Keep cars out of cities

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

When society all but requires that you own a car to function, that's not freedom. That's life being locked behind a paywall that costs thousands of dollars per year and destroys our cities.

Listen, my Sports Car that costs me thousands of dollars a year in maintenance, service, premium gas and registration is freedom buddy! You don't understand freedom until you pay 500 dollars for a basic service ok!

Seriously though I love my car and track it, but unless you're in the car community it is 100% not worth it.

CPC -> moderate dem, so this bodes well for policy from dems in the US. Our chuds just say no to transit funding and cities full stop, especially since this would encroach on the single family home suburbs that republicans think preserving is a winner for them

I can’t even do the “worst person you know…” meme because he is very not the worst

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't post about this earlier, but

BIKEPORTLAND.ORG

It would be an unprecedented reversal of a protected bike facility.

So a few years ago, Portland city council voted unanimously to add a protected bike lane along W Broadway, one of the main corridors going through downtown. That stretch of road had some of the highest car/bike collisions in the city (I myself have been right hooked there more than once, and that's with bright green paint and shit)

The fucked up thing is that getting that protected bike lane put in took YEARS of planning and research. Seriously, it was almost a decade and millions of dollars conducting economic impact studies, traffic studies, safety studies, and lobbying before it was finally voted on. Then it took another few years to finally be implemented.

After all that, the protected bike lane was there for all of 8 months, and all it took was for a couple hotels on Broadway to be like "WAAAAHHHH! WE DON'T LIKE IT!" and PBOT just goes "okay, take it out."

A few days after that article was posted, PBOT issued a statement saying "there's nothing imminent happening, we're just conducting a review and exploring options," meanwhile an e-mail was leaked that showed they had already approved the removal of the protected bike lane.

Over a decade and millions of dollars of fighting to get the thing in and all it takes to take it down is 2 business owners who don't like that their valet parking is slightly inconvenienced.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

A new housing development outside Phoenix is looking towards European cities for inspiration and shutting out the cars. So far residents love it

I dunno about how I feel about the tech startup vibes of this place, but if the general concept of a neighborhood without cars can get off the ground in Arizona it should be able to get off the ground anywhere.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Chris- said:
WWW.KGW.COM

Video shows the Portland man plowing past blockades and nearly hitting several people along the Rose Festival’s Grand Floral Parade route.

There is an absolutely incredible needle drop at the end of the article.

Lock him up and throw away the key. 

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Saw that yesterday. Guy seems like a POS.

Mecham is a registered sex offender. He has prior convictions from 1999 for attempted first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy in Multnomah County. In 2016, Mecham was convicted of third-degree sodomy and third-degree sexual abuse in Clatsop County, according to court records.

oh... didn't see this tidbit. Yikes

I was hoping the article would say why he has a dash cam in the first place. Certainly you shouldn't be doing something like that if you know you're being recorded.

Potentially selling my car today and downgrading to one between me and my wife, and even though it makes all the sense in the world I still have a nagging worry about the loss of convenience...Given our working situations (we both work remotely and if/when we ever need to go into our offices, we are a 10-15 minute walk from downtown), lifestyle (we rarely need or use both at the same time), and the car's value (plus savings on insurance/parking) the pros heavily outweigh the cons, but car culture is a bitch to deal with!

• Halal 2
  • Hype 1

I’m at a point now where I only drive about once a week. I walk, ride the bus, or ride my e-bike everywhere. We will see how well I stick to that when winter really hits. :p

But the next step on my career path will likely have me working from home, and if that happens the car is definitely going away. 

• Hype 2

On 11/1/2023 at 7:58 AM, Chris- said:

Potentially selling my car today and downgrading to one between me and my wife, and even though it makes all the sense in the world I still have a nagging worry about the loss of convenience...Given our working situations (we both work remotely and if/when we ever need to go into our offices, we are a 10-15 minute walk from downtown), lifestyle (we rarely need or use both at the same time), and the car's value (plus savings on insurance/parking) the pros heavily outweigh the cons, but car culture is a bitch to deal with!

One of the things I miss about Baltimore was the walkability, everything I needed was within five blocks, my car stayed parked for nearly four months. Now I am back in the land of the car and that is in no way feasible. 

Thought people might find this video interesting. It's about how the social democrat government of BC is rolling out new housing/transit initiatives to make housing more affordable (since transit and housing are so closely linked), and the plan is actually good. For reference the Vancouver GMA has around 2.5 million people, but because of the geography (peninsula and coastal region) there are real constraints on anything but building up. Despite this, there has been massively sprawl away from the coast, but also anti-densification issues. Recently an Indigenous group gained control of land at the heart of Vancouver and is being allowed to ignore all zoning due to their historical claim to the land, and they plan to build massively dense housing, which is going to be amazing.

The government of Canada is investing a bunch of money into housing on the condition that provinces/cities change their zoning to allow more density, and while many places are now accepting the new rules/funding, others are.

Vancouver is probably already the best or one of the best cities in North America, but only if it can solve its housing issue.

tl;dw:

Effectively, the new provincial laws will allow the province to overrule cities and NIMBYs in all cases. In general, anything with 200m of a skytrain stop will allow any level of density, up to 20 storeys in height, and they are massively expanding the skytrain network. It scale out from there, for anything within 800m being up to 8 storeys.

h30kMlU.png

WWW.YAHOO.COM

Originally, the plan was to build a subdivision in the area, which would have provided 2,400 homes.

When the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department offered $25 million to buy 515 acres with the aim of turning the area known as Honey Creek into a state park, the Urbanczyks knew it was a perfect deal.

Now, the sparklingly clear stream water, the throng of cypress trees, and the various protected species at Honey Creek will be carefully maintained for years.

“We’ve had a lot of fantastic memories out there, and now the people in Texas are gonna get to really enjoy it for the next thousand years,” Ronnie Urbanczyk, who owns a concrete company, told Texas Monthly.

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.YAHOO.COM

Originally, the plan was to build a subdivision in the area, which would have provided 2,400 homes.

I mean... 2400 new single-family homes in subdivisions is not the kind of housing we need. We need fucking townhomes and apartment buildings. We need the missing middle. 

Adding 2400 single family homes addresses the housing crisis the same way adding a 10% off coupon to prime grade steaks addresses hunger. Cool, the venn diagram of the people who have money for steak but not enough money for GOOD steak is like having the circles barely touch.

By creating nothing but single family homes, we are catering to a smaller and smaller market. Not to mention the environmental impacts of development further away from cities, which makes the environmental impact worse.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean... 2400 new single-family homes in subdivisions is not the kind of housing we need. We need fucking townhomes and apartment buildings. We need the missing middle. 

Adding 2400 single family homes addresses the housing crisis the same way adding a 10% off coupon to prime grade steaks addresses hunger. Cool, the venn diagram of the people who have money for steak but not enough money for GOOD steak is like having the circles barely touch.

By creating nothing but single family homes, we are catering to a smaller and smaller market. Not to mention the environmental impacts of development further away from cities, which makes the environmental impact worse.

From my experience, apartment building living is horrible. Townhomes can be very nice, though. I hope I never get woken up again by the fire alarm going off due to a false alarm.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

From my experience, apartment building living is horrible. Townhomes can be very nice, though. I hope I never get woken up again by the fire alarm going off due to a false alarm.

Sure, some people hate living in apartments. I, for one, long for the day where I could have a wall that isn't somehow shared (I haven't had that in years). The problem is that, in most of America/Canada, you are ONLY allowed to build single family 3/4 bedroom homes. For the most part, that is the only new housing that ever gets built.  The few apartment/condo buildings that get built both come with so much red tape and are in such high demand that they become luxury housing by default.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Sure, some people hate living in apartments. I, for one, long for the day where I could have a wall that isn't somehow shared (I haven't had that in years). The problem is that, in most of America/Canada, you are ONLY allowed to build single family 3/4 bedroom homes. For the most part, that is the only new housing that ever gets built.  The few apartment/condo buildings that get built both come with so much red tape and are in such high demand that they become luxury housing by default.

They had a multi-apartment building complex being built in Reno, NV, that was all luxury apartments when I moved. $1,660-$3,550 for studio-3-bedroom apartments is just crazy imo. Maybe if I was rich I'd live in one of these.

REDRENO.COM

Brand new luxury studio, one, and two bedroom floor plans are now available at RED's...
REDRENO.COM

Find your dream apartment today at RED. Search from our available new luxury studio, one, and two bedroom floor plans at our...

Emory-Exterior-Sunset-1%5E_(1).jpg

RED-Park-aerial-LED-Screen-Chet-1%5E_(1)

That’s what always annoys me whenever I see a new apartment building open up. “It would be cool to live there… oh wait, their smallest unit is more than twice my current rent. Nevermind.” Not far from me, an old playing card factory was converted into a mixed use space that is the kind of thing that I like to see, but I want the inexpensive, practical version. I don’t need a “luxury” apartment, I just want one with thick walls and reliable plumbing. Living above trendy boutiques and microbreweries sounds cute, but also give me an Aldi or something else boring but useful. Living in a “city within a city” sounds great, but it’s dumb that you have to leave that space if you want to, say, feed your family. 

But it’s not like new houses are typically built with poor people in mind either. 

• Like 1

TECHCRUNCH.COM

The National Transportation Safety Board wants to mandate intelligent speed-assist technology on all new vehicles.

On a Saturday afternoon in January 2022, a 2018 Dodge Challenger ran through a stop sign in Las Vegas, picked up the pace to a speed of 103 miles per hour and flew through an intersection on a red light. The Dodge struck the right side of a Toyota Sienna minivan, which carried seven occupants, causing four more vehicles to crash. The driver and passenger of the Dodge, as well as every passenger in the minivan, died.

The National Transportation Safety Board, a U.S. government agency that investigates such accidents, found that in this scenario and many others like it, a technology that limits the speed of vehicles could have mitigated the scale of this tragedy. The driver, who was found to have cocaine and PCP in his system which impaired his decision-making, had a record for breaking the speed limit.

The NTSB concluded that intelligent speed-assist technology (ISA) should be standard equipment in all new vehicles to prevent needless deaths. It’s no longer enough, the agency argues, to rely on states to deter driver speeding and recidivism. The agency, which doesn’t have the power to make regulations, is calling on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to mandate the use of this technology going forward.

This seems like a good idea, but it would be nice if they could also add it to older vehicles for people with a bad speeding record.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

"But what about the 0.1% chance that a crazy thing happens and I need to go 200mph?! Huh libs?"

On Twitter today someone argued this with "what if you live in rural Montana and need to get grandma to the hospital, you really want to be stuck only going 65?"

• 3 weeks later...