~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

DeSantis will be Trump's running mate for 2024. It will be the absolute worst. 

Not if he can help it. He's already positioning himself to run against Trump and appeal to voters who think Trump is too weak on COVID restrictions and vaccines. Trump's star is already fading amongst the base because of his support for vaccines.

9 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Not if he can help it. He's already positioning himself to run against Trump and appeal to voters who think Trump is too weak on COVID restrictions and vaccines. Trump's star is already fading amongst the base because of his support for vaccines.

Has there been much polling movement since Trump began really talking up the vaccines during the Omicron surge? Curious to see what effect it had there.

Trump certainly is still the easy leader in polling, and my quick overview shows there doesn’t seem to have been any shift outside the MoE in the polls over the last 3 months. If the base is turning on him for his vaccine stance, it does not appear that polling is capturing this yet.

I guess I would also be curious as to why that would benefit DeSantis as he has certainly bragged about the Florida vaccine rollout. I suppose Trump fans may not be the most likely to read up on these other candidates :p 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Trump certainly is still the easy leader in polling, and my quick overview shows there doesn’t seem to have been any shift outside the MoE in the polls over the last 3 months. If the base is turning on him for his vaccine stance, it does not appear that polling is capturing this yet.

I guess I would also be curious as to why that would benefit DeSantis as he has certainly bragged about the Florida vaccine rollout. I suppose Trump fans may not be the most likely to read up on these other candidates :p 

I admit my observation her is purely anecdotal. DeSatan is certainly positioning himself to appeal to those who are against vaccines and didn't think there should have been a lockdown in the first place. Will it play out for him? Possibly, but he doesn't have the same charisma or brashness that Trump has.

And sadly Republican voters have the worst memory imaginable, which the GOP loves to exploit. DeSatan can just say he was always anti-vaccine and probably get away with it.

3 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I admit my observation her is purely anecdotal. DeSatan is certainly positioning himself to appeal to those who are against vaccines and didn't think there should have been a lockdown in the first place. Will it play out for him? Possibly, but he doesn't have the same charisma or brashness that Trump has.

And sadly Republican voters have the worst memory imaginable, which the GOP loves to exploit. DeSatan can just say he was always anti-vaccine and probably get away with it.

This is interesting, as you’ll find most of the top GOP names at the moment all supported vaccination. Will their opposition to lockdowns and mandates be enough to overcome the true believers who oppose the vaccines themselves?

I do wonder after some conversations I’ve had with anti-vaccine people whether they could ever vote for a person that supported the administration of vaccines. They seem so completely opposed to the idea that it might actually be difficult for them to pull that lever, even if the other option is worse. Who knows.

GettyImages-1236926662-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

About 37 million infected in omicron wave, and 58% of kids were infected at some point.

An estimated 140 million people in the US—around 43 percent—have had COVID-19, according to the latest analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention using data from the end of January.

The estimate of people infected with COVID-19 is nearly double the CDC's cumulative tally of cases reported at the end of January, which totaled around 74 million. These numbers are expected to differ because many COVID-19 cases are not detected or reported—i.e., people may not get tested at all, or they take a home test that is not reported. That means official case counts are expected to be a significant undercount of actual infections. However, case reports can also include infections in people who have tested positive multiple times, effectively counting some people more than once.

The CDC has been estimating actual infections over time, which provides more insight into the recent tsunami of cases from the ultratransmissible omicron variant. Based on data from the end of November, the CDC estimates that about 37 million people became infected with the pandemic coronavirus in December and January. The number of cases reported to the CDC during that time frame was around 26 million.

The Steel family remains among the 57% :dancing:

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

As demand for COVID-19 vaccines collapses in many areas of the U.S., states are scrambling to use stockpiles of doses before they expire and have to be added to the millions that have already gone to waste.

As demand for COVID-19 vaccines collapses in many areas of the U.S., states are scrambling to use stockpiles of doses before they expire and have to be added to the millions that have already gone to waste.

From some of the least vaccinated states, like Indiana and North Dakota, to some of the most vaccinated states, like New Jersey and Vermont, public health departments are shuffling doses around in the hopes of finding providers that can use them.

State health departments told The Associated Press they have tracked millions of doses that went to waste, including ones that expired, were in a multi-dose vial that couldn’t be used completely or had to be tossed for some other reason like temperature issues or broken vials.

Nearly 1.5 million doses in Michigan, 1.45 million in North Carolina, 1 million in Illinois and almost 725,000 doses in Washington couldn’t be used.

@Jason @SuperSpreader - you guys wanna help 'em out?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
ARSTECHNICA.COM

About 37 million infected in omicron wave, and 58% of kids were infected at some point.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Let anyone who wants continuous boosters every 3-4 months get them, imo.

34 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
ARSTECHNICA.COM

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

As demand for COVID-19 vaccines collapses in many areas of the U.S., states are scrambling to use stockpiles of doses before they expire and have to be added to...

At this point as long as we don't see another huge spike before then I may wait until fall for shot number 5, both to see if an updated shot comes out and to make sure I don't hit that point of getting too many shits too quickly and it becomes bad. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

At this point as long as we don't see another huge spike before then I may wait until fall for shot number 5, both to see if an updated shot comes out and to make sure I don't hit that point of getting too many shits too quickly and it becomes bad. 

Saved for posterity. :]

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Let anyone who wants continuous boosters every 3-4 months get them, imo.

Or send them to struggling countries that don't have a huge supply of vaccines, and are being overwhelmed by covid. 

22 minutes ago, Brick said:

Or send them to struggling countries that don't have a huge supply of vaccines, and are being overwhelmed by covid. 

I don’t think we have any countries who really fit the bill on this issue. The larger issue of vaccination in developing nations is demand, sadly. We are throwing doses away all over the world.

7 hours ago, Brick said:

DeSantis will be Trump's running mate for 2024. It will be the absolute worst. 

Better than the current situation.

Or maybe this is what wanted when you ordered.

Tons of funny that this has ended up as the real scientist said early on, endemic by March 2022. But you all stopped following science ("a vaccince to stop transmission can't be developed efficently in a couple of month" - you all) when the president changed.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Commodore D said:

Tons of funny that this has ended up as the real scientist said early on, endemic by March 2022. But you all stopped following science ("a vaccince to stop transmission can't be developed efficently in a couple of month" - you all) when the president changed.

Are you trying to get Wade to delete your account? 

18 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Can someone in Ohio do a welfare check on my dude? I think he just had a stroke while typing.

14 hours ago, Commodore D said:

@legendWhy would you make an AI that's just deranged YouTube comments?

• Haha 5