The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

Culture_Matrix-4_WB-1-1200x630-e16421167
WWW.WIRED.COM

The subtle beauty of Lana Wachowski's long-awaited sequel is that it doesn't care what people think.

I agree it doesn't care what people think... which begs the question " Then why make it?" I know one of the guys in the article too.  He's spot on with his criticisms.

I think the question of “why make it” is basically answered in the movie.  It was getting made whether they wanted it to be or not, Neo and Trinity are literally brought back from the dead against their will and plugged into the machine to make it go.  Whether or not people like the approach Resurrections decides to take, it is at least interesting to see a movie be a complete commentary on its own creation and to make it gospel in both the film world and the real world that no matter what you expected we’re taking this contraption you’ve forced us into and turning it into a love story.  

7 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I think the question of “why make it” is basically answered in the movie.  It was getting made whether they wanted it to be or not, Neo and Trinity are literally brought back from the dead against their will and plugged into the machine to make it go.  Whether or not people like the approach Resurrections decides to take, it is at least interesting to see a movie be a complete commentary on its own creation and to make it gospel in both the film world and the real world that no matter what you expected we’re taking this contraption you’ve forced us into and turning it into a love story.  

Yes, all of this.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:11 AM, LazyPiranha said:

Gremlins 2 did it first. 

1 hour ago, Derek said:

I haven't seen it yet. I don't even care that much about the social commentary. I just wanted some fresh, cool Matrix action and it sounds like we did not get that either. :(

No because the Wachowski's have only cared more about art and commentary over action since the original Matrix trilogy. In fact, I'd argue the Wachowski's are pacifists today who see action in films as perpetuating the problem. I can't imagine they were too happy with The Matrix being associated with the Columbine shooting or that alt-righters have taken and misused the "red pill" idea. 

There was no Yuen Woo-Ping on this movie, I never expected for them to care about action anymore, I think they are against it in media now. I think most audience members feel like you, whereas I'm more interested in the route they did take than more of the same (as good or enjoyable as that could have been). The Wachowski's are, for good or bad, challenging filmmakers - they were never going to just give us what we want and make a crowd-pleasing nostalgia fest ala Spider-Man: No Way Home (which was great) but this is The Matrix, not Marvel.