Keep cars out of cities

On 10/3/2022 at 5:59 PM, Jason said:

Seems bad. 

I mean, its not like 10k lb hummers will be everywhere. They aren't everywhere now. 

Electric has so far to go before its viable for Trucks. Ford's Electric batteries last about 100 miles while towing, which makes it completely worthless compared to my GMC Duramax Diesel. I can't even take my bass boat out to our cabin without charging before I get there? Or haul our Opus 15?  That's ridiculous. When I've got enough range to tow a minimum of 300miles without charging, ill consider switching to electric. Until then, Ill stick to Diesel. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, its not like 10k lb hummers will be everywhere. They aren't everywhere now. 

Electric has so far to go before its viable for Trucks. Ford's Electric batteries last about 100 miles while towing, which makes it completely worthless compared to my GMC Duramax Diesel. I can't even take my bass boat out to our cabin without charging before I get there? Or haul our Opus 15?  That's ridiculous. When I've got enough range to tow a minimum of 300miles without charging, ill consider switching to electric. Until then, Ill stick to Diesel. 

You are an extreme outlier

19 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Oooh yeah, data me, daddy

EIGHTY-FUCKING-SIX PERCENT OF PEOPLE IN INLAND EMPIRE HAVE ACCESS TO 2 OR MORE CARS, WHAT THE FUCK @The def star

To put that in perspective, 23% of people in the New York MSA say they don't have access to a car at all

It's true. I have 3 cars myself. A lot of the neighborhoods out here you'll constantly see cars parked in the streets because the drive way is already full. Not sure why we have so many cars. The 3 cars I have are cars I accumulated over the 22 years that I have been driving. I think it's mostly because a majority of people that live in the Inland Empire have to drive to LA or Orange county for work. I mostly work from home but occasionally have to drive to the offices in Irvine from here. That's over 100 mile round trip.

ALL CARS SHOULD HAVE GOOGLY EYES!

If this doesn't become quickly mandated by every government in the world we have failed as a species.

Seriously though, it's an entertaining and surprisingly helpful addition to self driving cars. Having some kind of visual indicator that the car sees you does solve a real problem, and it makes the cars themselves much more entertaining.

• Halal 1

30 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Or we could just ban cars from urban centers. Much cheaper and safer.

Certain cities in Europe have been dabbling with that. Berlin recently (or is about to, I can't remember) ban private vehicles from the city center. Paris has effectively done so. There are fairly large swaths of Rome that has done so. Barcelona introduced "superblocks."

Basically, they don't ban driving, what they actually do is ban parking (Paris, Berlin) or basically make the roads a maze for anyone but pedestrians/cyclists and force cars onto major roads (Barcelona)

Certain neighborhoods in Portland have started dabbling with superblocks. In Northwest Portland, all north-south traffic gets funneled along a one-way couplet. If you try to drive through the neighborhood any other way, you'll eventually get funneled onto it.

I honestly think banning parking for non-residents is the move, though. Don't allow non-residents to park in urban centers outside of parking garages, and force residents inside urban centers to pay for parking passes. Support for public transit will skyrocket before I can finish cumming.

• Like 1
  • True 1

17 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Certain cities in Europe have been dabbling with that. Berlin recently (or is about to, I can't remember) ban private vehicles from the city center. Paris has effectively done so. There are fairly large swaths of Rome that has done so. Barcelona introduced "superblocks."

Basically, they don't ban driving, what they actually do is ban parking (Paris, Berlin) or basically make the roads a maze for anyone but pedestrians/cyclists and force cars onto major roads (Barcelona)

Certain neighborhoods in Portland have started dabbling with superblocks. In Northwest Portland, all north-south traffic gets funneled along a one-way couplet. If you try to drive through the neighborhood any other way, you'll eventually get funneled onto it.

I honestly think banning parking for non-residents is the move, though. Don't allow non-residents to park in urban centers outside of parking garages, and force residents inside urban centers to pay for parking passes. Support for public transit will skyrocket before I can finish cumming.

We should do what Japan does and force you to prove you have a place to park your car. Onus on the car owner and not housing developer. 

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We should do what Japan does and force you to prove you have a place to park your car. Onus on the car owner and not housing developer. 

That's effectively the same as having parking passes for residents, right? Like, to park your car in the street in a given area you have to have an address in the zip code.

41 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That's effectively the same as having parking passes for residents, right? Like, to park your car in the street in a given area you have to have an address in the zip code.

Kinda. The police iirc come to your home and certify you have a private parking space (not street) for your car before you receive it

• Halal 1

27 minutes ago, Jason said:
NITTER.NL

New Zealand passed an SB827 style nationwide upzoning near jobs and transit--and it's working!

Nooo my precious community review and design standards