~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I just wouldn't show up for work.

Get fired and get no unemployment. Need solidarity and the whole plant needs to walk out/sick out at once.

Add in that these meatpacking workers are some of the absolutely most exploited people, often immigrants, many here illegally, you could be opening yourself up for deportation.

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

My conspiracy theory is that Pence is playing the odds.  He’s significantly younger than Trump and in much better health.  I guarantee you the thought has gone through his mind that if both of them get sick his odds of being president skyrocket.

I hope they both get it. Donald dies cause he’s fecal matter in a suit, and Pence dies, because Dotard orders Pence to be injected with bleach. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Jesus is his mask

Ok, excuse my ignorance here but am I just missing something with new guidance by the CDC or something....these masks are not to protect you, right? Any efficacy they have is like a variation of herd immunity. If everyone wears them, then it's less likely some asymptomatic person is going to sneeze a big cloud of the plague all over the roo. It's basically a more effective way of coughing into your sleeve.

The reason I ask this is because one thing that has made me generally pessimistic about reopening is anectodal evidence I see out at the store.

I prefer personal space in general, so when people are crowding me at the store I hate it. For the first two weeks or so I kind of liked it because people actually seemed to be as concerned with giving people room as much as I normally am. But as things have worn on, I swear people seem to be walking around stores with their paper masks on like it's an impenetrable suit of armor. 

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I just wouldn't show up for work.

That's the trap we talked about earlier though. It's likely if you do that you'll get fired, for cause, and not even be able to collect unemployment.

As I said, I have done this myself and only risked it because I consider my job expendable. For people who need their job, this isn't really an option.

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Ok, excuse my ignorance here but am I just missing something with new guidance by the CDC or something....these masks are not to protect you, right? Any efficacy they have is like a variation of herd immunity. If everyone wears them, then it's less likely some asymptomatic person is going to sneeze a big cloud of the plague all over the roo. It's basically a more effective way of coughing into your sleeve.

The reason I ask this is because one thing that has made me generally pessimistic about reopening is anectodal evidence I see out at the store.

I prefer personal space in general, so when people are crowding me at the store I hate it. For the first two weeks or so I kind of liked it because people actually seemed to be as concerned with giving people room as much as I normally am. But as things have worn on, I swear people seem to be walking around stores with their paper masks on like it's an impenetrable suit of armor. 

That's the trap we talked about earlier though. It's likely if you do that you'll get fired, for cause, and not even be able to collect unemployment.

As I said, I have done this myself and only risked it because I consider my job expendable. For people who need their job, this isn't really an option.

I thought you get unemployment if you are fired, but get nothing if you quit? 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If you're fired for cause, you could be denied unemployment benefits. Not sure if they are enforcing that now.

17 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yes  that's how it works from what I understand. The masks are for other's protection from YOU.

3 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I wonder if Pence is taking one for America. Can’t wait to see him stand side by side with Trump and slowly watch this disease cover it’s eyes and jumps onto Trump to infect.

So you're saying Pence is a Manchurian Candidate?

44 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Companies can fight unemployment claims. It’s part of the reason so many HR departments require so much paper work and disciplinary actions taken before termination, even in “right to work” states. They have a better chance of getting unemployment claims denied if they can show the former employee was given every chance to stay employed, but essentially chose to get themselves fired. It doesn’t always work, but they do win some claims. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Companies can fight unemployment claims. It’s part of the reason so many HR departments require so much paper work and disciplinary actions taken before termination, even in “right to work” states. They have a better chance of getting unemployment claims denied if they can show the former employee was given every chance to stay employed, but essentially chose to get themselves fired. It doesn’t always work, but they do win some claims. 

Ok.

I doubt they'd have much wiggle room though if the claimant said they were terminated because they feared for their health and safety.  I think a company would rather deal with UEB paperwork than a wrongful termination lawsuit, and OSHA breathing down their neck. 

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Being terminated because you won’t risk your personal safety is certainly not a guarantee of denial for UEB.

Also I imagine it varies state by state, but in PA most companies are loathe to dispute unemployment because it is such a pain in the ass. They’d rather just take the hit with the state and move on. 

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Having watched this, there is no doubt in my mind Trump never took the test.

His nose would have fallen out thanks to all the drugs that have gone up it.

My wife got her test done today by the National Guard using this method.  I wasn't there with her, but she said she had to get pumped up before they jammed it in there, practically punching her brain.  

We'll find out the results in 5 to 7 days. 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Ok.

I doubt they'd have much wiggle room though if the claimant said they were terminated because they feared for their health and safety.  I think a company would rather deal with UEB paperwork than a wrongful termination lawsuit, and OSHA breathing down their neck. 

I’d imagine any liability shield Donald would give these companies would include protection from OSHA. Though OSHA is a strange beast. There is much they do mandate for some jobs, then others they mandate almost no thing. 

plus if a company can show they’re “trying”, even if many or most would say it isn’t good enough, and definitely not a guarantee, then that’s it. 

I’ll give you a weird OSHA thing I looked up. So I live in Texas. In the summer we can get rather warm. I work in an office building. So let’s say it is over 100 degrees and the AC broke the night before. Do you know what OSHA does or requires? Nothing. They’ll just give suggestions to the company on how to make things more comfortable. But there is not threshold for office workers that if the temp reaches a certain range employees need to be allowed to leave, or the company needs to bring in mobile AC units, provide cold drinks and fans. Nothing like that for employees that work in office buildings or call centers. 

they have plenty of requirement if we were dealing with hazardous material. 

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’d imagine any liability shield Donald would give these companies would include protection from OSHA. Though OSHA is a strange beast. There is much they do mandate for some jobs, then others they mandate almost no thing. 

plus if a company can show they’re “trying”, even if many or most would say it isn’t good enough, and definitely not a guarantee, then that’s it. 

I’ll give you a weird OSHA thing I looked up. So I live in Texas. In the summer we can get rather warm. I work in an office building. So let’s say it is over 100 degrees and the AC broke the night before. Do you know what OSHA does or requires? Nothing. They’ll just give suggestions to the company on how to make things more comfortable. But there is not threshold for office workers that if the temp reaches a certain range employees need to be allowed to leave, or the company needs to bring in mobile AC units, provide cold drinks and fans. Nothing like that for employees that work in office buildings or call centers. 

they have plenty of requirement if we were dealing with hazardous material. 

I worked in a manufacturing facility where there was no AC, with 90+% of the people working there on the floor in the heat of the summer. I'm talking Florida/North Carolina/Texas muggy shit swamp, not dry heat or anything like that. Had heaters for the winter though

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Also I imagine it varies state by state, but in PA most companies are loathe to dispute unemployment because it is such a pain in the ass. They’d rather just take the hit with the state and move on. 

It’s also helpful to understand how UE works for employers. When a claim is paid out, the main effect it has is the rate you pay on UE insurance in the subsequent year. If you don’t regularly have UE claims, or they are for relatively small amounts relative to your wages, your rate is gonna be pretty low.

For example we paid out around 450k in W2 wages in 2019 and our total UE insurance bill was about $800 because we never have claims. 

2021 rates are gonna be hell though :lol:

But it may not be worth the effort for a lot of places to fight some random frivolous UEB claim.

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Masks are a visual societal contract that you’re doing the absolute bare minimum to protect other human beings.

And unsurprisingly, Mike Pence is a piece of shit.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Thats not entirely true

While temperature is not specifically defined in OHSA rules there is something called "free from recognized hazards". It is very gray area but you can file a grievance with OSHA

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/2001-10-17-0

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Being terminated because you won’t risk your personal safety is certainly not a guarantee of denial for UEB.

I don't know anything about employment law in the US (though I imagine, like Canada, that it's on a state-level basis), but you can't be fired here for doing work that you believe is unsafe. You have a duty to report why it is unsafe (to the provincial labour board) and the whole thing can take a long time to resolve, but I imagine that in many states this same right exists. Normally it would be applied to things like unsafe construction sites, but I could easily see it applying to a place that is not following the required safety measures for a pandemic.

Also, does Trump even have the legal right as President to unilaterally waive liability for a company endangering its employees, regardless of the reason? I don't understand how an executive order could override federal or state law regarding safe workplaces.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't know anything about employment law in the US (though I imagine, like Canada, that it's on a state-level basis), but you can't be fired here for doing work that you believe is unsafe. You have a duty to report why it is unsafe (to the provincial labour board) and the whole thing can take a long time to resolve, but I imagine that in many states this same right exists. Normally it would be applied to things like unsafe construction sites, but I could easily see it applying to a place that is not following the required safety measures for a pandemic.

Also, does Trump even have the legal right as President to unilaterally waive liability for a company endangering its employees, regardless of the reason? I don't understand how an executive order could override federal or state law regarding safe workplaces.

It won't stop him from trying.