Shazam and Aquaman Trailers

Wild

I agree Shazaam looks like a lot of fun. The humor is spot on to what I think a kid of now a day's would handle being a super hero. I already see the hate on Facebook about the trailer. Why do people have to shit on everything before it's even out. It's not like the trailer was even bad.

Shazam could be fun, but it's really close to the cheesy/Youtube movie look and feel.  Or maybe the contrast of how the kid as a kid is more mature than the kid as Shazam.  I really don't like Shazam's voice inflections; he's way over acting.  

I'm digging Aquaman so far, but I can't tell how good or bad this movie will be based on the trailer.  Black Manta looked really badass though.

Both looked fun... Aquaman seems to be shooting for a Black Panther vibe in some of those shots. We gonna see Black Adam or Superman in Shazam? I really hope DC continues to build their Cinematic universe now that Snyder is gone. They are KILLING it on the TV and Comics front right now. I will say that I may have gone for a slightly darker shade of red for Shazam's costume... right now it looks a little like literal long johns.

I liked the trailers. Not too revealing but showed enough for me. But we still have time so more revealing trailers are comimg. 

I don't know enough about Shazam to be hyper critical of it but it looks like what I expect with a kid gaining power and learning the responsibility  of it.

Aquaman looks like we will get more of what Mamoa started with the character in Justice League.

Look forward to both.

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Both looked fun... Aquaman seems to be shooting for a Black Panther vibe in some of those shots. We gonna see Black Adam or Superman in Shazam? I really hope DC continues to build their Cinematic universe now that Snyder is gone. They are KILLING it on the TV and Comics front right now. I will say that I may have gone for a slightly darker shade of red for Shazam's costume... right now it looks a little like literal long johns.

But Shazam going for Black Panther vibe because of that Kendrick.

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean he is a literal kid, so it kind of seems fitting that the outfit is a little goofy looking if that's what a kid thinks a superhero looks like.

37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not your type? :p

That's not it at all. I've met him at a comic con and he's super handsome and incredibly cool but in movies (even GoT), I'm not sure what it is, he's just meh to me. I think it's his acting. 

Apparently there was an extended trailer shown to those in attendance that seems to suggest Aquaman will go through a character arc to make him less of a douchey-bro that he was in Justice League, think like how Thor learned to be less of an asshole in his first movie.

37 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Mamoa doesn't seem like a comfortable fit with Aquaman. There is a bit of disconnect between his protrayal in the movies and the actual comic book character. More character study would help Mamoa.

I think bit is an understatement but that is more on Snyder than Jason.

7 hours ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I think bit is an understatement but that is more on Snyder than Jason.

I think Mamoa is playing Aquaman the way they wanted him to... It's a different take on the character who let's face it, doesn't really have a distinct personality. Mamoa's Aquaman actually reminds me more of Marvel's Namor in look and temperment if not manner. I know they were going for a kind of "Wolverine" vibe with Aquaman for the movies.

Aquaman looks another green screen round of DC tedium to me. It could be good fun, but I feel like it's going to have a third act that fades in bombast. I'm also completely worn out on the "I'm not a hero" plotline in superhero movies. That's the (non-Snyder) problem DC is facing right now. In Marvel everyone is a hero and being a hero, and in DC they're still trying to go back and jumpstart origin stories. It feels like we're going backwards because we've already had the team-ups.

Shazam looks refreshing because besides the comedy, the kid wants to be a superhero. It's also what made the new Spider-man fun.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think Mamoa is playing Aquaman the way they wanted him to... It's a different take on the character who let's face it, doesn't really have a distinct personality. Mamoa's Aquaman actually reminds me more of Marvel's Namor in look and temperment if not manner. I know they were going for a kind of "Wolverine" vibe with Aquaman for the movies.

You said it best, he never really had a personality. I'm fine with this take on Aquaman to distinguish him from his more popular Justice League partners.

My only issue with Aquaman is they have done this same story for like every iteration of Aquaman. The old DC Animated Universe, the newer DC animated movies, and now in this movie. For me, and possibly many others it is a very tired story. Only beaten by Superman origin and Batman origin stories. 

Shazam looks fun though. 

29 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

My only issue with Aquaman is they have done this same story for like every iteration of Aquaman. The old DC Animated Universe, the newer DC animated movies, and now in this movie. For me, and possibly many others it is a very tired story. Only beaten by Superman origin and Batman origin stories. 

Shazam looks fun though. 

Yeah but Aquaman is nowhere near as familiar to the general public as Batman and Superman... most folks don't know his origin. Honestly they've pretty much hamstrung Marvel's ability to do a Namor The Sub Mariner movie because he and Aquaman's origins are virtually identical and the movie Aquaman looks more like Namor than traditional Aquaman.

Aquaman looked fun . . . but the trailer wasn't very good. The thing was a total rip-off of Black Panther, except replace retro-African futurism with underwater fantasy world. Half-brother, bad king, dethrone him, big final battle of armies - it's Black Panther!

James Wan is a good director though, so we'll see. 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:21 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

The Rock (who is playing Black Adam) has said he is not in this movie.  It seems like Shazam might not be in the Black Adam movie either.  Like they are doing a Venom kinda thing and separating Black Adam out to be his own thing.

To me I don't like the look of Shazam.  I don't like the huge fake muscle suit.  However this isn't really made for me.  It is obviously for a younger demo... so it is fine.

Aquaman looks like way too much CGI and silly underwater stuff.  The funny thing is I would give Marvel a pass on that - but thats because they have proven they can pull it off.  I will need to be convinced that DC can.  I haven't enjoyed a DC movie since the Nolan Batman's.