The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

26 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Poor choice of words but I maintain it’s the primary one!

I see it primarily as an allegory for the Vedic concept of maya. The trans reader is just one small piece of the much bigger idea that the world around us is an illusion and that nothing is as it seems to be.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

On 12/6/2021 at 1:08 PM, Mercury33 said:

Dont watch it. I still don’t 100% know what this is about but the last two trailers def give you a pretty solid look at the main theme. If you like that feeling of knowing I’d imagine discovering that theme for the first time while watching the actual movie would be pretty awesome. 

That being said, that trailer was INCREDIBLE

I ended up giving in and watching it. I don't think it really gives too much away, though if I were super spoilerphobic I might have been upset by a reveal or too.

Great trailer, but still nothing beats the first trailer for me. Maybe one of the best trailers in quite some time.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

The first critic "reactions" are in, so read at your own peril!

210909143904-matrix-resurrections-traile
WWW.CNN.COM

Which pill will you take, love it or hate it?

MCDMARE_WB054.jpg?w=780
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

The latest entry in the "Matrix" franchise has finally screened, and here's what people have to say.

c9a747daeb79e325ecd120a97c0802ef.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

Sounds like Lana Wachowski has made a romantic, meta sequel for the ages.

Matrix-Resurrections-Everett-H-2021.jpg?
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

A host of critics, bloggers and entertainment journalists are posting their thoughts on the fourth film in the 'Matrix' franchise.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Cloud Atlas all over again?

I think this probably sets good expectations for how divided the reaction will be.

I very much enjoyed Cloud Atlas 👀

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Seems like reviews are all over the place on this one. Maybe I will err on the side of caution & watch it first on HBOMax prior to going forward & getting a theater ticket?

The reviews are divisive, but those that like this movie LOVE it. I feel like when there is a divisive reaction for a movie I’m looking forward to I still try to see it in the best format available. So even if I don’t like it, I can at least say I gave it the best shot possible. I think it will play well on a big screen regardless.

4 minutes ago, Komusha said:

The reviews are divisive, but those that like this movie LOVE it. I feel like when there is a divisive reaction for a movie I’m looking forward to I still try to see it in the best format available. So even if I don’t like it, I can at least say I gave it the best shot possible. I think it will play well on a big screen regardless.

Your infectious optimism is a GOOD THING! Thank you for chiming in with that.

• Thanks 1

Cloud Atlas I really enjoyed but I 100% could understand why it was divisive and how someone could dislike it. Last Jedi I loved but 100% could not understand people that didn’t like it and when they try to explain I just assume they’re morons and incapable of rational thought. 

So I’m curious which of those two forms of divisive it will be. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

Considering how homogeneous the majority of hollywood movies are these days, there is practically zero chance that I won't enjoy something that's taking huge swings like this.  There is nothing that the Wachowski's have done that I haven't at the very least really appreciated if not outright loved, and The Matrix is probably a top five all time favorite of mine.  It's also easily the most exciting theater experience I've ever had.

That said, what the fuck is up with these twitter "reactions" for every movie?  "OMG you guys I LAUGHED and I also CRIED so hard and I have a totally new perspective on existence now".  The hyperbole is just hilarious, and it's particularly dialed up with anything Marvel related.

I can't believe we're getting a new Matrix movie in two days, and we somehow also got four hours of MacGruber already.  2021 is redeemed at the last minute.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

My spoiler free review:

It was good.  I enjoyed it a lot actually.  If anything, I was expecting it to be way more meta than it actually was.  Sadly at no point does Lana Wachowski appear as herself and lecture the audience at length about chud appropriation of the term redpill.  To that end I don't even know how someone can be genuinely angry at it either, it's not as much of an outright fuck you to reactionary conservatism as early whispers lead me to hope.  It feels like the Matrix ditched half baked pseudo -philosophy to focus on nostalgia and human connection both in how those can be good and bad.  Really the only complaint I have is that while it still brings back many gorgeous practical effects, and while CGI has become dramatically better in the intervening years, big graphics setpieces still have a fraction of the impact of the original.  The Matrix made you wonder how the fuck they were doing these things, now you know it's just computers spitting this stuff out and it just kind of melts together.  Big fights without a single actual human or real life location don't move the needle for me anymore.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just finished it... I didn't hate it. Will need to watch it again, but be clear... I don't think this is a good movie. There are parts I definitely liked and parts I was like wtf? Hugo Weaving would have made this SOOOO much better though.

And Laurence Fishburne.

That's right I'm still beating that drum! But also everything can potentially be made better with Laurence Fishburne.

8 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

My spoiler free review:

It was good.  I enjoyed it a lot actually.  If anything, I was expecting it to be way more meta than it actually was.  Sadly at no point does Lana Wachowski appear as herself and lecture the audience at length about chud appropriation of the term redpill.  To that end I don't even know how someone can be genuinely angry at it either, it's not as much of an outright fuck you to reactionary conservatism as early whispers lead me to hope.  It feels like the Matrix ditched half baked pseudo -philosophy to focus on nostalgia and human connection both in how those can be good and bad.  Really the only complaint I have is that while it still brings back many gorgeous practical effects, and while CGI has become dramatically better in the intervening years, big graphics setpieces still have a fraction of the impact of the original.  The Matrix made you wonder how the fuck they were doing these things, now you know it's just computers spitting this stuff out and it just kind of melts together.  Big fights without a single actual human or real life location don't move the needle for me anymore.

Being wowed by special effects is unfortunately one of the many joys that died with our childhoods. Not that we were all children when The Matrix came out... Alright better said, it's one of those nostalgic pieces of the past that we want to have back, and keep hoping to feel again, but now that literally anything is possible in film, it never will.

23 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Did not like it.  Matrix Revolutions is no longer the worst Matrix film.

Disagree...Revolutions is far worse than this.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Perfecting deep fake stuff would probably still wow me. 

But who knows, maybe there’s some cool effect that hasn’t been invented yet that could still amaze people the way bullet time or the T1000 did. I put my trust in James Cameron to find a way haha

I definitely think film and VFX can still wow us. There have been films since the Matrix that have wowed us with Special Effects work. The issues with this movie aren't just the lack of truly impressive VFX sequences and underwhelming action scenes. There's some weird pacing here. 

On 12/22/2021 at 9:40 PM, Mercury33 said:

Perfecting deep fake stuff would probably still wow me. 

But who knows, maybe there’s some cool effect that hasn’t been invented yet that could still amaze people the way bullet time or the T1000 did. I put my trust in James Cameron to find a way haha

Convincingly aging and de-aging actors, brinking back those who have died to reprise roles (there's rightfully a debate on how ethical it is, but it will happen regardless) using their likeness for digital stunt doubles via deep fake technology or something like it, and bridging the uncanny valley for cgi creatures and animals is the next step.  Most cgi beasts in live action films and TV still don't look and move quite right, and this is obviously even more true of actors' digital stunt doubles. Your mind can still tell the difference, even w/ the most convincing examples like that Bear in The Revenant. Once this is no longer the case, the potential of cgi will more or less be realized. 

That very last 20 or so seconds alongside the post-cred spot ... I mean if you want to call hitting a superhero landing while shattering both ankles & snapping your Achilles tendons in the process all for a hearty laugh is a success is a good thing then sure?

OK I jest, but only to a point. The NPH moment that is the film's version of "You are all a disease." type condemnation definitely hit me hard but not as much so as Weaving's scene in the original.

There are concepts here that are, good but seem sort of half baked I guess?

The fight choreography wasn't bad, it was the editing & quick cuts as opposed to long static shots of the moves & that's a bit jarring for sure. There are times where it seems like it wants to present both cake & pie as well as eat them both whole (if that makes sense?) yet all without being filling from either ultimately.

I did have a couple gasps, mouth claps, even a little welling of tears in the ducts but even that I cannot be certain if it was emotional manipulation or genuinely real. Then with that comes the double take of "OMG is it supposed to feel that way because its supposed to feel that way!?" or even "Is it meta on meta because I'm analyzing my moment to moment feelings, reactions, thoughts because that's what the film is mirroring?"

I keep having a word echo in my mind: BIZARRE! This is worth rewatching certainly but I am absolutely ahving trouble really nailing down a solid stance on my sentiment.

This was really disappointing.  I thought the script for the first half was very strong and it was a genuinely clever way to continue the story, but outside of that, it feels and look like a direct-to-SyFy channel movie in comparison to the originals.  I appreciate the middle finger approach to making a sequel, but this is just a sad shadow. 

The VFX weren't necessarily bad, but they have the same digital weightless, sloppy feeling that most modern movies suffer from.  The original also has phenomenal cinematography, and really striking camerawork.  Just compare the first scene with Trinity and this movie's opening recreation, it's brutal.  It has a different visual style, and that's fine, but I couldn't feel any energy behind anything happening in Resurrections.  The original movie, and even the less well-received sequels, had a wild creative charge that is completely absent here.