~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

So with the government of Canada announcing that everyone in the country will get $2,000 tax-free if laid off, some provinces are now looking at topping up minimum-wage workers' salaries to get to that level as well so that everyone is making that amount, if working.

This is going to lead to some big changes in society after. I think we're going to (hopefully) see a huge strengthening of the safety net in Canada, such as the permanent expansion of EI to self-owned businesses, gig workers, etc. Hopefully it also leads to overall minimum-wage increases. There will be a bill to pay, but I have a feeling the government is going to go after the rich when this is done. The Liberals are increasing in the polls (above 40% now) with all other parties dropping (CPC-20%, NDP-12%). I hope they use this crisis to improve the country.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some early stat collection on deaths in Europe seem to indicate that men are dying at a 2:1 ratio compared to women. Higher rates of comorbidy, such as heart/coronary disease, perhaps?

I saw that a week ago too, that men are roughly a third of the deaths.

2 hours ago, 69los said:

Can Canada take over the US? I like hockey.

Well you’re going to have to climb over the giant piles of steel we are dumping on/across the boarder.

Seems like I might need to start a 14 day isolation :nervous: Currently we have my cousin and her husband staying in our house and she is pretty sick. She has a fever of about 102, body sweats, aches and a slight cough starting. She called to see if she could get a test done to see if they have it. She was pretty much told that she can’t. They are about 14 days behind for test results and said as long as her breathing is good, just stay home and isolate. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Did not know that and that explains a lot. She's a team player and not in the good sense. SHE was the one that announced  that suggested 14 day quarantine for folks that have been in the NY?NJ area that wasn't recommended by the CDC and that cause HAVOC between me and my family the other night. Now I know why. I will definitely be taking what she says with a grain of salt which is a shame.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Louisiana is kind of an odd ball here, red state with a Dem gov. who has been really proactive, or at least trying to be, which shows through its testing.

People in Red States tend to be in poorer health and older so the mortality numbers there will be insane. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some early stat collection on deaths in Europe seem to indicate that men are dying at a 2:1 ratio compared to women. Higher rates of comorbidy, such as heart/coronary disease, perhaps?

That and the high rates of smoking has been suspected as well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

We did it bois.  We crossed the 100,000 mark!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Is their counter more accurate than the Johns Hopkins one? According to that one we haven't quite crossed a 100,000 yet

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Either way, this is STAGGERING. I did a story last week where the estimate was that we would hit 70,000 by this time this week. We went past that dramatically either way.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

People in Red States tend to be in poorer health and older so the mortality numbers there will be insane. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

That and the high rates of smoking has been suspected as well.

West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky will be absolutely decimated

• Sad 1

I know i'm going to be hurting on money by the end of April. My wife had her last day at the preschool. They are run by a church so may not qualify for unemployment. They are looking into the small business loan/grant thing that's been in the news so they might be able to continue to pay employees. I'm self employed so i might have to look into that too. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I know i'm going to be hurting on money by the end of April. My wife had her last day at the preschool. They are run by a church so may not qualify for unemployment. They are looking into the small business loan/grant thing that's been in the news so they might be able to continue to pay employees. I'm self employed so i might have to look into that too. 

We need something like this here

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-idUSKBN21D34J

3 hours ago, Jason said:

His brilliant analysis of the data given is what caused him to tell us that the churches will be open for business on Easter, he was told by the CDC he has a natural knack for these things so pack it in fellas.  This virus has been beaten, print the banners and let's celebrate.