Keep cars out of cities

1 hour ago, Jason said:

p4zhda03j9x91.jpg

Safer than letting kids wander around the neighborhood at night where some drunk 25 year old in a Pennywise costume is going to run them over. My church did this when I was a kid. They still do it today. But of course if you're a kid you just look at it as doubling up because I'd do the trunk-or-treat and the trick-or-treat.

I love in a townhouse community, very walkable and a ton of places to trick or treat. There was a trunk or treat scheduled nearby. Halloween was rained out, but trunk or treats can be rescheduled and this one was. A thousand people must have been there, or more. It was great and we were really thankful that it was there.

• 2 weeks later...

This video is fantastic. She does an excellent job of articulating the problem of strict zoning very briefly. She even goes into how exclusive zoning restrictions end up creating the problems they're trying to avoid (mixed-use zones ensure a constant flow of activity, keeping the streets safter. You're almost never walking alone)

15 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

j9tClBq.jpg

one would be forgiven for thinking she may be the victim here but really she drove drunk and killed two kids crossing the street in a crosswalk because she was going 80mph in a neighborhood.

She’s wealthy and white so she gets pieces like this in the papers though

While xhe deserves prison and I have no pity for her, theres no evidence she was drunk. Her BAC was taken immediately, and was below the .08 limit. So at no point will the prosecution be able to intimate to a jury that she was drunk. 

In the end, she probably goes down for two counts of manslaughter or whatever California's equivalent is. 

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

While xhe deserves prison and I have no pity for her, theres no evidence she was drunk. Her BAC was taken immediately, and was below the .08 limit. So at no point will the prosecution be able to intimate to a jury that she was drunk. 

In the end, she probably goes down for two counts of manslaughter or whatever California's equivalent is. 

Not legally drunk at the time of the test isn’t exactly a slam dunk defense in the face of two dead kids

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
f61980ca750ec808ed24c15ff4d89ad4.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

DEARBORN, MI—Touting the new model’s power, toughness, and ability to ‘get the job done,’ the Ford Motor Co. began production Thursday on its 2023 F-450 pickup, which reportedly comes equipped with a shotgun as a standard feature in case the truck fails to kill a pedestrian on impact. “When you’re behind the wheel of…

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just had our first "nice" day of the year. Almost everyone I interacted with today complained about how bad the traffic was. Like it's some big mystery that our first nice day in 5 months makes people want to go out and do things.

But more than that, I wanted to scream "LIKE YOU! YOU ARE THE TRAFFIC THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH!"

when people drive, something changes in their brain to where they see everyone else as simply an obstacle that is in, specifically, their way.

There's probably a study that could be done about how isolating yourself inside a metal box makes you dehumanise the rest of the world. Maybe someone has already done it.

If it's so nice outside, why didn't you just walk somewhere? Oh, right, maybe the problem is you live somewhere that isn't within walking distance of literally anything except other houses.

• True 2

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

We just had our first "nice" day of the year. Almost everyone I interacted with today complained about how bad the traffic was. Like it's some big mystery that our first nice day in 5 months makes people want to go out and do things.

But more than that, I wanted to scream "LIKE YOU! YOU ARE THE TRAFFIC THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH!"

when people drive, something changes in their brain to where they see everyone else as simply an obstacle that is in, specifically, their way.

There's probably a study that could be done about how isolating yourself inside a metal box makes you dehumanise the rest of the world. Maybe someone has already done it.

If it's so nice outside, why didn't you just walk somewhere? Oh, right, maybe the problem is you live where that isn't within walking distance of literally anything except other houses.

Did you move back to Portland? It's 66 and sunny here today, and I could absolutely see this applying to PDX today. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Did you move back to Portland? It's 66 and sunny here today, and I could absolutely see this applying to PDX today. :lol:

Yeah I'm in Portland for the moment. Not sure how long. My apartment is month to month and I pretty much don't own anything, so... Whenever a job pops up somewhere else I'll probably leave again.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, BloodyHell said:

Was just browsing through this thread and saw this. You are very wrong here. If the police determine you’re drunk through your actions, you’re still considered drunk.

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

Was just browsing through this thread and saw this. You are very wrong here. If the police determine you’re drunk through your actions, you’re still considered drunk.

No, you are very wrong here. You absolutely have to fail a bac/sobriety tests to be legally drunk. Police can’t just decide you’re drunk. They need evidence, it’s simple due process.

Although the law refers to a 0.08 percent BAC, you can be convicted of driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor even when your BAC is below 0.08 percent. Consuming even small amounts of alcohol dulls the senses, decreases reaction time, and hampers judgement, vision and alertness. If you consume any amount of alcohol and your driving is negatively impacted, you can be convicted of drunk driving.

WWW.NJ.GOV

On 11/23/2022 at 10:30 AM, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, this is incorrect. A BAC over the legal limit just gives more weight to the notion that your ability to drive the vehicle was impaired by a substance. But one can be charged and convicted of what is called per se intoxicated driving crimes if there is evidence of impaired driving separate from the BAC being over the limit when tested.

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

BAC measured by a test is as good as slurring on a dash and body cam to a cop “yesh officur im fuckin DRUNK”: It’s a search you consent to! doesn’t mean there isn’t or can’t be other evidence against you upon which you can be charged!

I mean, you can technically refuse a breathalyzer, but it's not like they're just going to let you be on your merry way if you do. You're going to get arrested, and while you're at the station they absolutely can force you to take a test, as far as I'm aware.

You know who doesn't worry about drunk driving? People who live in places where you can walk or take transit everywhere.

I've been to bars in Japan and Europe where they don't give two shits how drunk you get. They will serve you until you fall down. I've even been to one bar in Tokyo that had someone who would pick up your unconscious body and drive you home, free of charge. Failing that, you could just pass out on a step somewhere and no one would bother you.

I've bartended in America for a long time, and we have very harsh punishments and regulations for over-serving people. Why? Because we assume everyone is driving everywhere all the time.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Source?

Whoops!

sustainability-logo-social.png?8600e93ff
WWW.MDPI.COM

Walking is the most sustainable means of daily travel for short trip distances and is a key component of the overall transport system. This paper documents variation in walking rates among...

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Whoops!

sustainability-logo-social.png?8600e93ff
WWW.MDPI.COM

Walking is the most sustainable means of daily travel for short trip distances and is a key component of the overall transport system. This paper documents variation in walking rates among...

Thanks. It's interesting that Canada is also on the downslope considering that car bloat and road engineering aren't significantly different than in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a meme on Facebook yesterday that made me think of this thread. It basically said:

If the workers manning the stores in your walkable neighborhood have to drive 30 minutes to get to work, you're not living in a walkable neighborhood, but rather a theme park. 

:daydream:

11 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I saw a meme on Facebook yesterday that made me think of this thread. It basically said:

If the workers manning the stores in your walkable neighborhood have to drive 30 minutes to get to work, you're not living in a walkable neighborhood, but rather a theme park. 

:daydream:

And then those same people fight tooth and nail to oppose any and all new housing in their own neighbourhoods. If I never hear the phrase "neighborhood character" again, it will be too soon.