The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

16 hours ago, SoberChef said:

The Matrix & Saving Private Ryan are two of the top regrets in films I failed to see in a theater. That being said about Matrix specifically, I was working at a local video rental shop & I snagged a copy to take home, ended up rewatching that film about a half dozen times over the next couple days, I just could not get enough of it!

I was 11 years old when Saving Private Ryan came out and I went with a friend and his parents to the drive in. Kids movie was on first (I think was Dr. Dolittle) and then SPR showed right after. My parents would have flipped their shit if they knew I saw that at 11 years old. I remember them renting it later on and afterwards they were like "You definitely won't be watching that movie!". 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I was 11 years old when Saving Private Ryan came out and I went with a friend and his parents to the drive in. Kids movie was on first (I think was Dr. Dolittle) and then SPR showed right after. My parents would have flipped their shit if they knew I saw that at 11 years old. I remember them renting it later on and afterwards they were like "You definitely won't be watching that movie!". 

My dad took me to see Rising Sun when I was 9 so SPR was nothing by the time it came out for me. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the appeal of the Matrix franchise is going in expecting to be blown away over and over again by fight scenes and unique plot developments, so I'm definitely trying to avoid spoilers. Obviously everyone remembers their minds being blown by pretty much everything in the first movie, me included. But for me I remember being super excited in a theater and from the go The Matrix Reloaded was cool as hell. The highway chase blew my mind, and for me, yes, I loved how gutsy the Architect scene was at the end. Even the Matrix Revolutions, I like the final confrontation with the Merovingian, the mech battle and final stand of Zion, the final Smith vs. Neo fight (to a degree), and the ambivalent ending.

This is a really fun universe to play in. These should be weird and crazy films, that's how they always felt to me even if they probably feel quaint by modern standards in terms of filmmaking style. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:40 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Part of the appeal of the Matrix franchise is going in expecting to be blown away over and over again by fight scenes and unique plot developments, so I'm definitely trying to avoid spoilers. Obviously everyone remembers their minds being blown by pretty much everything in the first movie, me included. But for me I remember being super excited in a theater and from the go The Matrix Reloaded was cool as hell. The highway chase blew my mind, and for me, yes, I loved how gutsy the Architect scene was at the end. Even the Matrix Revolutions, I like the final confrontation with the Merovingian, the mech battle and final stand of Zion, the final Smith vs. Neo fight (to a degree), and the ambivalent ending.

This is a really fun universe to play in. These should be weird and crazy films, that's how they always felt to me even if they probably feel quaint by modern standards in terms of filmmaking style. 

I rewatched the whole trilogy recently and it was a fun journey, even though I still don't love Revolutions as a whole.  Reloaded is super underrated though. They really are weird movies in such a good way. I think the idiosyncratic nature of them became too much for most audiences with the sequels, but even the first movie is just bonkers from the very beginning. Neo's mouth closes up, a bug is planted inside his bellybutton, and he awakens naked in a pod of goo... - and that's just in the first half hour! So much of this weirdness is taken for granted today but it's easy to see an alternate timeline where none of this really connected with mainstream audiences. It honestly feels like a miracle that it was the phenomenon that it was. I appreciate it all the more in today's blockbuster climate.

So it's foolish to expect this new movie to be something safe, and I'm so glad that this is shaping up to be a wild ride. I want it to be divisive. I want people walking away scratching their heads. We need another Matrix movie to shake things up, and I am so ready.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Komusha said:

I rewatched the whole trilogy recently and it was a fun journey, even though I still don't love Revolutions as a whole.  Reloaded is super underrated though. They really are weird movies in such a good way. I think the idiosyncratic nature of them became too much for most audiences with the sequels, but even the first movie is just bonkers from the very beginning. Neo's mouth closes up, a bug is planted inside his bellybutton, and he awakens naked in a pod of goo... - and that's just in the first half hour! So much of this weirdness is taken for granted today but it's easy to see an alternate timeline where none of this really connected with mainstream audiences. It honestly feels like a miracle that it was the phenomenon that it was. I appreciate it all the more in today's blockbuster climate.

So it's foolish to expect this new movie to be something safe, and I'm so glad that this is shaping up to be a wild ride. I want it to be divisive. I want people walking away scratching their heads. We need another Matrix movie to shake things up, and I am so ready.

First Matrix gets the benefit from the "average Joe who finds out he's special" story that grounds it for most people.  The sequels' attempt to ground casual audiences was to double down on the special effects, but they also double down on the craziness.  Another thing the sequels did was making the ideas more complex with a lot of explanation. The Merovingian scene that drags on is a prime example among many long-winded high-level dialogue scenes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to For some inexplicable reason, another Matrix film edges closer to reality, update: "Deja Vú" trailer
10 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Wait, why does it say only in cinemas, did the HBO max thing fall through or is this purely international?

11 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

@LazyPiranhawith the not so lazy eye there, very good point. I did think that this was going day & date to HBOMax (regardless I am TOTALLY seeing this in a 4DX screening so it doesn't matter, however repeat viewings would be awesome after that initial viewing.)

It's going to be on HBO Max:

square%20social%20logo%20400%20x%20400_0
WWW.HBOMAX.COM

See The Matrix Resurrections December 22, in theaters and streaming exclusively on HBO Max. Sign up now to experience the biggest movies of 2021 on HBO Max.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to For some inexplicable reason, another Matrix film edges closer to reality, update: Official Trailer 2
5 minutes ago, Komusha said:

How much does this trailer show? One thing I really enjoy about the marketing so far is that nobody really knows what the movie is even about.

Dont watch it. I still don’t 100% know what this is about but the last two trailers def give you a pretty solid look at the main theme. If you like that feeling of knowing I’d imagine discovering that theme for the first time while watching the actual movie would be pretty awesome. 

That being said, that trailer was INCREDIBLE

• Like 1