Keep cars out of cities

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I'll try to talk to someone about carbrain and it feels like I'm talking to a brick wall. It's kind of frustrating. And then the more I dig my heels in, the more I end up bringing up stroads and zoning laws and the other person just starts to think I'm a crazy person.

I wish I could just force everyone to watch like 3 videos from Not Just Bikes. Doesn't matter which 3, just pick any. I feel like hating car-centric infrastructure is something that everyone intuitively feels, but so many people have it so ingrained into their heads "this is the way it always has been and the way it always will be" 

• True 1

Man, Ars Technica usually has very good comments but they're completely fucking car-brained. Multiple people are trying to argue with me that I don't know what I'm talking about on it being simple and quick to create paint-only bus lanes and that it absolutely takes 4-5 years just to put red paint down on the street. :rolleyes: This even after showing that NYC went from deciding to do the 14th St busway in April 2019, which then opened in October 2019, and that it was supposed to open July 1, 2019 and the delay was just legal wrangling from people suing to try to stop it.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
MINNESOTAREFORMER.COM

Uber is making a last-ditch effort to kill legislation on its way to becoming law in Minnesota, which the company says could cause it to shut down operations in the state completely. In emails to...

It's a bluff. And I hate that there are people who can't see through it.

"If you pass this bill, we won't be able to operate!"

"You mean literally no one will want rides if we pass this bill?"

"No, we just won't make any money from those rides!"

"How in the everliving fuck is that possible? You pocket like 25% of every ride for being a middle man! If you can't make money from that, that sounds like a YOU problem!"

Taxi companies have existed for centuries and they figured out how to make it work. I'm sure Uber can do the same, even if they don't want to.

It's like all of these restaurant owners in the south that say they wouldn't be able to operate while paying their employees the federal minimum wage. You know what we have in Oregon? a minimum wage of $15.45. You know what else we have? Restaurants. The market doesn't fucking disappear because you have to pay people more, it just means you have to adjust to the market.

.... Fucking ghouls.

• True 1

a24075d6-9e82-4ba1-ad59-30efd7afe700_114
WWW.KGW.COM

A man in a wheelchair was struck by a hit-and-run driver. Firefighters arrived in four minutes and he was still alive. He died waiting 32 minutes for an ambulance.

This shit makes me mad.  This was a hit-and-run case, so they'll never know who did it.

Almost 7,500 pedestrians/cyclists were killed by cars in America in 2021, and that number has risen every year since 2009. Probably because people are driving bigger and bigger cars, on average.

About 43,000 people were killed in that same year by car accidents in general (I actually can't find if that number includes pedestrian deaths or not). That number has gone up every year since 2011, when it hit an all-time low since they started tracking these things on a national level.

You would think, with those numbers, people would want to y'know... do something about it. Instead, because people are so shackled to their cars, it's just thought of as "the price of FREEDOM!" "It's okay if 50,000 people die mostly preventable deaths every year as long as I get to feel good about myself in my isolated, climate-controlled, metal box and park it wherever I want to, whenever I want to."

Also, fuck the emergency response companies. Maybe if you PAID EMTs MORE YOU WOULD HAVE MORE AVAILABLE AMBULANCES, YOU FUCKING FUCKS. Why in the alabama cousin fucking bullshit do we accept that it's a good idea to have our cops and our firefighters in tax-funded, union-protected fields, but EMTs just get thrown in the dirt by shitty corporations, and we're just okay with that? It's wild to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy, which kicked ass. We used the high speed trains for 3 different trips. I guess it's a step down from my experience with the Shinkansen in Japan in that the train was actually like 10 minutes late one time, but it's as comfortable a ride and extremely easy to buy tickets from an app and find your platform at the stations. We need cool-ass trains in this country, man. I really think it's a radicalizing experience to use one of these systems once. I think so many people who scoff at the idea of investing in trains really have no concept of what riding a modern train is actually like because the entire stock of passenger train cars in the US is from like 1966.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy, which kicked ass. We used the high speed trains for 3 different trips. I guess it's a step down from my experience with the Shinkansen in Japan in that the train was actually like 10 minutes late one time, but it's as comfortable a ride and extremely easy to buy tickets from an app and find your platform at the stations. We need cool-ass trains in this country, man. I really think it's a radicalizing experience to use one of these systems once. I think so many people who scoff at the idea of investing in trains really have no concept of what riding a modern train is actually like because the entire stock of passenger train cars in the US is from like 1966.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I loved taking trains all over Europe. You get so much more space in your seats than on planes, and you can walk around, go up and get a drink or food at the onboard bar/restaurant, etc. all while riding in relative peace and quiet (vs. jet engines) and not having to do the actual driving like in a car, allowing you to read, play games, look out the window, etc. It's great. 

19 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

My daughter’s daycare is on a one-way street. All the residents like to drive the wrong way to avoid 30 seconds of backtracking. I’ve trained my daughter to say “Wrong way! Bad driver!” when she sees one. 

Raising her the right way. 

And you know every single one of those assholes will jump at any opportunity to tell you all about how awful cyclists are, "they're always blowing through stop signs, they should be banned unless they respect the rules of the road", etc etc. 

11 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Taking the Shinkansen back in 2013 was one of the highlights of my life. The little smoking booths between cars where you stand there and have a cig while watching the scenery fly by at 200 mph was mind blowing.

Taking the Shinkansen into Tokyo from Sendai was one of the wildest things, because it made me fully comprehend how stupidly large Tokyo is. It felt like the last 30 minutes of the trip we were flying past 10-20-story buildings until we hit the station.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

And you know every single one of those assholes will jump at any opportunity to tell you all about how awful cyclists are, "they're always blowing through stop signs, they should be banned unless they respect the rules of the road", etc etc. 

I mean, cyclists in the bay annoy me often. Act like a vehicle but want to be treated like a pedestrian etc.

• Guillotine 1

UTEUXHXM54I6ZH4QPHPR7MUCSY.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Crashes have surged in the past four years, reflecting the hazards associated with increasingly widespread use of Tesla’s futuristic driver-assistance tech.

Since the reporting requirements were introduced, the vast majority of the 807 automation-related crashes have involved Tesla, the data show. Tesla — which has experimented more aggressively with automation than other automakers — also is linked to almost all of the deaths.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lost Vegas City Council has voted to approve The Boring Company's application for 50+ miles of additional tunnels connecting 60+ stations that include the airport, Allegiant stadium, UNLV, and downtown Las Vegas.

screenshot-2023-07-19-at-2-07-06-pm.png

Map Via KTNV

The Boring company brags that at peak capacity they've transported 4,500 passengers an hour through their existing five station 2.2 mile tunnel. To put that in context, a dedicated bus transit lane has a typical capacity of between 4000-8000 passengers an hour.

The one good thing about all this is that there are apparently no taxpayer fees requested. All the funding is coming from The Boring Company and private properties. That makes it difficult to get too upset about this whole thing. As long as taxpayers aren't shelling out for it, then I suppose Elon can have at it.

I continue think it's insane that driving taxis through tunnels is the best they could come up with.

21 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The Lost Vegas City Council has voted to approve The Boring Company's application for 50+ miles of additional tunnels connecting 60+ stations that include the airport, Allegiant stadium, UNLV, and downtown Las Vegas.

screenshot-2023-07-19-at-2-07-06-pm.png

Map Via KTNV

The Boring company brags that at peak capacity they've transported 4,500 passengers an hour through their existing five station 2.2 mile tunnel. To put that in context, a dedicated bus transit lane has a typical capacity of between 4000-8000 passengers an hour.

The one good thing about all this is that there are apparently no taxpayer fees requested. All the funding is coming from The Boring Company and private properties. That makes it difficult to get too upset about this whole thing. As long as taxpayers aren't shelling out for it, then I suppose Elon can have at it.

I continue think it's insane that driving taxis through tunnels is the best they could come up with.

I mean, there has to be an acknowledgement that while most people would appreciate better public transport, there is absolutely no will in America to move away from a car centric approach. Most people in this thread may as well be screaming at clouds. It’s just not a political win in America. People like the independence car’s give them. 

like I said, all of North America needs better public transit, but it can’t come at the expense of our roads either. If tunnels help ease congestion in any way, then we should definitely add more.

36 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, there has to be an acknowledgement that while most people would appreciate better public transport, there is absolutely no will in America to move away from a car centric approach. Most people in this thread may as well be screaming at clouds. It’s just not a political win in America. People like the independence car’s give them. 

like I said, all of North America needs better public transit, but it can’t come at the expense of our roads either. If tunnels help ease congestion in any way, then we should definitely add more.

one more lane bro that will ease congestion always has, always will

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

When society all but requires that you own a car to function, that's not freedom. That's life being locked behind a paywall that costs thousands of dollars per year and destroys our cities.