The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, a part of me agrees, but at the same time, I believe the Wachowskis produced The Matrix Online, so it matters to them I assume, and so, it is technically true that he was killed off.

That doesn't address what I wrote. I wrote my post assuming it's true and canon.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

That doesn't address what I wrote. I wrote my post assuming it's true and canon.

I mean, I said more. It is what it is. Either you think canon shouldn't matter because you didn't participate in it all, or you think it should because someone's trying to create a cohesive universe. Or you feel the character is too important to be killed off in a game vs. a movie. It depends on what mediums you care about. For someone who loved the MMO, maybe they're happy its story is being respected? I dunno.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, I said more. It is what it is. Either you think canon shouldn't matter because you didn't participate in it all, or you think it should because someone's trying to create a cohesive universe. Or you feel the character is too important to be killed off in a game vs. a movie. It depends on what mediums you care about. For someone who loved the MMO, maybe they're happy its story is being respected? I dunno.

No, I don't care what medium it happened in (the execution seems problematic regardless of medium, but that's a separate issue). The issue is they decided they couldn't figure out a way to bring Morpheus back, despite other dead characters being brought back, or they felt it wasn't important enough to try.

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

No, I don't care what medium it happened in (the execution seems problematic regardless of medium, but that's a separate issue). The issue is they decided they couldn't figure out a way to bring Morpheus back, despite other dead characters being brought back, or they felt it wasn't important enough to try.

Or they actively wanted him to stay dead narratively for whatever reason(s) too and not try to bring him back.

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

“What is canon” has to be the least interesting discussion in fandom, tied with, “who would win this beam fight.”

No Lie Detected

Tell me a compelling story and I realllly don’t care

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

CBS does suck... but wasn't Hannibal on NBC?

I think he's referring to the fact that CBS/MGM holds the rights to Silence of the Lambs characters like Clarice, but NBC/Universal holds the rights to the other books. It's something complicated like that. I know Fuller when talking about if they got to get to Silence of the Lambs part of the story in Hannibal they might have not been able to use Clarice, and might have needed to make up a new character. It's why the CBS show Clarice doesn't mention Hannibal by name or show him at all. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Reputator said:

If this is true, this is complete bullshit. For multiple reasons.

1. Obviously The Matrix Online wasn't some massive success, and few people even know what happened in the game. Hell I didn't even know until today with videos and articles like this talking about it. The movie would have to explain this through exposition, which would be a shitty way of ending his character from the perspective of those that didn't play the game. Hell, looking at the video, it was a shitty way of ending the character even if you DID play the game.
  2. Yeah, um... Neo and Trinity died too. So if the reason Morpheus can't be in it is because he was killed in a videogame, so the fuck what?
  3. He is a central character to this franchise, second only to Neo. For many, he is a favorite. I think he might be mine as well. Seeing the growth of his character from fearing the agents, sacrificing himself and almost being killed by one, to later kicking their (upgraded) asses in Reloaded, was such a pleasure. And Fishburne COMMANDS the screen when he's on it. His presence is just...amazing. The Matrix really isn't The Matrix without him, and it's dissatisfying to fans to exclude him.

The more I think about it, the more this actually pisses me off.

How bout maybe we wait to see the film and how they handle it before we go into nuclear nerd rage mode 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Lawrence Fishburne has already confirmed he's not in it, so we don't exactly need to see the movie to know he's absent.

That was not remotely the point @Mercury33was making. Fishburne not being in the movie says nothing of how the film handles the absence of the character.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

CBS does suck... but wasn't Hannibal on NBC?

CBS held onto the rights of Clarice Starling that ultimately ended up in a failed, short lived, single season shit show as opposed to what COULD have been in the Hannibal universe under the tutelage of Bryan Fuller!

I enjoyed Lawrence Fishburnes portrayal of Morpheus. With that said, him not being in a sequel to films that were last completed almost 2 decades ago wont get an eye brow raise from me. Maybe after I see the movie Ill have a different perspective but not gonna wig out over something I dont know or havent seen yet.

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

“What is canon” has to be the least interesting discussion in fandom, tied with, “who would win this beam fight.”

I don't care about canon, but if I'm the writer/director/producer of everything in the franchise (more or less), from their perspective they may want to stick to what they established is all I'm saying.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

No Lie Detected

Tell me a compelling story and I realllly don’t care

Yeah, agreed, whether you're following canon or breaking it or whatever.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That was not remotely the point @Mercury33was making. Fishburne not being in the movie says nothing of how the film handles the absence of the character.

Yes, exactly. Him being killed off in a game doesn't mean anything about how they handle it (good or bad) here, among other things.

17 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It's been a decade since I've seen the first one, and even longer for the sequels.  Do they have a 4k release? Would love to rewatch them, even though what I just saw in this trailer is more visually spectacular than my memory of the trilogy is.

For awhile it was only the original that had a 4k release, but it looks like they all got released now.

Apparently only HBO Max is streaming them.

16 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It's been a decade since I've seen the first one, and even longer for the sequels.  Do they have a 4k release? Would love to rewatch them, even though what I just saw in this trailer is more visually spectacular than my memory of the trilogy is.

They do, look stunning in 4K, and they all got the amazing Dolby Atmos treatment too. I bought the series for the 5/6th time and I better fucking be done (only The Matrix on ws vhs, DVD, ultimate collection DVD set, HD-DVD, blu-ray, and now 4K) 

4 hours ago, SoberChef said:

CBS held onto the rights of Clarice Starling that ultimately ended up in a failed, short lived, single season shit show as opposed to what COULD have been in the Hannibal universe under the tutelage of Bryan Fuller!

it was moved to Paramount+ for the 2nd season

Watched the first one with the wifey today since we are in Covid exposure quarantine and she had never seen it. Maaaaaan, that is a well crafted flick. Got me more excited for whatever they are doing with Resurrections! 

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Watched the first one with the wifey today since we are in Covid exposure quarantine and she had never seen it. Maaaaaan, that is a well crafted flick. Got me more excited for whatever they are doing with Resurrections! 

Nice lying to your wife.

Hey honey, we will watch this movie in anticipation for the new one. There was no other Matrix other than this one, please be excited!

I think seeing the first one is still probably the most memorable experience seeing a movie in a theater for me. Blew my damn mind at age 14, and the ad campaigns and trailers for it did a good job of not giving stuff away, and it was in an era where you weren't gonna get spoiled for a movie by going on line and seeing either a bunch of social media posts about it or a bunch of clickbaity think-pieces.

The Matrix & Saving Private Ryan are two of the top regrets in films I failed to see in a theater. That being said about Matrix specifically, I was working at a local video rental shop & I snagged a copy to take home, ended up rewatching that film about a half dozen times over the next couple days, I just could not get enough of it!

2 hours ago, Derek said:

I was just thinking about it. For some reason I'm more disappointed that Hugo Weaving isn't back than I am about Fishburne.  Maybe because I know I'll get my Reeves/Fishburne coupling soon enough. 

Unfortunately Weaving isn't in it because of scheduling conflicts as a result of Covid. They had a role written for him and everything.