~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/economy/global-economy-coronavirus-bailout/index.html

The United States, Europe, Japan, China and India are unleashing trillions of dollars in government spending and newly created money as they desperately attempt to keep the global economy from sinking into depression.

The response to the coronavirus pandemic has been unprecedented in terms of speed and scale. Commitments from governments and central banks to date are close to $7 trillion, according to an analysis by CNN Business. The total includes government spending, loan guarantees and tax breaks, as well as money printing by central banks to buy assets such as bonds and stock funds.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yuuuuup.

I have been trying for the past few days to put my finger on exactly how many people will have to die to prevent conservatives from saying it was all a hoax.

My guess is well over 100,000 and possibly as much as 500,000. If we keep it under that, they'll compare it to flu numbers and say it was all to damage Trump.

• Sad 2

59 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yuuuuup.

I have been trying for the past few days to put my finger on exactly how many people will have to die to prevent conservatives from saying it was all a hoax.

My guess is well over 100,000 and possibly as much as 500,000. If we keep it under that, they'll compare it to flu numbers and say it was all to damage Trump.

The flu kills around 50,000 people a year in America.  If any fewer than 49,999 people die from COVID-19, then it is surely a Democrat hoax. 

America, 2038. President Donald Trump Jr. addresses the nation:

My feller Americans. House Leader AOC and her demoCRABS are lying to you. The Killbots from Omicron Persei VIII are not a threat. Each one can only kill 49,999 people, and as we know, the flu kills more than that each year. As the dropships appear in our beautiful skies, remember that it is a hoax. Continue to go to work, continue to pay your monthly Amazon-Wutani Tax Scrips. If a killbot division reaches your town, it will just be like the flu, 200 times. We can handle it, because we're the greatest nation on Earth.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

America, 2038. President Donald Trump Jr. addresses the nation:

My feller Americans. House Leader AOC and her demoCRABS are lying to you. The Killbots from Omicron Persei VIII are not a threat. Each one can only kill 49,999 people, and as we know, the flu kills more than that each year. As the dropships appear in our beautiful skies, remember that it is a hoax. Continue to go to work, continue to pay your monthly Amazon-Wutani Tax Scrips. If a killbot division reaches your town, it will just be like the flu, 200 times. We can handle it, because we're the greatest nation on Earth.

The least credible part of that scenario is that Earth will still be habitable in 2038.

• Sad 1

I feel like we're right on the edge of the GOP and Fox News leaning HARD into the narrative that this entire thing is the fault of the left.

Chinese people started, the lame stream media overhyped it, scientists got it all wrong, the democrats wanted the economy to tank, etc...

It's going to get super duper ugly super duper fast.

I was watching Laura Ingraham last night for 20 straight minutes waiting for her to talk about people, or people suffering, or how the virus is effecting people or how normal people are suffering... and I shit you not, it was just business business business... economy economy hoax hoax overhyped the whole time...

Switch to CNN and MSNBC and it's all about people and hospitals and information. The contrast switching back and forth was jarring.

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, ort said:

I feel like we're right on the edge of the GOP and Fox News leaning HARD into the narrative that this entire thing is the fault of the left.

Chinese people started, the lame stream media overhyped it, scientists got it all wrong, the democrats wanted the economy to tank, etc...

I was watching Laura Ingraham last night for 20 straight minutes waiting for her to talk about people, or people suffering, or how the virus is effecting people or how normal people are suffering... and I shit you not, it was just business business business... economy economy hoax hoax overhyped the whole time...

Switch to CNN and MSNBC and it's all about people and hospitals and information. The contrast switching back and forth was jarring.

Whenever we get a democrat president again (*sigh*), I really hope they send the DOJ after fox in full force. I know that will be bad for looking like the government is going after the media but that company has done this country nothing but harm and I'm sure has broken the law somewhere with their propaganda.

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Whenever we get a democrat president again (*sigh*), I really hope they send the DOJ after fox in full force. I know that will be bad for looking like the government is going after the media but that company has done this country nothing but harm and I'm sure has broken the law somewhere with their propaganda.

It would probably be better for private citizens to go after them with civil suits.  Tie them up in the courts until they bleed money.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah, no.

Let's not do that.  At all.

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It would probably be better for private citizens to go after them with civil suits.  Tie them up in the courts until they bleed money.

I'd be good with that. Send DOJ on a fact finding mission to dig up info for the public to use in civil suits and let them have at it.

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Yeah, no.

Let's not do that either.  At all.

You've gone too soft.... :guillotine:

I do get what I'm asking for is unreasonable. Yet the pundit section of fox news is getting far to questionable in their coverage of "news".

7 minutes ago, chakoo said:

You've gone too soft.... :guillotine:

I do get what I'm asking for is unreasonable. Yet the pundit section of fox news is getting far to questionable in their coverage of "news".

You absolutely do not want the virtually unrestrained power and resources of the United States Department of Justice to go anywhere near this type of issue.  Not anywhere close to it.

If that ever happened, then I guarantee that you willl have to prepare for the "Unforseen Consequences"

6 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

You absolutely do not want the virtually unrestrained power and resources of the United States Department of Justice to go anywhere near this type of issue.  Not anywhere close to it.

If that ever happened, then I guarantee that you willl have to prepare for the "Unforseen Consequences"

Literally every single horrible thing the Trump admin is doing can be justified in part by saying they are doing what Obama did but turning it* up to 11

*It being "the racism"

1 hour ago, ort said:

It has already begun. I just had an argument with a coworker about how he said public health models are all using the same model and they're all wrong. Something something about a UK study. I told this person that this is all so predictable. Blame the left wing public health experts for getting it "wrong" and tanking the economy when the virus isn't that bad even though the worst case models he was referring to have built in assumptions that government and people would not take social distancing and hand washing measures.

Edit: I think what makes me more angry about politics isn't necessarily what each ideology states. What pisses me off is how people that are otherwise intelligent can go home and watch a 1 hour talk opinion show on Fox News and that now they are experts on biostatistics and epidemiology. I don't know that much about them which is why I listen to epidemiologists and bio-statisticians, not Laura fucking Ingraham, a worthless sack.

• Guillotine 1

18 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

It has already begun. I just had an argument with a coworker about how he said public health models are all using the same model and they're all wrong. Something something about a UK study. I told this person that this is all so predictable. Blame the left wing public health experts for getting it "wrong" and tanking the economy when the virus isn't that bad even though the worst case models he was referring to have built in assumptions that government and people would not take social distancing and hand washing measures.

He's referring to the a whole bunch of misunderstanding/misinterpretation/misinformation regarding recent statements by the author of the "dire" Imperial College study.

31 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

wat

18 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

You get a $300 deduction for charitable giving without having to file Schedule A - Itemized Deductions.

As in, you can still take the standard deduction and get the $300 charitable deduction—usually you have to choose between standard deduction and itemizing to get charitable deductions.

I already gave $25 to the ACLU in January, I guess I'll have to give them another $125 and the EFF $150 by the end of the year.

Well, this feels like a gut punch. My husband is getting a 13% pay cut at work. He was actually planning on asking for a significant raise next month because of all the extra work they've put on him since his boss left and was never replaced. Oh, and they're raising insurance premiums by 20%, too.

Just a big old fuck you.

• Guillotine 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, this feels like a gut punch. My husband is getting a 13% pay cut at work. He was actually planning on asking for a significant raise next month because of all the extra work they've put on him since his boss left and was never replaced. Oh, and they're raising insurance premiums by 20%, too.

Just a big old fuck you.

Speaking of insurance, you can bet that the insurance companies will be raising premiums by a fuck ton next year.