~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

The sad thing is that churches wouldn't be a spreader issue (to the extent it currently is) if the President actually wore a mask from day one and asked all of his followers to do what the scientists are saying are best practices.

I really hope Biden hammers Trump during the debates that tens of thousands of these deaths are because of Trump's inactions and lies.  

29 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The sad thing is that churches wouldn't be a spreader issue (to the extent it currently is) if the President actually wore a mask from day one and asked all of his followers to do what the scientists are saying are best practices.

I really hope Biden hammers Trump during the debates that tens of thousands of these deaths are because of Trump's inactions and lies.  

These people have agency, they're adults

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

These people have agency, they're adults

I think by now we've fairly determined that accepting the premise that individual responsibility and agency are real things to be believed in is a very dumb idea. People are dumb animals who follow herd behaviour, and any model of society that revolves around protecting individual agency at the expense of societal good is doomed to fail.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think by now we've fairly determined that accepting the premise that individual responsibility and agency are real things to be believed in is a very dumb idea. People are dumb animals who follow herd behaviour, and any model of society that revolves around protecting individual agency at the expense of societal good is doomed to fail.

Many want this to be untrue, but history doesn't care for their opinion. 

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Nobody should be surprised by this. It's like being told the Tooth Fairy is real your entire life; watching the news tell you the Tooth Fairy might be real; watching cable news tell you the Tooth Fairy is very real; watching the president on TV declare that not only is the Tooth Fairy real, but he was at her very exclusive party a few years ago; and then being shocked when money doesn't magically pop up under their kid's pillow.

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Trumps actions would have 0 to do with these people not wearing a mask because trump is the vessel for their broken ideology, not the source of it. 

The roots of anti mask "choice"/"debate" is fueled by the extreme veneration of the individual above and beyond all else that is pervasive throughout American culture, such that it is. Donald Trump is part of the group that is inherently distrustful of science and experts; this group would abandon trump before they abandon their ideology. The only reason trump is so well liked is because, despite his wealth and class differences, a lot of reactionary white America see him as ideological kin, as someone who finally gets "it". Him moving from that script is antithetical to him/his character that they would ignore trump on this, say he's compromised by the deep state, etc.