~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

Hearing about many more permanent theater closures today after another terrible weekend and really no end in sight to the drought of new product OR the willingness of strangers to congregate in places like theaters. We most likely will negotiate a buy out of our lease at the indoor theater and mothball the equipment that can’t be repurposed for a drive in location until that fateful day in the post apocalypse where we could do another indoor exists.

I’ve actually been thinking a lot about what theaters will look like on the other side of this, I expect massive redesigns to theater spaces and a further contraction in seating capacity. I envision a world in which there is more space or even dividers between pairs of seats. Who knows, but it’s not going to be the same after this.

Also, we sold out three nights of screenings of Palm Springs at the drive in. A movie you can watch at home on Hulu if you want. Theaters are going to have to get used to the idea that the exclusive window isn’t the enemy and actually likely holds back profitability because studios use the window as a means of extracting higher splits out of theaters.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Hearing about many more permanent theater closures today after another terrible weekend and really no end in sight to the drought of new product OR the willingness of strangers to congregate in places like theaters. We most likely will negotiate a buy out of our lease at the indoor theater and mothball the equipment that can’t be repurposed for a drive in location until that fateful day in the post apocalypse where we could do another indoor exists.

I’ve actually been thinking a lot about what theaters will look like on the other side of this, I expect massive redesigns to theater spaces and a further contraction in seating capacity. I envision a world in which there is more space or even dividers between pairs of seats. Who knows, but it’s not going to be the same after this.

Also, we sold out three nights of screenings of Palm Springs at the drive in. A movie you can watch at home on Hulu if you want. Theaters are going to have to get used to the idea that the exclusive window isn’t the enemy and actually likely holds back profitability because studios use the window as a means of extracting higher splits out of theaters.

My concern with the last part is it might be based on being locked up for so long. In saner times people might be more likely to say fuck it I'd order VOD or stream it.

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

My concern with the last part is it might be based on being locked up for so long. In saner times people might be more likely to say fuck it I'd order VOD or stream it.

It is and always has been about providing an experience worth leaving the house. People want to go out, give them a reason to choose you as their destination. The way movie theaters for nearly a century did that was just by having product you could only get there. Theaters have to adapt to the times and give somebody the excuse they need to spend time in your business instead of elsewhere.

Its kind of like how you arcades died out when all they had were expensive co-op versions of the same thing you could play at home. The resurgence in venues that include gaming has been in providing experiences that make the reality of home gaming irrelevant.

But it can be expensive to make that shift...but it’s the difference between permanent closure and forging a new path for the industry.

39 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Like...maybe sparse comedy club style seating, with a staggered platform so that people aren't blocking each other from seeing the screen? You obviously know how this works better than I do but it seems like it could maybe work if you had full table service with a bunch of space between tables.

A payroll tax cut will only help those with jobs lol

But just give the damn tax cut, but make sure the other stuff in the bill doesn't suck, like $$$ for cities and states, keeping expanded UE, and checks probably wouldn't hurt since the UE stuff seems to be a goddamn mess.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A payroll tax cut will only help those with jobs lol

But just give the damn tax cut, but make sure the other stuff in the bill doesn't suck, like $$$ for cities and states, keeping expanded UE, and checks probably wouldn't hurt since the UE stuff seems to be a goddamn mess.

A payroll tax cut also fucks Social Security, but I guess that doesn't matter when you're actively trying to kill tons of people. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

A payroll tax cut also fucks Social Security, but I guess that doesn't matter when you're actively trying to kill tons of people. 

Know what else will fuck with social security? An extended economic depression because we didn't do enough during this crisis to make up for/mitigate the massive drop in demand

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Know what else will fuck with social security? An extended economic depression because we didn't do enough during this crisis to make up for/mitigate the massive drop in demand

Ooooooo speaking of which I wonder if we've entered a deflationary trap :thinking:

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Sure, but maybe fucking around with the taxes that fuck Social Security isn't the way to do when we have no problem handing over billions to companies and well-connected donors.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ooooooo speaking of which I wonder if we've entered a deflationary trap :thinking:

"My bigly fortune will get worth an even biglier amount of money? Sounds great!"

As Congress tackles the second stimulus bill, Senator Kamala Harris again calls for $2000 a month.

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), appearing on MSNBC, reiterated her support for a recurring $2,000 a month second stimulus check.

“Together, with Bernie Sanders and Ed Markey, I’m proposing that we have not just that one-time check of $1,200,” Harris told MSNBC host Chris Hayes. “Through the course of this pandemic and crisis, we need to give people $2,000 a month as recurrent payments—people below a certain income level—to help them and sustain them through these months of crisis so at the end of it, they can get back up on their feet instead of falling deep deep deep into the crevices of this crisis. And, it does not make any sense, to your point, when we have Republicans in Congress who are standing in the way of supporting working people who have recently lost their jobs—[and] have every intention of working—when we can get through this crisis and [they] just need help from their government.”

• Give up to $2,000 a month to anyone earning up to $120,000 per year.
  • The monthly payment begins to phase out starting at $100,000 per year.
  • Married couples who file jointly would receive up to $4,000.
  • You can receive $2,000 for each dependent (maximum three dependents).
  • The legislation would be retroactive to March 2020.
  • Every U.S. resident can receive payment, regardless if they file taxes or have a Social Security number.
  • The payments would last until three months after the end of the Covid-19 pandemic.