The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

29 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Apparently in this movie the blue pills are taken as a prescription drug, which is an interesting approach to the Matrix metaphor.

Also I’m really glad they let Keanu keep the beard for this movie.

That seems to be what is happening in the trailer as Thomas speaks to his therapist.

And the fact that filmmakers are happy to let Keanu keep his normal hair and beard says a lot about how well liked he is.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:29 PM, sblfilms said:

That seems to be what is happening in the trailer as Thomas speaks to his therapist.

And the fact that filmmakers are happy to let Keanu keep his normal hair and beard says a lot about how well liked he is.

It's interesting because Keanu is in a much different position than he was 20+ years ago. He still wasn't being taken seriously as an actor but currently he has been cemented himself as an action icon who has one of the kindest hearts in Hollywood. Whereas on the other hand, the legacy of the Matrix reputation really took a dip with the sequels, to the point that the idea of a 4th movie is still seen as a joke to a lot of people.

So while Keanu needed The Matrix in '99 to prove himself, in '21 Matrix 4 needs Keanu much more than Keanu needs it. So if he wants to keep that beard and hair, you best believe he's keeping that damn beard and hair.

3 hours ago, Komusha said:

It's interesting because Keanu is in a much different position than he was 20+ years ago. He still hasn’t being taken seriously as an actor but currently he has been cemented himself as an action icon who has one of the kindest hearts in Hollywood. Whereas on the other hand, the legacy of the Matrix reputation really took a dip with the sequels, to the point that the idea of a 4th movie is still seen as a joke to a lot of people.

So while Keanu needed The Matrix in '99 to prove himself, in '21 Matrix 4 needs Keanu much more than Keanu needs it. So if he wants to keep that beard and hair, you best believe he's keeping that damn beard and hair.

I don’t think the idea of a fourth Matrix is a joke purely because of the reputation of the sequels, I think the idea is also kind of a joke because of the finality of the ending.  If you’re going to bring back a bunch of dead characters and resurrect a destroyed system, you’re going to have to work very hard to convince an audience that isn’t a lazy attempt to cash in on existing favorites as opposed to creating something entirely new.  

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

I don’t think the idea of a fourth Matrix is a joke purely because of the reputation of the sequels, I think the idea is also kind of a joke because of the finality of the ending.  If you’re going to bring back a bunch of dead characters and resurrect a destroyed system, you’re going to have to work very hard to convince an audience that isn’t a lazy attempt to cash in on existing favorites as opposed to creating something entirely new.  

The characters are dead and I don't know how they're going to handle that. Reincarnations? Dunno. But the Matrix wasn't destroyed, they just entered a truce/equilibrium period where people are allowed to leave if they choose and are left alone, and people that want to stay feed the machines.

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I recently rewatched The Matrix trilogy and I don't think it's as final as you remember. The Matrix is still left intact, but humans can now chose to leave the system if they want. Neo dies, but his body is carried away by the machines and we never see what happens after that. Trinity is definitely dead, sure. The title of Resurrections does acknowledge that their return will be addressed in the story and part of the mystery. I'm willing to give either Wachowskis the benefit of the doubt at this point because nothing else they have done has been safe or a cash grab. If Lana is willing to "resurrect" the Matrix after 20 years, I truly believe it's because she has something she wants to say. The Matrix works because it is a metaphor that could mean so many things depending on what way you look at it. At lot has changed in our culture since then, so I do believe this could be interesting. And from what I've heard this movie is very meta and takes some big swings. Doesn't sound like a safe cash grab at all. If it is a mess, it'll be an interesting one.

Don't get me wrong, I get why the average fan is skeptical, but Wachowski fans are excited because we know they just don't do easy cash grabs.

35 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Wachowski fans also like Speed Racer for some inexplicable reason…

I will happily buy it once again when it finally gets a 4K release and a proper Dolby Atmos track. Blue-ray didn’t come a HD audio track in either Dolby TrueHD of DTS-HDMA. Just think 4K and HDR on THAT movie and an Atmos track would just be the fucking icing on the cake for me and my setup. Plus I discovered weed since then and I know of some that’s would just make this movie pop with an even more intense colour palette 

4 hours ago, silentbob said:

I will happily buy it once again when it finally gets a 4K release and a proper Dolby Atmos track. Blue-ray didn’t come a HD audio track in either Dolby TrueHD of DTS-HDMA. Just think 4K and HDR on THAT movie and an Atmos track would just be the fucking icing on the cake for me and my setup. Plus I discovered weed since then and I know of some that’s would just make this movie pop with an even more intense colour palette 

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

• Like 1

When they initially released, I liked The Matrix series largely for their action spectacle. Over the years and with a revisit or two, I’ve come to fully appreciate them as wholly idiosyncratic marvels in Hollywood blockbuster filmmaking that we’ve never really seen before or since outside of the Wachowskis’ subsequent efforts. It’s easy to be cynical about this new installment what with the current trend to dig up old popular IPs and give them the most basic of paint jobs to tap into an already-existing audience, but I sense this is going to be an exception to that rule and Lana and the new/returning collaborators are going to deliver something truly special and worthwhile.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Wachowski fans also like Speed Racer for some inexplicable reason…

Doesn’t negate at all my point about the Wackowskis. :p

Even if you don’t like Speed Racer, one thing you can’t say about it is that it was a cash grab made purely for the studio. The Wachowskis don’t do that. What their fans admire about them is that they are sincere filmmakers. They make what they want and only on their own terms. So if one of them wants to bring back The Matrix, I’m sure it’s for a good reason. I’m sure it will something interesting with the property and not just be a safe nostalgia fest like The Force Awakens.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Only way this makes sense is if all these characters aren't human, that they are duplicants created by machines within the Matrix (and a surrounding outer Matrix that is also fake) in an attempt to create meaning for machine life, or something.

1 minute ago, Derek said:

I'm confused, too. I haven't read anything on this, but did the robots set the Matrix back up? And it's pretty much a reboot with John Wick exposing the truth again?

Maybe?

Or is this an "alternate timeline" where Neo originally took the blue pill instead of the red one?

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Maybe?

Or is this an "alternate timeline" where Neo originally took the blue pill instead of the red one?

or perhaps the machines figured out a way, maybe with human allies like Joey Pants was in the original, to  drug those in the real world and then once reinserted into the matrix has them taking the blue pills on a regular basis 

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Maybe?

Oh, man. That would be kind of neat. Something like 'the chosen one' could only stay oblivious for so long because, you know, he is the chosen one.

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

or perhaps the machines figured out a way, maybe with human allies like Joey Pants was in the original, to  drug those in the real world and then once reinserted into the matrix has them taking the blue pills on a regular basis 

That's a pretty damned reasonable theory!