~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

I just think it’s funny to think that the group in need of convincing right now is:

- Hyper aware, to the point that they would remember that detail and carry it forward into future political decisions; and

- Not aware enough to know who is responsible for the check

Where do these people exist?

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

I just think it’s funny to think that the group in need of convincing right now is:

- Hyper aware, to the point that they would remember that detail and carry it forward into future political decisions; and

- Not aware enough to know who is responsible for the check

Where do these people exist?

watson katydids GIF by Teachers on TV Land

15 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I would submit that hypocrisy does matter, as it further feeds into the public’s notion that politics are bullshit; the more that is the public notion, the lower turnout ultimately becomes. That doesn’t help Democrats! 

The only people who would both remember and care about the hypocrisy are not going to stop voting Democrat over something like his name on the check.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The only people who would both remember and care about the hypocrisy are not going to stop voting Democrat over something like his name on the check.

And yet you think there are people who would remember and vote for Democrats because of it, but are also too oblivious to the news to not know that Biden and Democrats are the one who passed it?

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Always push your brand this isn't hard

Push your brand to who? Anyone who is aware enough to notice would already know. 'Person who isn't aware of the news but would pay attention to a detail like this' isn't a person who exists!

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Push your brand to who? Anyone who is aware enough to notice would already know. 'Person who isn't aware of the news but would pay attention to a detail like this' isn't a person who exists!

The answer is it doesn't matter. It's popular and legal bribery, take the W. Get your name in the hands of literally damn near every single family in the country taking credit for the single biggest checks many people have ever received. Then come back and keep repeating the Win. Always be campaigning. You don't get points for dignity or class or playing by the rules.

if you're a low income republican, and doubly so if you've got kids, joe biden is going to do more for you in less than four months than donald trump did for you in four years. Use every single opportunity you can to beat this point home. Push every advantage. I don't want to just beat Republicans I want them to be (electorally) dead and buried.

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

if you're a low income republican, and doubly so if you've got kids, joe biden is going to do more for you in less than four months than donald trump did for you in four years. Use every single opportunity you can to beat this point home. Push every advantage. I don't want to just beat Republicans I want them to be (electorally) dead and buried.

Lincoln Project brain to think any Republican will give a shit.

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Lincoln Project brain to think any Republican will give a shit.

On one hand material gains that cut through the culture war bullshit and puts money in people's pockets, and on the other is a band of resistance-bait Republican grifters who actually did nothing but steal money from dumb libs 

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

When Trump signed the checks in March, we all laughed it off as a stupid move. Now if Biden doesn't do it it's POLITICAL MALFEASANCE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER! You folks are too much.

It seemed dumb, but Trump got an approval bump for it, so...

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

When Trump signed the checks in March, we all laughed it off as a stupid move. Now if Biden doesn't do it it's POLITICAL MALFEASANCE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER! You folks are too much.

Well it is pretty widely reported and acknowledged that this nearly won the election for Trump so 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Well it is pretty widely reported and acknowledged that this nearly won the election for Trump so 

I literally burst out laughing reading this. I'm sorry; not actually trying to troll.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

My favorite part about this past year is how Republicans normalized direct payments.

There will likely never be another economic crisis *without* direct payments.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Like if we don't collectively believe that concrete changes in material conditions can change political outcomes to our benefit then what the fuck are we doing at all? Why pass anything that can benefit the other side even so slightly?

Where did I say improving material conditions isn't important or necessary? All I said was that putting Biden's name on the checks is diminished returns, because the hit you take in perception isn't worth it. There are a lot of people out there who may vote for Democrats if they don't have their disaffection fed with cynical political moves; there are comparatively fewer people who are unaware enough to not know who came up with the idea, yet aware enough to see a name on a check and vote for that guy's party. 

13 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Where did I say improving material conditions isn't important or necessary? All I said was that putting Biden's name on the checks is diminished returns, because the hit you take in perception isn't worth it. There are a lot of people out there who may vote for Democrats if they don't have their disaffection fed with cynical political moves; there are comparatively fewer people who are unaware enough to not know who came up with the idea, yet aware enough to see a name on a check and vote for that guy's party. 

Counterpoint: always be campaigning. It's why you had Republicans showing up to ribbon cuttings for new bridges funded by the ARRA in 2009/10 whose funding they voted against. It's like asking if there's someone who actually buys cheerios based on an ad; no one buys anything because of a single ad (nearly all the time)

Always take credit for good things in any way possible and blame some no name schmuck for failures. It's politics, it's all cynical, it's always been cynical, you need to take credit for the good things and stake the reason for the good things is because of you and people who vote with you and you say that if you want more good things keep supporting people like me. There's no drawback to putting his name on the checks but room for a downside by not. It's like that republican in 2010 not showing up for the opening of the bridge they didn't vote to fund. Does anyone change their vote by this or do they just associate the congressman with "bringing the bridge home from Washington" by low information voters?

Biden should have his name on the checks, and UI, and the Child Payments, and talk about Biden Bucks all fucking day every day. Do everything to keep him associated with good things and putting money in people's pockets.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

You're missing the important bit. Trump's signature was a last minute change he demanded which resulted in some checks being delayed. That was the bullshit part; that Trump was willing to delay stimulus checks to get his signature on them.

People came out during election time and said receiving direct checks with Trump's name on it caused them to seriously think about voting for (or to vote for) Donald Trump when otherwise they wouldn't. Surely the same, to some degree, will hold for Biden. Absolutely put his name on the checks. I would be absolutely apoplectic if they don't (they will). It's too direct a cause and effect for it not to help. It will only help, not hurt.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Counterpoint: always be campaigning. It's why you had Republicans showing up to ribbon cuttings for new bridges funded by the ARRA in 2009/10 whose funding they voted against. It's like asking if there's someone who actually buys cheerios based on an ad; no one buys anything because of a single ad (nearly all the time)

pelosinancy_030921gn6_lead.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) predicted Tuesday that House Republicans will vote against the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill — and then take credit for it.