an invisible wall where the game told me I'd lock myself in an unsolvable zone with my current powers.  Couldn't they have built the walls higher or something?  Since it's a very small team (mainly 1 guy at the helm), there are also some budget constraints.  Don't expect grandiose boss fights.

Overall, a 9.5/10 game.  20+ hours of discovery and fantastic puzzles.  One of my favorite game worlds ever.  I'll be 100%-ing, just to know what the hell I missed.

Go play the demo.  Hopefully the game comes to consoles soon.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I need to get back into Vanquish. I dropped it at one point.Adding that back to the list.

Funny thing is when I was originally playing Rogue I knew I was one mission from the end, but I wanted to get the best armour, so I figured I'd do that first, but then for whatever reason, I guess other games, I stopped playing for years. Finally go back to it, and I'm outside the Animus, and as soon as I go back on after finishing the modern day stuff I'm plopped into the final mission. Eh, fair enough, I'll do a bit of it, and then go back to exploring for the collectibles. The final mission was 10 minutes and then the credits rolled lol. Looked at how much I need to do to get that secret armour, and nah fuck it. Never knew I was 10 minutes away from finishing it lol. 

Now playing Vanquish I don't really remember what's going on, but whatever. Finished one level, and then decided to go back to it because I missed an easy Trophy, so I used the level select to replay it. All my weapons have lost their upgrades, and there's no way to go back to my original playthrough. Goddammit. 

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finished Deus Ex Mankind divided last noght. I enjoyed this one more than the first game but wouldn';t mind revisiting both at some point down the line.  Gonna try and power through Call of Cthulu between today and tomorrow.

I've had both of those sitting on my XBO hard drive forever. I started playing Human Revolution and it started off cool enough, but once it went to the open world running around the city, it just lost me. 

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I've had both of those sitting on my XBO hard drive forever. I started playing Human Revolution and it started off cool enough, but once it went to the open world running around the city, it just lost me. 

I had a similar experience with Human Revolution... Mankind Divided is a little more focused at least.