BO Report: oh shit get the fuck out of here what are you doing get the fuck out of here you stupid idiot

God, did that smell good.

It was pretty obvious that barely any money would be made, but it's bizarre looking at numbers like this: the number two movie grossed $24, which means two people were in that theater.

What theaters -- and it's probably just a few -- are still open and how are they operating? I'm assuming it's mostly/exclusively drive-in movies (@sblfilms how's your drive-in doing?). Even though I only go maybe a half dozen times a year nowadays, I do miss that experience. 

Kinda hoping the early streaming releases during all this just kills the industry, theres no reason to go to a theater other than the movies won't be available otherwise for a few months, and with streaming they don't have to worry about how 10s of millions of people are going to get access to physical copies in the past to view it, and its already cheaper than 2 tickets let alone tickets for your whole family, the experience is just the movie but louder, lol.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm loving my 100 foot TV screen!

Which brings me to another point, in the past you also had to contend with like the largest home TVs of like 30 inches or those horrific big screen tvs that if you looked at them wrong the image disappeared, while now everyone has a 50" minimum in their living room, and if you end up in the first 25% of the rows your neck gets sore from looking from side to side and up.

Personally I love going to the theatre for two types of movies:

• Event movies (Star Wars, Avengers, Nolan movies, etc)
  • Big Comedies

I find I enjoy them more in a social setting. There aren't many big comedies I go to these days, though, compared to when I was younger. If I could get into a theatre for $5 or even $10 I would go more often, but it starts at around $15 where I live, and more if they force you into 3D.

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Kinda hoping the early streaming releases during all this just kills the industry, theres no reason to go to a theater other than the movies won't be available otherwise for a few months, and with streaming they don't have to worry about how 10s of millions of people are going to get access to physical copies in the past to view it, and its already cheaper than 2 tickets let alone tickets for your whole family, the experience is just the movie but louder, lol.

People want to go out. A good movie is just the excuse. The theaters have been making the mistake of ramping up prices too high. Cinema has been a dominant form of entertainment for so long because it was a cheap night out. When taking your family of four to the movies costs $80 by the end of the night, that $20 premium VOD does start to look rather appealing.

i do think the fact that the major studios are punting their big product to theatrical release dates next year should make it clear to everybody that the movie studios still value theatrical exhibition.

But my eggs are going more and more into the drive in basket. It’s all about the experience, and even the nicest home theater doesn’t replicate it :) 

I still like going to the theatre. I can say a movie like annihilation was better on the big screen because of the picture and sound and that something like JoJo Rabbit was fun to watch in a crowd because some people were cracking the fuck up the whole time. And the collective laugh at the donut scene in Knives Out. Then of course event films are fun as well like Avengers, 1917, and even A Quiet Place had a unique experience at the theatre. 

I mean shit you go see Creed 2 opening night and there’s people cheering for Creed like it’s a real boxing match. The theatre experience can be really fun sometimes. 

Oh, and we had to shut down due to the shelter at home order for Harris County. Working with the county and state on guidelines to allow us to reopen though. Would be printing money.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Oh, and we had to shut down due to the shelter at home order for Harris County. Working with the county and state on guidelines to allow us to reopen though. Would be printing money.

I haven't been to a drive in for 20 years or so... how does yours handle audio and concessions?

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I haven't been to a drive in for 20 years or so... how does yours handle audio and concessions?

I went to one a few years ago, the audio was a speaker they hand you or a radio station you could turn to in your car, concessions was just a building at the end of the parking lot you go to. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

But my eggs are going more and more into the drive in basket. It’s all about the experience, and even the nicest home theater doesn’t replicate it :) 

Yes, my 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos simply can’t compare to that AM/FM Stereo/Mono experience you receive at the drive-in. 

12 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Yes, my 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos simply can’t compare to that AM/FM Stereo/Mono experience you receive at the drive-in. 

‘Experience’ and fidelity aren’t the same thing. Do you like eating in restaurants with plain white walls? Would you have fun at a sporting event where people didn’t cheer? If you went to a brewery and all of your beers came in red solo cups, would you be disappointed? Aesthetic and atmosphere are huge components of an experience, and unless you are backing up your car to your home theater set up, you are correct, it simply cannot compare. 

26 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Correct, it doesn’t replicate the experience while your home theater set up is directly trying to replicate the experience of a cinema. Nobody is going to a drive in for the A/V presentation.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

We do FM radio transmission. We also now do mobile food ordering and delivery, in addition to our traditional counter ordering.

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

‘Experience’ and fidelity aren’t the same thing. Do you like eating in restaurants with plain white walls? Would you have fun at a sporting event where people didn’t cheer? If you went to a brewery and all of your beers came in red solo cups, would you be disappointed? Aesthetic and atmosphere are huge components of an experience, and unless you are backing up your car to your home theater set up, you are correct, it simply cannot compare. 

122” screen at home. 9 feet away. I’m good on that cinematic experience. :peace:

Now, I will say, without a doubt, my favorite place in all of the Bay Area is West Wind Capital Drive In. They have 6 screens and their concessions are to die for. Literally—it’s the very best kind of food that will kill you, and it’s amazing. 

Back when I first started going, I had a Tacoma that had a power outlet in the bed. Their audio went through FM. I got an air mattress, sleeping bags, pillows, and powered speakers that I plugged into that outlet, connected a small radio to, and blasted “surround” sound from that combined with the cab’s speakers. And because it was a pick up, I could park virtually right under the screen. I really fucking miss that place.

Oh, and when I switched to a Prius after the Tacoma, my one requirement was that the hatch opened up high enough so that it wouldn’t block viewing the screen. :lol:

On 4/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, PaladinSolo said:

The level of stupid on this take is spectacular. 

On 4/9/2020 at 7:19 AM, PaladinSolo said:

Some people just can't see the future or are afraid of change.  

You fundamentally misunderstand why people choose to go to the theater. People can watch sports at home too, and often for free, but that doesn’t stop 100s of millions of sporting event tickets to be sold every year. People like going out.

”Movie theaters are dying” has been a staple claim of people for the last 80 years. One day it may finally be true, but even this situation won’t do it unless society ends up rejecting large gatherings all together.

4 hours ago, Amazatron said:

AMC was in bad shape heading in and is definitely the worst positioned to handle a long term suspension of operation. Will be interesting to see what a restructured AMC looks like. They have a lot of bad leases that bankruptcy will allow them to offload.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, PaladinSolo said:

Except people REALLY like going to the movies... besides the technical aspects, there's a whole social/communal aspect to going to the movies with a bunch of strangers and having this shared experience that appeals to us on a primal level. I do think streaming will inevitably change the theatrical business model. But I don't think it will outright "kill the industry" and it shouldn't. Besides the things I listed above, the last thing we need is a whole other industry that employs millions of people just straight up disappearing. 

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

AMC was in bad shape heading in and is definitely the worst positioned to handle a long term suspension of operation. Will be interesting to see what a restructured AMC looks like. They have a lot of bad leases that bankruptcy will allow them to offload.

definitely hope they survive and continue to have the A-list subscription plan