Keep cars out of cities

On 6/20/2022 at 10:25 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Whoever designed or thought this up I'm putting to the wall.

I feel like this is the kind of stuff that gets Elon Musk all randy.  Take something that was fairly efficient but could be better with technology, and make it worse but packaged better.

• 2 weeks later...

I live across the street from a grocery store but I drive 8 miles to Ralph's because they offer 20 cents off a gallon for gas.

Yesterday the battery died in my car so I decided to walk across the street to do the shopping. It took around the same amount of time it would have taken to drive to the other store, shop and drive.

If there was an easier way to carry the groceries (and the store had lower prices) I might consider doing it more often. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
AA10lYBq.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

Senator wants U.S. agency to address risk of children being struck by SUVs

A U.S. senator on Friday asked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to address the risk of unseen children being struck by sport utility vehicles (SUVs.)

Senator Richard Blumenthal, who serves on the committee overseeing the NHTSA, said the rising size of SUVs is leading to larger frontal blind zones that make some children not visible above the hood. Congress previously mandated cameras to address rear backover crashes, and Blumenthal said "a similar, simple solution of front visibility standards could help prevent these deaths."

He wants the NHTSA to release incident data, saying it "is critical to understanding the true scope of frontovers and the steps that can be taken to prevent these tragic incidents."

Not directly related to SUV visibility, but fines/fees/tolls should be graduated based on a vehicles curb weight. A hatchback and large SUV getting in a crash will do vastly different levels of damage so penalties for accidents, fines for speeding or moving violations should go up based on the weight of the vehicle. Curb weight is easy data to obtain since make and model are already tracked with registration and whatnot. Since heavy cars also cause more wear and tear on the roads, it makes sense to base tolls on vehicle weight as well. 

Anything that qualifies as a light duty vehicle should require a special license/endorsement to operate. Most people aren't going to bother to get get a special license to keep driving enormous vehicles, and states don't need to wait on the feds to make it happen.

• Halal 2

On 7/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

I live across the street from a grocery store but I drive 8 miles to Ralph's because they offer 20 cents off a gallon for gas.

Yesterday the battery died in my car so I decided to walk across the street to do the shopping. It took around the same amount of time it would have taken to drive to the other store, shop and drive.

If there was an easier way to carry the groceries (and the store had lower prices) I might consider doing it more often. 🤔

OR, and this is key.. allow mixed use development so that you can have a grocery store within walking distance so that you don't need to buy so many groceries every time you go to the store that you need a car to haul them home.

When I lived in NW Portland, there were like 5 full grocery stores within a 10 minute walk of my house. With that kind of accessibility, you just get in a habit of buying what you need every day or every other day. Buying groceries isn't some major event, it's just something you do on the way home every day.

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

OR, and this is key.. allow mixed use development so that you can have a grocery store within walking distance so that you don't need to buy so many groceries every time you go to the store that you need a car to haul them home.

When I lived in NW Portland, there were like 5 full grocery stores within a 10 minute walk of my house. With that kind of accessibility, you just get in a habit of buying what you need every day or every other day. Buying groceries isn't some major event, it's just something you do on the way home every day.

I go once every two weeks. I don't want to spend my time in a grocery store more than that.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I go once every two weeks. I don't want to spend my time in a grocery store more than that.

Because it has become a chore. Groceries isn't just something you spend 10 minutes on buying a six pack of beer and some bread, it has become an entire task with shopping lists and logistics. It might be TWO WEEKS before you see a grocery store again, better get everything you might need! And probably end up throwing a significant portion out because you never actually use it. Or you buy food loaded with preservatives to make sure that doesn't happen.

That kind of behaviour is a direct result of car dependent infrastructure.

The woman involved in the deadly high-speed crash last week (that resulted in 6 deaths, including a baby and pregnant woman) is being charged with murder:

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

Nicole Lorraine Linton faces six counts of murder and five counts of gross vehicular manslaughter in connection with the fiery crash.

She has apparently been involved in 13 previous crashes, but still had a license.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@sblfilms wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.

What in the article suggests the driver intended a suicide by auto crash, which is what you all in the other thread assumed?

On 8/5/2022 at 12:44 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

If you're driving that fast it's no accident. That driver wanted to die.

Sounds like she is just a terrible driver.

But nice try, my man

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Nice try yourself Mr. It was on a hill

If you are driving 95 on a 45 speed limit (and busy) road you've got a death wish (intentional or not)

MovingGoalPosts.gif

The N.T.S.B. also found that the “probable cause” of the crash was Mr. Zhukovskyy “crossing the centerline and encroaching into the oncoming lane of travel, which occurred because of his impairment from use of multiple drugs.”

Last week, Judge Peter H. Bornstein of Superior Court dismissed eight charges that were related to Mr. Zhukovskyy’s drug and alcohol intake at the time of the crash, saying in court that “there is simply insufficient evidence from which a jury can find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was impaired to a degree.”

• Guillotine 1

The driver isn't mentioned until the fourth paragraph. 

42F75491-8E21-4385-888B-25D19E92B8C7.jpe
WWW.ARLNOW.COM

(Updated at 7:55 a.m.) Ireland's Four Courts in Courthouse caught fire after a car barreled into it at the height of dinnertime Friday. The fire is now out after a two-alarm fire department...

7736a29b151634cc755b4df7bd9730c2
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

A man drove his car into a barricade near the U.S. Capitol early Sunday and then began firing gunshots in the air before fatally shooting himself, according to police, who said he did not seem to be targeting any member of Congress. The incident happened just before 4 a.m. at a vehicle barricade set at East Capitol Street NE and 2nd Street SE in Washington. The attack is reminiscent of an incident when a man drove a vehicle into two Capitol Police officers at a...

AA10Elem.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

The Pennsylvania borough of Berwick is once again reeling after police say a man plowed his car into the Intoxicology Department restaurant and bar, killing a 50-year-old woman and injuring 17 others. Police say the suspect then drove a mile away before he repeatedly beat and killed his mother with a hammer. Social media videos show the bar was holding a benefit for the family members of a deadly house fire that killed ten people the next town...