~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Be way too late by then, lol.

Being retroactive to March 2020 would be big though towards helping fix the issue and getting people back in homes, because I just assume at this point that the eviction crisis will be coming to pass.

That said, after Aug 1 all bets are off if we do start kicking millions upon millions out on their ass.

7 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

It feels like everything is about to grind to a halt and there isn't a god damned thing any of us can do about it.

Yup. It definitely feels like the whole system is about to implode. It's definitely already cracked, with the biggest crack at the country's foundation. 

On 7/19/2020 at 1:09 PM, mclumber1 said:

Just make it universal.  No income restriction or other gate keeping.  Even people who made over the $120k limit have gotten laid off or otherwise had a big reduction in income.  

Today I learned that mclumber makes over $120k/year :p 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Regardless of how much I make, people over a certain threshold would just have to pay it back when they do their taxes.  This simplifies the entire process so much. 

In Gary Johnson-speak, this means "correct."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SlipperySlope said:

I just called the senator who called AOC a bitch and left a message saying in a professional corporate work environment he would have been fired. Here's his DC no. 202-225-5744

If you're not in their district they don't care, and even then, only marginally depending on how much you donate and vote

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

So basically, between that and he ensuing rent crisis, anyone on unemployment during this pandemic is about to get fucked?

Oh, and don't forget the student loan payments that resume in October!

And they will not be bailed out later, but the rich will receive another tax cut to stimulate the economy and get these people back to work (at minimum-wage jobs). This is Gilded Age Part 2: This Time No Massive Economic Growth, Just Massive Wealth Disparity.

• Guillotine 1

About 6 weeks ago my daughters job was cut from 45-55 hours a week to 10 hours,so she applied for unemployment, and every week is a fiasco. The first several weeks she received severely cut checks because they had her flagged as owing child support, she spent between 20-30 hours on the phone to get this fixed. Then the week of the 4th comes around and she gets paid for the day off, so she gets nothing because according to the rules you can get unemployment for cut hours and get a paid holiday. Now do to some glitch in the system each week after that shows her getting a paid holiday so she hasn't received anything 3 weeks. She has spent almost 24 hours over the course of last 3 days to get it fixed.

The state is so fucked up with this that sometimes they will fix an issue like they miss a week and then  2 weeks later they resolve it by giving you double your amount but without an explanation to person and then this happens

On June 10, duplicate payments totaling $7 million were made to more than 4,500 claimants of pandemic unemployment assistance and compensation programs.

Without consulting the governor, the department on Thursday began reversing those duplicate payments, a process known as clawback, that caused some bank accounts to be overdrawn.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/kansas-labor-secretary-delia-garcia-resigns-amid-unemployment-missteps/article_2b86d836-b4a8-11ea-aa0c-0f899f93bcac.html

• Sad 1

As a long line of senators rose to speak about aspects of the bill, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz asked his colleagues, “What in the hell are we doing?”

Cruz warned if the economy is still shut down come November, Joe Biden will win the White House, Democrats will control the Senate and “we’ll be meeting in a much smaller lunch room,” according to a person granted anonymity to discuss the closed-door session.

Theodore gets it. He might actually be the most dangerous republican, as he's smart and has no morals, even when it comes to defending his family.

Also,

Trump wants a full repeal of the 15.3% payroll tax, which is shared among employers and employees, and funds Social Security and Medicare. 

Holy shit I didn't realize trump wanted the whole fucking thing temporarily repealed. Jesus that's worse than I thought.

I've assumed for a long time that every deficit hawk was completely full of shit, but if they're really worried about spending too much now, 4 months away from the election, when the economy is being held together with crazy glue, maybe they're actually serious?

5 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

There won't be a USA by election day if this even comes close to what passes, lol.

Uh, having UE change from 60% of your previous income to 70% doesn’t fucking matter when it’s capped and that cap varies by state with the average being something like <$400/week... ie: Florida’s max for UE is $275/week, Texas is $450, Arizona is $250, and NJ is the 3rd highest at $713.

As I said in here many pages ago and ~3-weeks earlier, “a lot of people are going to be in a lot of trouble without that extra $600/week”.

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

I've assumed for a long time that every deficit hawk was completely full of shit, but if they're really worried about spending too much now, 4 months away from the election, when the economy is being held together with crazy glue, maybe they're actually serious?

I think it's fun that these people have discovered fiscal conservatism in a crisis after voting huge deficit running budgets the past few years under Trump.