Keep cars out of cities

oiacvnkicbe3fmoe5yphtjrnde.jpg?w=640
FACT-CENTRAL.COM

7/08/2022 Frankwell Car Park https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/transport/2019/08/01/free-parking-launched-for-shrewsbury-shoppers-in-august/ Figures analysed by the RAC Foundation show around 80 per cent of Britain's 26 million homes were built with a front plot. Of these around seven million gardens are now concreted over to park cars rather than grow flowers-that's an area equivalent to 100 Hype Parks or 72...

According to Google, about 2 million cars are sold in CA each year, and about 15 million cars are sold in the US. Assuming CA does force cars to go all electric, the usual bunch of states follows CA's lead, and car sales don't change dramatically, that works out to ~5 million EVs a year would be sold in the US. Presumably, some buyers in those states would go out to get a gas vehicle, but some amount of buyers in non-mandate states would buy EVs, so for my napkin math I'll assume it washes out.

Last year ~600k EVs were sold in the US, and as far as I can tell, it's more of a supply issue than a demand one. So production would need to ramp up by nearly 10x in 13 years to meet that date.

2035 is also the date the EU has set for it's 100% EV goal, so production would need to ramp up even more.

Various car companies have already pledged to move to most or all EV production by then, so they at least seem to think it's plausible.

I really hope that the CA ban manages to thread the needle on trucks and SUVs better than the CAFE standards have. Clearly many commercial vehicles won't make the transition date, but while the incentives were designed to make vehicles more efficient, they also pushed people towards larger and less efficient vehicles. I'm really hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

NYS mandated every new school bus starting in 2027 has to be electric and by 2035 the entire fleet has to be electric, for this to actually work batteries need to double in capacity without increasing in size.

What's a school bus route in terms of miles? Electric buses are great since they typically are in stop and go traffic and don't actually go very far. 

40 minutes ago, Ominous said:

What's a school bus route in terms of miles? Electric buses are great since they typically are in stop and go traffic and don't actually go very far. 

I could write paragraphs on electric busses with all the seminars i've been attending, but basically it boils down to, urban districts will have almost no issues outside of long distance trips for sports or field trips, rural ones will have runs that literally can not do it daily, and thats before you get into sports trips and field trips.  But the number 1 issues is they're about 200k more than a diesel bus to buy, and while they're cheaper to operate the break even point from actual districts is like 12 years, or about twice as long as we keep our busses currently where i'm at.

At my old district which was more urban, busses mostly ran 30-40 miles a day on their normal routes, special needs could do 100, at my current district you can basically double those numbers.  International offers a 200 mile range bus, Thomas a 135, and Bluebird a 120, and they'll all tell you on a perfect day you'll get 75% of that, and by that i mean without A/C or Heat running.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I could write paragraphs on electric busses with all the seminars i've been attending, but basically it boils down to, urban districts will have almost no issues outside of long distance trips for sports or field trips, rural ones will have runs that literally can not do it daily, and thats before you get into sports trips and field trips.  But the number 1 issues is they're about 200k more than a diesel bus to buy, and while they're cheaper to operate the break even point from actual districts is like 12 years, or about twice as long as we keep our busses currently where i'm at.

Country folks should just walk their tractor to school.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:51 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Dude, I fucking love this guy. He gets super nerdy about transit and sounds EXACTLY like the person who would annoy people that you're trying to bug about urbanism. He's literally a Mike Judge character.

This guy and NotJustBikes are the two best YouTube channels I've found on these kind of topics. I actually had no idea "power center" was an actual term before seeing this, I thought they just, like, "big strip malls."

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

This guy and NotJustBikes are the two best YouTube channels I've found on these kind of topics. I actually had no idea "power center" was an actual term before seeing this, I thought they just, like, "big strip malls."

Power center sounds like something someone who knows nothing about basketball would say to try and fit in a conversation 

On 8/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, Remarkableriots said:

What one of those people said was great: "I have a full-time job, I make over six figures, I'm single, quiet, and I can't afford to live here? Who is the housing market for?"

There are a lot of people saying the bounce back in the housing market is for landlords to recoup their "losses" from the pandemic. That makes no fucking sense. You don't see McDonald's charging $10 for a cheeseburger on Tuesday because they had a slow day on Monday, that's not how this works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...