Keep cars out of cities

Lmao I’ve been looking at properties in Flint lately. Still one of the only places in the country where you can buy a gilded age mansion for $250k. There are huge abandoned two-story homes dotted all around the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to downtown, and no one is doing jack shit with any of them.

19 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Lmao I’ve been looking at properties in Flint lately. Still one of the only places in the country where you can buy a gilded age mansion for $250k. There are huge abandoned two-story homes dotted all around the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to downtown, and no one is doing jack shit with any of them.

Hydration is overrated.

44 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Not to mention that’s an area in the US that could be best equipped to weather climate change. 250k today could be a few million in a few decades lol 

• Sicko Sherman 1

Earlier I watched my neighbor in his lifted truck run over his own garbage can. The curbside one that’s 3-4 ft tall because it’s trash day and he didn’t see it. Right in front of him because he was parked on the sidewalk. Good times.

This guy lives in Santa Monica and apparently thinks he lives in Johannesburg. And he's gonna be running for city council. He's talking about state rules about new housing development not requiring minimum parking near transit.

3oZT7Eg.png

One of our current city councilmembers (who he's buddies with) says he won't go to our downtown area without carrying bear mace. I'm downtown every day and have zero fucking idea what he's on about, but I do know that he insists that Santa Monica should have lots and lots and lots of parks yet I live less than a mile from him and have never seen him out walking (and someone else I know who lives nearby has never seen him in public either) and that he seems to just drive to Orange County on the weekends to walk around.

14 hours ago, Jason said:

This guy lives in Santa Monica and apparently thinks he lives in Johannesburg. And he's gonna be running for city council. He's talking about state rules about new housing development not requiring minimum parking near transit.

3oZT7Eg.png

One of our current city councilmembers (who he's buddies with) says he won't go to our downtown area without carrying bear mace. I'm downtown every day and have zero fucking idea what he's on about, but I do know that he insists that Santa Monica should have lots and lots and lots of parks yet I live less than a mile from him and have never seen him out walking (and someone else I know who lives nearby has never seen him in public either) and that he seems to just drive to Orange County on the weekends to walk around.

I've noticed that people who have lived their whole lives in sheltered cars basically develop a mild form of agoraphobia. They don't feel safe out of their climate controlled steel boxes.

I found this video interesting. I had never really thought about the fact that in European cities, you see kids EVERYWHERE. With no adults around. In every European city I've ever been to, it's completely normal to see kids as young as 8 or 9 just moving around in small groups (I still hardly ever saw kids by themselves that I can recall) completely unsupervised. Japan was the same - kids just walk/take the train to school or wherever they need to go by themselves, sometimes very young kids.

To be completely fair if you let your kid free roam anymore:

1) you may end up getting the cops or cps called on you

b) your kid may eventually get hit and killed by a monster suv driven by an accountant playing candy crush on the in console dash

three) they might gain some independence and we can’t have that

On 6/16/2022 at 4:06 PM, Uaarkson said:

Yea but nobody want's to live in Flintown. 

1 minute ago, Uaarkson said:

They said that about Detroit right up until people started swarming the city, but okay.

Detroit has some good white color jobs, by midwest standards, which made living in Detroit something to consider if you were not planning on raising a family.

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've noticed that people who have lived their whole lives in sheltered cars basically develop a mild form of agoraphobia. They don't feel safe out of their climate controlled steel boxes.

It's not an accident that the rise of stranger danger tracks with both ever-bigger vehicles and and ever-more-dangerous built environment.

5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Detroit has some good white color jobs, by midwest standards, which made living in Detroit something to consider if you were not planning on raising a family.

As does Genesee county! Flint is just like Detroit, minus the current “cool factor” and probably about a decade behind in gentrification efforts. But the seeds of renewal are being planted as we speak.

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

To be completely fair if you let your kid free roam anymore:

1) you may end up getting the cops or cps called on you

b) your kid may eventually get hit and killed by a monster suv driven by an accountant playing candy crush on the in console dash

three) they might gain some independence and we can’t have that

That's something that gets hit on in the video. People hae CPS called on them for letting their kids play in the street in front of their own house.

Is that something that has changed recently? I'm not very old, and when I grew up it was pretty normal for kids to walk to school on their own, and we would wander around the streets all damn day on our own in the summer because there wasn't really anything else to do.

A 7-year-old at one of our schools was hit by a drunk driver yesterday morning after getting off the school bus in front of the school. The drunk driver was driving a jacked f-150, and plowed through two parked cars before swerving onto the sidewalk and running over the kid. The child is in critical condition and was airlifted to a nearby city's children's hospital. It was 8:30 in the morning and this person was blitzed. They caught him and charged him after he continued driving down the street before running the truck into the front of a house.

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A 7-year-old at one of our schools was hit by a drunk driver yesterday morning after getting off the school bus in front of the school. The drunk driver was driving a jacked f-150, and plowed through two parked cars before swerving onto the sidewalk and running over the kid. The child is in critical condition and was airlifted to a nearby city's children's hospital. It was 8:30 in the morning and this person was blitzed. They caught him and charged him after he continued driving down the street before running the truck into the front of a house.

I'm sure the pickup truck driver was just swerving to avoid a pedestrian who'd darted out of nowhere.

School zones are 30kph in our city, too (19mph). This guy was apparently going very fast, there was very little warning. Reportedly there were dozens of similar-aged students around who witnessed it. A nearby bus driver and some teachers rushed to help, but there wasn't much that could be done until EMTs arrived. I can't imagine the trauma on those kids, witnessing that.

I know this is from Reddit, but still Jesus these people fucking hate kids. Blows my mind!

(and as someone who was discriminated against for housing because of my kid it really fucking sucks!)

Cities can be amazing for kids and if we’re going to make cities better for everyone the building codes should make soundproofing a priority (especially over parking or design review)

Or, you know, people who live in cities should accept the fact that humans making noise is part of the deal. Work harder if you don't want neighbors you fucking weaklings, boo hoo hoo.

Also another compelling case for the complete obliteration of reddit.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Or, you know, people who live in cities should accept the fact that humans making noise is part of the deal. Work harder if you don't want neighbors you fucking weaklings, boo hoo hoo.

Also another compelling case for the complete obliteration of reddit.

People should just learn to shut up and deal with it if you want to live in a city. If you're trying to work, put fucking headphones on, it's not rocket surgery.

Sometimes I don't get home from work until 6am and they start mowing the lawn across the street at 8:30. I also live across the street from a school. You don't see me bitching at them to keep it down. Like, if noise bothers you so much, maybe YOU should be the one to move out into the suburbs.

That being said, soundproofing absolutely should be required in building codes. I know of brand new buildings back in Portland that cost $3k/month and you can hear *everything*.

• 2 weeks later...