~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

41 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know why people feel certain of the long term implications of Covid, for the positive or negative. Nobody knows.

Which makes the “everyone just get infected” stratagem (in place of or in addition to vaccination) even worse of an idea. Literal gambling on your future health when there’s a very nonzero chance it could be like HPV or Epstein Barr and give you something very very bad. 

7 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

The reason to have a zero covid policy is to last until you have vaccines or therapeutics. And with covid you need to hit your seniors with an effective vaccine first. China didn’t do this, there very low senior vaccine rates and the vaccine they’re using is reportedly very bad against the worst outcomes for omicron 

if you need something complex that is made in China I hope you have it now 

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

When can I get my 4th dose?

I'm guessing relatively soon:

220313124602-pfizer-vaccine-4th-dose-sup
WWW.CNN.COM

Pfizer is also hoping to make a vaccine that will protect against all variants. "If we are able to achieve that, then I think it is very easy to follow and remember so that we can go back to really the way (we) used to live," th CEO told CBS on Sunday.

I'm the only person in my office still wearing a mask (two N95s each day, one for the morning, the other for the afternoon, and I eat in my car), and I'm only back in the office two days per week because they forced me, even though they acknowledge there were no issues with me working from home. It was about "appearance" since teachers can't work from home. Even though our whole office was gung-ho about vaccination and being safe before, and even though we get 20+ paid sick days per year...already people are hacking up a lung in the other room. Fuck off.

Debating on if I will remove mine come Monday. Almost everyone at my small work place are thinking they will keep it on around customers, but off when the store is empty. I can’t wait to remove but numbers are still so-so and they aren’t the full story. Plus we gotta worry about the latest Delta-Cron variant too

We now know what Omicron would have looked like without vaccination.  Hong Kong has failed to vaccinated the elderly, and primarily used Sinovac.

Canada used mRNA vaccines, and targeted the elderly.  This is why we are close to being able to resume pseudo-normal lives (at least until a new variant arrives).

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

We now know what Omicron would have looked like without vaccination.  Hong Kong has failed to vaccinated the elderly, and primarily used Sinovac.

Canada used mRNA vaccines, and targeted the elderly.  This is why we are close to being able to resume pseudo-normal lives (at least until a new variant arrives).

Dear lord. And I assume this will play out in mainland China, as well?

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Dear lord. And I assume this will play out in mainland China, as well?

The potential is there.  The Omicron BA2 subvariant is reportedly more transmissible than the original Omicron, and there are already several other cities (5 I think?) in China in lockdown.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Iirc mainland china has at least better vaccination rate than HK but still not as good of coverage as like NZ

Sinovac is not great generally and pretty trashy against Omicron and it’s subvariants.

Flying today and one thing I noticed was a pretty big increase since my last flight back in  January of people walking around the terminal without a mask at all, not even just below the nose or even resting on the chin. They just weren’t wearing them through TSA, walking around the terminal, everywhere. Not a ton, but a regular sight as I was walking to my gate.

When people were in the waiting areas at the gate “eating” nobody was putting their masks back on after taking them down/off to eat.

And nobody was telling people to observe the rules. I think we are probably a short time away from the air travel mask mandate going away or simply so many people ignoring it that all enforcement ends.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Flying today and one thing I noticed was a pretty big increase since my last flight back in  January of people walking around the terminal without a mask at all, not even just below the nose or even resting on the chin. They just weren’t wearing them through TSA, walking around the terminal, everywhere. Not a ton, but a regular sight as I was walking to my gate.

When people were in the waiting areas at the gate “eating” nobody was putting their masks back on after taking them down/off to eat.

And nobody was telling people to observe the rules. I think we are probably a short time away from the air travel mask mandate going away or simply so many people ignoring it that all enforcement ends.

This is not the experience I had traveling two weeks ago. Maybe a small handful of people who aren’t wearing them around the terminal and airport, and vigorous enforcement on the plane itself. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I've flown twice in the last month (Ontario/Quebec vs. Texas) -- masks were worn by everyone.  The only exceptions were people sitting with food -- and as you mentioned people weren't lowering to eat.  They were sitting with their coffee and their mask down.

12 minutes ago, Comet said:

I did fly from Dallas to NYC and back last week and can confirm people in Texas don’t give a fuck whereas I was showing my vaccine card to use a public restroom in New York (slight exaggeration). 

Yeah I went to NYC a few months back, had to show the COVID card everywhere.  Flying out of Cincinnati? The gate agent told everyone he wasn't enforcing the mask rules in the waiting area around the gate but that they would be enforced on the plane.

46 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

People in Houston are just a little slower than everyone else.

This was El Paso, which has been a better behaved city than Houston!