Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

“We’re looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby - congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen. ... It’s frankly ridiculous,” Trump told reporters outside the White House.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-trump/trump-says-he-is-seriously-looking-at-ending-birthright-citizenship-idUSKCN1VB21B

Literally nothing more unconstitutional.

I guess they'll go with the argument "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" in the 14th amendment means that children born here aren't subject to the jurisdiction of the United States of their parents aren't citizens.

Absolute insanity.

41 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Literally nothing more unconstitutional.

I guess they'll go with the argument "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" in the 14th amendment means that children born here aren't subject to the jurisdiction of the United States of their parents aren't citizens.

Absolute insanity.

I actually disagree.  I don't believe the 14th amendment grants birthright citizenship.  

That being said, I don't have a problem with birthright citizenship, but it should be born from legislation and not interpretation of the 14th amendment.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I actually disagree.  I don't believe the 14th amendment grants birthright citizenship.  

That being said, I don't have a problem with birthright citizenship, but it should be born from legislation and not interpretation of the 14th amendment.

I don't think you know what words mean.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Common law is great when I agree with it!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The baby of two foreigners is subject to the jurisdiction of their parents nation, I would argue.

Unless you have diplomatic status,you're subject to the jurisdiction of a country while you're within the borders of that country.

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The baby of two foreigners is subject to the jurisdiction of their parents nation, I would argue.

That's not what jurisdiction means. If you're in the United States, you're subject to the laws of the United States. Aside from ambassadors and other diplomats as Jason said above.

On a subnational level, if you break an Ohio  law in Ohio, you are subject to the jurisdiction of Ohio, not the state in which you are a resident.

Leaving aside that this would violate the 14th amendment, how would this even be implemented?

Does everyone have to take a citizenship test when they turn a certain age?  Is everyone under that age then assumed to not be a citizen?  Would that mean they are not subject to the rights of US citizens?

And what happens if someone fails the test?  Do you just get shipped to some random country?

Your interpretation even flys in the face of the rationale for the 14th amendment.

It was created to directly repeal some of the Dread Scott decision, and the people writing the amendment went out of their way to say that it would grant citizenship to children of (at the time) "undesirable" immigrants such as Chinese and gypsies.

And further, even if you accept this faulty argument, it is the purview of Congress, not the president, to make immigration and naturalization law. This is different than DACA, where the president agreed to defer action on a class of resident noncitizens in violation of the law(under certain conditions) because Trump would be actively changing the legal status of those born here.

51 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

So to be clear on your positions, you don't think it's reasonable to interpret limitations to the scope of guns the second amendment supports and are in general worried about removing "rights" from people; but you also think that the 14th amendment is too wish-washy on birthright citizenship and in need to further legislation to solidify.

Am I getting that right?

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Leaving aside that this would violate the 14th amendment, how would this even be implemented?

Does everyone have to take a citizenship test when they turn a certain age?  Is everyone under that age then assumed to not be a citizen?  Would that mean they are not subject to the rights of US citizens?

And what happens if someone fails the test?  Do you just get shipped to some random country?

I doubt Trump has thought this through, like, at all, but it's birthright citizenship. Presumably you'd wind up with non-citizen permanent residency status.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also subject to wherever they live. Or would you argue that residents and tourists in the US are not subject to any of its laws?

If you're only subject to the jurisdiction of the country you're a citizen of then how can we deport illegal immigrants under American law?

UEwzwB-90sxfOxpN5kjf3qmfSLS6o-sat995maKZ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose said:

I am shocked. This is my shocked face.

We are a nation of immigrants.  We should continue to be so.  I just don't think the 14th says what you (and everyone else ITT, lol) think it says.  I hope that people don't assume I take this stance as some anti-immigrant or racial sentiment.  YMMV doe.  

I'll try and respond later tonight to expand on my reasoning, but I think we've had this debate before - with the corresponding gang-bang of my logic/line of thinking.  

:peace:

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

We are a nation of immigrants.  We should continue to be so.  I just don't think the 14th says what you (and everyone else ITT, lol) think it says.  I hope that people don't assume I take this stance as some anti-immigrant or racial sentiment.  YMMV doe.  

I'll try and respond later tonight to expand on my reasoning, but I think we've had this debate before - with the corresponding gang-bang of my logic/line of thinking.  

:peace:

If it didn't say that then the children and grandchildren of slaves wouldn't be citizens. 

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

If it didn't say that then the children and grandchildren of slaves wouldn't be citizens. 

Slaves were not subject to the jurisdiction of any other country.  The 14th amendment ensured the children of freed slaves would be granted citizenship.

4 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

It starts with this "optional" questionnaire.

Common-App-Demographic-Question.png

With anyone answering anything other than "white" being passed on to a citizenship test.

4 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

This is literally Trump dog whistling to his base. He knows he can't do this, but he is telling them what they want to hear.