The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Matrix Multiverse!

Also, at 1:56 the original Matrix is playing on the giant screen. 

A rumor I heard over the summer is that this takes place in a universe where the original Matrix exists as a movie. Apparently this one is very meta.

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Man, you couldn't get much more on the nose than using "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane, huh? :lol:

That's practically bludgeoning you over the head!

On the level with using The Sound of Silence at a funeral.

Speed Racer was enjoyable when it didn't involve Spritle or Chim Chim. All of the races were beautiful.

Just one more theory. Maybe some of the freed humans rebuilt their own Matrix because they were like 'This scorched wasteland sucks', like Joey Pants, and began to self medicate to keep the illusion going, but the robits are trying to take it over again. I don't know. Just curious how they went about bringing Neo and Trinity back.

Bummer about the lack of Fishburne. I guess I just assumed he'd be in this. 

20 minutes ago, Komusha said:

A rumor I heard over the summer is that this takes place in a universe where the original Matrix exists as a movie. Apparently this one is very meta.

Ah, so it takes place in the real world and it's about how the Powers-that-be force everyone to take blue PILLS, just like how they're forcing everyone to be VACCINATED so that deep-state lizard people can control your MIND under the guise of COVID-1984!!

I hope there's a lot of gay antics in this movie, otherwise I can see the far right Facebook loonies hoisting this film up as their banner.

42 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Ah, so it takes place in the real world and it's about how the Powers-that-be force everyone to take blue PILLS, just like how they're forcing everyone to be VACCINATED so that deep-state lizard people can control your MIND under the guise of COVID-1984!!

I hope there's a lot of gay antics in this movie, otherwise I can see the far right Facebook loonies hoisting this film up as their banner.

Based on the context within the trailer my guess is that in this movie the blue pills will be more analogous to antidepressants, something that people willingly take if they don't feel satisfied with the world around them. I don't think being against antidepressants is necessarily a right or left wing position.

Maybe worth remembering that even in the original story, there have been many versions of Neo (6). He always appears and is reborn in the Matrix. The version we saw did things a little differently leading to the ending we got though.

Beyond that, Neo is told even in the first that he is the reincarnation of the One who helped the "first" humans escape.

Cinematography looks good. 

I remember hearing people say that Revolutions would have been better, and ended making more sense if it was revealed that even the "real world" was just still the Matrix; basically a layer to keep the humans who thought they escaped still within the Matrix, and would explain how Neo had powers outside of it. I mean yeah that would have made it make a bit more sense, but also sounds like a cheap trick one step above "it was all a dream". 

I gotta say, that's a good trailer...

I've always been pretty luke-warm on the Matrix movies, but I'll watch this.

I like the first one, and recognize how important it is, but also feel like it was way way over-rated back in the day. I think I had some hipster aversion to how popular it was. Really hated both sequels.

I'd be down if they just kinda flushed 2 and 3 down the toilet and made this a sequel to the first one...

1 minute ago, ort said:

I like the first one, and recognize how important it is, but also feel like it was way way over-rated back in the day. I think I had some hipster aversion to how popular it was. Really hated both sequels.

I watched the first film fairly recently and it still holds up exceptionally well

I'm gonna watch it with my kid. He'll love it.

I still associate the second one with a really bad run-in I had with the police. We went to a midnight show on opening night, and I was driving home at like 2:30am with a friend in the car going like 75 in a 55... sirens flashed and I went to pull over I figured I would get off the highway so it would be safer... hoo boy, that was a mistake. I ended on the face down on the ground surrounded by like 10 cop cars. No guns were pulled, but hands were on guns and there was a lot of yelling... They really don't like it when you pull off the highway... like a lot. I had no idea.

They also couldn't accept the fact that I was driving at 2am stone sober. It just didn't register in their brains.

Got away with just a ticket, but whatever, it sucked.

• Shocked 1

The first one is still a great flick, and really innovative. I've also seen it so many times I'm kind of sick of it, but probably because I was forced to watch it, not from my own choosing; high school drama class has nothing to do today? Watch the Matrix. High school philosophy class watches to see all the Jesus symbolism. Stories in a digital format class watches to see the Hero's Journey. So many times I'm probably forgetting too. 

1 hour ago, ort said:

I'd be down if they just kinda flushed 2 and 3 down the toilet and made this a sequel to the first one...

Apparently there's a fan cut of 2 and 3 that cuts out a lot of boring shit and turns the whole thing into I think a three-hour movie.

4 hours ago, Derek said:

I'm confused, too. I haven't read anything on this, but did the robots set the Matrix back up? And it's pretty much a reboot with John Wick exposing the truth again?

Either way, they might as well call this 'The Matrix: ResErections'. Right, fellas?

The end of Revolutions has The Matrix getting rebooted. There's peace between the machines and Zion and I think people were given the option of getting out of the Matrix.

And there's a shot in the trailer of what looks like the machines rebuilding Neo's body:

E-2QFcIWYAM5xEQ?format=jpg&name=large

I was obsessed with the first Matrix movie... it was one of the first movies I saw in the theaters multiple times (5) and it was one of the first DVD's I ever bought. The other two movies range from ok to bad. That third one...:doh:

I have hopes for this one though. The Wachowskis are definitely interesting filmmakers even in their failures. As far as this movie goes, I suspect the bad guys are gonna ultimately be human this time. Like some humans learned how to exploit the Matrix for their own purposes and some of the good guys are going to be machines. 

@skillzdadirectajust reminded me that The Matrix is the film that pushed me to get a DVD player and a 5.1 sound system when I was a teenager. I saved up every penny I had from working odd jobs and went down to the local Circuit City, as they were having a deal where you got 5 free DVDs with the purchase of an RCA DVD player. The move to DVD vastly increasing the breadth of access to film for me, so thank you Matrix and the Wachowskis for that.

I missed out on The Matrix in theaters because I was only 11. A couple years later I finally convinced my dad to let me rent it but we still had a VHS player. I somehow went into it knowing nothing about what the Matrix was and my 13 year old mind was blown. After we returned the tape my friend let me borrow his VHS and I would watch it literally every day for like 2 weeks before giving it back to him. Something about it just captivated me.

I rewatched the trilogy earlier this summer and feel like it was overall a fun trip. The first is still a masterpiece, but it also is so influential on so many movies after it, both in style and structure, that it doesn't feel AS fresh but it still incredibly watchable. Reloaded is a very interesting "make everything bigger" sequel that was unfortunately underappreciated at the time, but today stands out for being still utterly weird for a sequel. Revolutions is... well, I admire it for trying to be different than the other two but it's ultimately a whiff of a conclusion.

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’m down. The Wachowskis are some of the few directors I will blindly support no matter what. Not many others making such insanely bat shit crazy/creative/taking risks stuff. 

They’re like the Remedy of the movie world

An amazing analogy for sure.

10 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Hefty Larry went toe to toe with Madds Mikkelsen and it was incredible.  He could pull this shit off no problem.

God I love Hannibal, alas we'll never see a 4th season because CBS sucks.

2 hours ago, heydude93 said:

If this is true, this is complete bullshit. For multiple reasons.

1. Obviously The Matrix Online wasn't some massive success, and few people even know what happened in the game. Hell I didn't even know until today with videos and articles like this talking about it. The movie would have to explain this through exposition, which would be a shitty way of ending his character from the perspective of those that didn't play the game. Hell, looking at the video, it was a shitty way of ending the character even if you DID play the game.
  2. Yeah, um... Neo and Trinity died too. So if the reason Morpheus can't be in it is because he was killed in a videogame, so the fuck what?
  3. He is a central character to this franchise, second only to Neo. For many, he is a favorite. I think he might be mine as well. Seeing the growth of his character from fearing the agents, sacrificing himself and almost being killed by one, to later kicking their (upgraded) asses in Reloaded, was such a pleasure. And Fishburne COMMANDS the screen when he's on it. His presence is just...amazing. The Matrix really isn't The Matrix without him, and it's dissatisfying to fans to exclude him.

The more I think about it, the more this actually pisses me off.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

If this is true, this is complete bullshit. For multiple reasons.

1. Obviously The Matrix Online wasn't some massive success, and few people even know what happened in the game. Hell I didn't even know until today with videos and articles like this talking about it. The movie would have to explain this through exposition, which would be a shitty way of ending his character from the perspective of those that didn't play the game. Hell, looking at the video, it was a shitty way of ending the character even if you DID play the game.
  2. Yeah, um... Neo and Trinity died too. So if the reason Morpheus can't be in it is because he was killed in a videogame, so the fuck what?
  3. He is a central character to this franchise, second only to Neo. For many, he is a favorite. I think he might be mine as well. Seeing the growth of his character from fearing the agents, sacrificing himself and almost being killed by one, to later kicking their (upgraded) asses in Reloaded, was such a pleasure. And Fishburne COMMANDS the screen when he's on it. His presence is just...amazing. The Matrix really isn't The Matrix without him, and it's dissatisfying to fans to exclude him.

The more I think about it, the more this actually pisses me off.

I mean, a part of me agrees, but at the same time, I believe the Wachowskis produced The Matrix Online, so it matters to them I assume, and so, it is technically true that he was killed off. I believe Laurence Fishburne even voices him in the game. I remember at the time being interested in playing it since it was being billed as a sequel to The Matrix Revolutions produced by the Wachowskis but I didn't want to play nor had time to play an MMO. It is stupid given how unimportant that game ended up being, and they could easily hand wave it away, I'm sure there's more to it perhaps.

Hell, Enter the Matrix, another videogame, also written by the Wachowskis, has live-action footage shot by them for the game, explaining what Niobe and Ghost got up to during the sequel films. It's fully canon, and when I watch the movies I watch youtube of the live-action footage/story of Enter the Matrix sometimes. The Animatrix is also completely canon. It is what it is. I didn't play The Matrix Online either (so this is the part of me that agrees with you) but perhaps the film will explain it. There's also the two graphic novel comic book series, with a bunch of Matrix vignettes written by the likes of the Wachowskis, Neil Gaiman, and Dave Gibbons. I still have them on my shelf, a lot of them are worth reading. Anyways, that's all the Matrix material out there, this link helps a bit. I don't ultimately care about canon, just explaining things.

200?cb=20060828183650
MATRIX.FANDOM.COM

Canon is not strictly defined in the Matrix franchise. The three films, The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions form the main core of the series, with additional short animated films (The Animatrix), video games (Enter the Matrix, The Matrix: Path of Neo, and The Matrix Online) and comics (The Matrix Comics) created by the Wachowskis and other artists. Some of these tie directly into the films, while...

I really like the two sequel films, obviously not nearly as much as the original but they are and always have been off-beat, interesting films. This looks like all kinds of good and interesting. I mean, it depends on how you feel about their body of work, you either kind of like them or you don't. That was a good trailer, I'm in. 

• Thanks 1