~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

I just had a meeting with retired NFL lineman, Vince WIlfork, about developing some property he owns including putting up a drive in on it. Dude was very cool. 2020 continues to be incredibly strange for me personally.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I just had a meeting with retired NFL lineman, Vince WIlfork, about developing some property he owns including putting up a drive in on it. Dude was very cool. 2020 continues to be incredibly strange for me personally.

Wilfork is one of my all-time favorite Patriots. He's always seemed like a cool guy.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Wilfork is one of my all-time favorite Patriots. He's always seemed like a cool guy.

Yeah, I always liked seeing interviews with him. He is really interested in programs for kids, sports, culinary, agriculture. We had a good chat.

@skillzdadirecta

We have this new Johnny Depp/Robert Pattinson movie booked at the drive in this weekend. They are booking it for 0% film rental so they can get it enough screens to meet the contractural obligation for a theatrical run prior to selling it as VOD or standard streaming.

Hollywood finance continues to be whacky 😂

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Something something Irrational longer than you are solvent etc etc etc

The answer is pretty simple, the rest of the developed world will be returning to a more normal position over the next few months even if America continues to fumble things. The US stock market is largely dominated by firms who work all around the globe. There will be great opportunities for firms that make it through to the other side so lots of good value bets even at these current prices.

The markets would be doing even better if there was confidence that solid spending bills were coming domestically.

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

Weren't the feds caught cooking the unemployment numbers just a month or two ago? Why are we still taking their numbers at face value? 

The way they were calculating the UE percentage was wrong, but consistent, and the actual numbers weren’t incorrect as far as we know. So anybody who wanted to calculate a more accurate rate could do so.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

The unemployment is always calculated wrong, according to whichever party doesn't control the Executive branch at any given moment. 

Now I don't think the books are cooked here, but there's a world of difference between this abomination of an administration and any other in the modern era

7 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

The unemployment is always calculated wrong, according to whichever party doesn't control the Executive branch at any given moment. 

That’s not what was going on here. Different admins will utilize whatever UE standard they want to make the best case for them and the worst for another administration. In this case, there was an actual error in the calculation. Again, it was consistent since the beginning of the Pandemic so it was actually still useful for comparing month to month changes, just not in comparing historical differences.

3 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The current projections for this year's hurricane season are that there'll be more storms than there are assigned names and that they'll start going into the greek alphabet

Yeah, it's going to be a fucking shit show when a massive hurricane hits before the election and the DRF is straight up empty.

So what this really means is that instead of getting some sort of real relief from a real package we're getting some half assed bullshit that will do nothing and it's going to kill the chance to make something real happen later?

I think the Republicans know they are about to get their shit handed to them and are just throwing their hands up and letting the world burn. Because who cares.

They surely do not.

Pretty sure the play here is just to have democrat’s challenge it because of the legality of it/taking away funds that are about to be needed for another emergency thing and then say that democrats are trying to “illegally steal benefits from suffering working class americans” or however they phrase it.

Just now, stepee said:

Pretty sure the play here is just to have democrat’s challenge it because of the legality of it/taking away funds that are about to be needed for another emergency thing and then say that democrats are trying to “illegally steal benefits from suffering working class americans” or however they phrase it.

Bingo

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

It could also be election spin as well. The Dems and Republicans both failed you. I on the other hand acted quickly to provide relief.

From what I've read today, it's honestly hard to tell if any of these are actually actionable in any way. 3 of the 4 are merely "memorandum" and not executive orders. The one actual executive order is the eviction one, and apparently the actual text of it just kinda says something like, "Hey, somebody should probably look into doing something about all of these evictions."