~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Minnesota National Guard says it will test all of its deployed members for coronavirus after one tests positive amid George Floyd protests

The Minnesota National Guard plans to test all of its deployed members for the coronavirus after one tested positive and nine others have reported symptoms, a spokesman told CNBC on Tuesday.

The state’s National Guard has deployed nearly 7,000 officers in response to mass protests sparked by George Floyd’s death, caused by a Minneapolis police officer who knelt on the unarmed black man’s neck for nearly nine minutes, according to spokesman Scott Hawks.

“Upon activation, all of our members were screened for health readiness, including for symptoms of COVID-19,” Lt. Col. Dean Stulz said in a statement, adding that one service member tested positive for Covid-19 and has been placed in isolation. “Screening and testing of those activated guard members has been a part of our plan since the earliest days, it is not a response action to having a positive result.”

7 hours ago, Jose said:

The testing has increased for sure, but nowhere near enough to explain the 56% to 3.8% difference, The virus has slowed massively in NJ.

Depends on who you’re testing. With so few tests available many places were testing the most at risk, and in some situations only testing people with reported symptoms, and even then being very selective within that subsection. 

When tests are more available to everyone, then you’re going to see more people testing negative and the percentage will start to plummet. 

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Depends on who you’re testing. With so few tests available many places were testing the most at risk, and in some situations only testing people with reported symptoms, and even then being very selective within that subsection. 

When tests are more available to everyone, then you’re going to see more people testing negative and the percentage will start to plummet. 

That could certainly explain some of it but an average of 6k tests a day to 20k tests a day does not explain that massive drop.

"We could have done more" admits architect of Sweden's Covid-19 strategy

Sweden’s chief epidemiologist and the architect of its light-touch approach to the coronavirus has acknowledged that the country has had too many deaths from Covid-19 and should have done more to curb the spread of the virus.

Anders Tegnell, who has previously criticised other countries’ strict lockdowns as not sustainable in the long run, told Swedish Radio on Wednesday that there was “quite obviously a potential for improvement in what we have done” in Sweden.

Asked whether too many people in Sweden had died, he replied: “Yes, absolutely,” adding that the country would have to consider in the future whether there had been a way of preventing such a high toll.

Governments and WHO changed Covid-19 policy based on suspect data from tiny US company (Guardian)

The World Health Organization and a number of national governments have changed their Covid-19 policies and treatments on the basis of flawed data from a little-known US healthcare analytics company, also calling into question the integrity of key studies published in some of the world’s most prestigious medical journals.

A Guardian investigation can reveal the US-based company Surgisphere, whose handful of employees appear to include a science fiction writer and an adult-content model, has provided data for multiple studies on Covid-19 co-authored by its chief executive, but has so far failed to adequately explain its data or methodology.

Data it claims to have legitimately obtained from more than a thousand hospitals worldwide formed the basis of scientific articles that have led to changes in Covid-19 treatment policies in Latin American countries. It was also behind a decision by the WHO and research institutes around the world to halt trials of the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine.

5 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The part that actually explains what they mean when they say they could have done more

The Swedish prime minister, Stefan Löfven, told the Aftonbladet daily that the country’s overall approach “has been right”, but it had failed to protect care homes where half of all Sweden’s Covid-19 deaths have occurred.

This has been the refrain for 2 months, that they should have protected nursing homes better. It's actually the single largest failure that the high death rate countries have had, and we would likely see a reduction of 30-40% of deaths in most western nations if we would have locked down the nursing homes early.

World Health Organization resumes coronavirus trial on malaria drug hydroxychloroquine after examining safety concerns (CNBC)

The World Health Organization is resuming its trial of hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug backed by President Donald Trump to combat the deadly coronavirus, after temporarily halting research over safety concerns. 

The Data Safety Monitoring Board decided there was no reason to discontinue the international trial after reviewing available data on the drug, WHO Director-General

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference Wednesday at the agency’s Geneva headquarters.

“The executive group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of solidarity trial including hydroxychloroquine,” he said. 

WHO says coronavirus has not meaningfully mutated to a more lethal or contagious form (CNBC)

The coronavirus has not mutated in any way that would meaningfully change how quickly it spreads or how severely it can harm humans, World Health Organization officials said Wednesday. 

The WHO and its network of scientists and virologists continue to track the genetic sequence of the virus in various countries across the world to monitor for mutations, the WHO said. Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said scientists have observed “normal changes” in the virus, which were expected.

Hydroxychloroquine, a drug promoted by Trump, failed to prevent healthy people from getting covid-19 in trial (Washington Post)

Hydroxychloroquine did not prevent healthy people exposed to covid-19 from getting the disease caused by the coronavirus, according to a study being published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The study is the first randomized clinical trial that tested the antimalarial drug, touted by President Trump, as a preventive measure. It showed that hydroxychloroquine was no more effective than a placebo — in this case, a vitamin — in protecting people exposed to covid-19.

“As we say in Tennessee, ‘That dog won’t hunt’ — it didn’t work,” said William Schaffner, professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Schaffner, who was not involved in the trial, praised it as “rigorously done.”

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I got tested this morning after my shift. I still feel like the back of my eyeball was poked. Didn't scream, but I let out a low "hrrrrrnnnggghhhhh" the entire time with my nails digging into my palms. 15 seconds of pure torture. May I never have to do that again.

I haven’t heard about what they do for this test, what exactly do they do that causes your eyeball to feel like it was poked? I have a thing with stuff touching my eye..

Also hoping it comes back all clear!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I haven’t heard about what they do for this test, what exactly do they do that causes your eyeball to feel like it was poked? I have a thing with stuff touching my eye..

Also hoping it comes back all clear!

Feels like they swabbing for brain matter

merlin_90904915.7.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Is the test, itself, any different than getting a flu swap? I've gotten a couple of those and they always suck, but this one sounds worse for some reason.

When my spouse got tested, they stuck a swab down each nostril until they touched her brain. Well, the back of her sinus cavity, at least.

Unreliable data: how doubt snowballed over Covid-19 drug research that swept the world (Guardian)

A vast database from a little-known company called Surgisphere has influenced rapid policy shifts as the world seeks treatments for Covid-19. But as researchers began to examine it more closely, they became increasingly concerned

How were medical journals and WHO caught out over hydroxychloroquine? (Guardian)

Some scientific papers stop the world in its tracks. In the middle of a raging pandemic, a study in the world’s leading global health journal that seemed to prove President Trump wrong to laud the drug hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 was always going to have a massive impact. It did. When the paper flagged a higher risk of death on the drug, trials were stopped all over the world, including one by the World Health Organization.

Now it’s in danger of unravelling.

The data on more than 96,000 patients from 671 hospitals worldwide is under the microscope. Errors have already been confirmed. A Guardian investigation has revealed major issues with the small US company Surgisphere that owned the database. Two major journals – the Lancet, which published the hydroxychloroquine paper, and the New England Journal of Medicine, which ran an earlier paper from the same authors with data from Surgisphere acquitting blood pressure drugs of any adverse effect in Covid-19 – have issued an Expression of Concern. That’s a formal statement that something is not right, but short of a retraction. Depending on what the audit says, a retraction may follow.

hzu6nyn8sirfxbifgcei.jpg

Sinking into a depth of despair that they had been able to stave off until this point, locals reported Thursday that an inspirational “Hang in there” chalk message written on a sidewalk was the thing that finally broke the entire neighborhood. “Christ, I was actually feeling okay today, then I go out for a walk and I see this bullshit? We really are doomed,” said resident Sandra Tilly, who claimed that the pathetic use of multi-colored chalk and sad single exclamation point did nothing but remind her of how “useless and powerless we all are right now.” “Are a bunch of stars supposed to make me feel happy? To think a grown person actually spent time on this, makes me want to jump off a bridge. Thank you so much for reminding me I’m living in a waking nightmare. If this is the best we can do, we’re completely fucked.” At press time, residents reported feeling a little better after a thunderstorm destroyed a row of children’s “Thank you heroes” signs.

https://local.theonion.com/inspirational-hang-in-there-chalk-message-the-thing-t-1843729958

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jose said:

This is a huge deal.

It drove me fucking crazy that people wanted hydroxychloroquine to fail just because Trump promoted it.

People weren't hoping it would fail because Trump was promoting it. People were upset Trump was publicly pushing an unproven drug.

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'll say it again and for the umpteenth time.

Clinical trials are difficult. They're borderline impossible for laypeople to understand. They're difficult for people in the industry to understand. And they move SLOWLY.

But let's be clear about something. If there are preliminary indicators that the compound in the clinical trial could be harmful to subjects... that trial or those trials should be halted.

Again, there's much more nuance to this than even these two articles get into, and surely more than my shitposting allows for.

But halting a clinical trial or clinical trials because something seems to be unsafe is not necessarily a problem, it's the system functioning as designed. People should think long and hard about the implications of pharmaceutical companies continuing to conduct research after a compound appears to be unsafe.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

This is a huge deal.

It drove me fucking crazy that people wanted hydroxychloroquine to fail just because Trump promoted it.

Laypeople have no business telling the general population to take a drug for something off label. It has nothing to do with wanting "hydroxychloroquine to fail just because Trump promoted it," and everything to do with quackery being pushed by the President. It contributes to magical thinking, to the ongoing conspiratorial thinking about the pharmaceutical industry, etc. It's dangerous. Even if it ultimately DID effectively treat COVID-19, it's still wildly irresponsible.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

This is a huge deal.

Would you take a drug because the President of the United States told you to? 

THIS PRESIDENT?

It’s like getting cooking tips from Jeffrey Dahmer.

Well my cousin has been down at her moms place trying to sell off stuff and prep the house for an eventual sale on the market. She took her dog with her and was out on a walk. A woman from up the street asked if she had just moved into the area. She said she was staying at her mothers place, and sort of jogged the lady’s memory. She said “oh yeah. Haven’t seen I her in a while, and so, how is she” She then told her that she had passed from Covid-19 and this was the ladies response. “Oh my god, the virus is real? I thought this was just a way for the government to keep people home and control over us” Say the least, my cousin was both mad and a little shocked. She then explained that she and her husband had it and are still recovering, and still can’t breath properly and have no idea when or if they will be back to normal. Woman didn’t know what to say other then “I can’t believe the thing is real” and walked away. 

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

People weren't hoping it would fail because Trump was promoting it. People were upset Trump was publicly pushing an unproven drug.

Hogwash. Every time there was any news that was at all negative about the potential for the drug, people were cheering it. Trump looking bad was more important than a possible therapeutic. 

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Hogwash. Every time there was any news that was at all negative about the potential for the drug, people were cheering it. Trump looking bad was more important than a possible therapeutic. 

(raises hand)

Guilty as charged and not only do I regret NOTHING, I will GLADLY do it AGAIN...and AGAIN...and AGAIN...

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

People can want something to work but cheer when someone has to eat shit because it didn’t, those aren’t exclusive positions. 

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Other than our fearless authoritarian here, people weren't happy that there wasn't a drug that could save lives. People were upset that what Trump said was ridiculously irresponsible. Even if the drug is a miracle cure and Trump turns out to be 100% right, none of that makes his words and actions and less irresponsible.

Let's take this to an extreme to make my point. Gwyneth Paltrow is being criminally reckless selling her stupid jade egg things. If it miraculously turned out to be the cure for cancer, AIDs, and restless leg syndrome all in one, that doesn't make her previous actions any less reckless. The results do not matter given the risks of the unknown when it comes to medicine.