The Matrix Resurrections - the first critic "reactions" are in

17 minutes ago, Zeluge said:

I'll let Mac handle part of my response and add that not only are they not mutually exclusive terms, but they are both applicable in their individual definitions.

I don't get what that video you linked is saying but we'll agree to disagree and move on. Someone earlier in the tread said that they didn't think "deconstruct" was the proper term either but that was the best term they could think of and as I was thinking about this this morning, I thought "Subverting" was a more applicable term.  Here's a list of term that can be synonyms for deconstruction.

thesaurus_social_logo-eeee10b5437579b91b
WWW.THESAURUS.COM

Synonyms for deconstruct from Thesaurus.com, the world’s leading online source for synonyms, antonyms, and more.

here's a bunch for subvert

thesaurus_social_logo-eeee10b5437579b91b
WWW.THESAURUS.COM

Synonyms for subvert from Thesaurus.com, the world’s leading online source for synonyms, antonyms, and more.

Two different words with two different meanings. Can a film be deconstructive AND subversive? sure and if that's what you guys are saying then cool. I don't think the the first two Matrix sequels are deconstructive in any way but an argument could be made that they are subversive.

Ressurections I can TOTALLY see being classified as deconstruction of the whole Matrix mythos and it's role in contemporary society as well as being subversive as well... the film was still just "ok" to me even with that being said because for me personally, it's ideas were not fully fleshed out and the script probably could have used another draft or two to really nail what it was trying to say. 

This is all getting a bit too heady to be honest but I guess that's what these films do whether they are worthy of this scrutiny or not.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Apparently Lana did this movie just to make sure the studio could never give it to somebody else to do and drive a stake through the heart of the franchise.

That is absolutely not what happened lol, Lana has been very forward talking about needing to have Neo and Trinity alive to comfort her after the death of both her parents weeks apart. It's no secret. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was thinking about this this morning and you guys keep saying deconstruct  when I think you mean subvert.

I literally already said that in almost those exact words.

I also said several times that the word deconstruction itself doesn't matter and what matters is the connection the word implies. 

And I'm going to echo Zeluge's frustrations with old arguments not evolving because here we are talking about the difference between subvert and deconstruct and not about how the matrix was reconstituted as a validation tool for individual feelings and had a perfect retention rate. Propaganda personified. 

I enjoyed that a HELLUVA lot more than I thought I would and thank God Almighty that it ditched the pseudo-intellectual nonsense of the original trilogy for a vastly more straightforward narrative!

Quite frankly, any "subversion" that this film depicted was so very focus-tested and corporate-approved that it might as well have been completely irrelevant, which is totally fine with me!

NPH was freakin' fantastic! :lol:

matrix-resurrections-1.jpeg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s theatrical-day-and-date release of The Matrix Resurrections didn’t wow in its 5-day opening at the domestic box office with $22.5M, while in its HBO Max …

Damn they are keeping track of PIRATE numbers now :lol:

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
matrix-resurrections-1.jpeg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s theatrical-day-and-date release of The Matrix Resurrections didn’t wow in its 5-day opening at the domestic box office with $22.5M, while in its HBO Max …

Damn they are keeping track of PIRATE numbers now :lol:

This tracks with my thoughts prior to release, it isn’t HBO Max that will hurt the film, it’s that basically nobody wanted this thing and Warners would have only squeezed another 5-10 million out of it with an exclusive theatrical run. Thinking about the marketing of the film, I don’t even think Warners wanted to bother with the film 😂

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This tracks with my thoughts prior to release, it isn’t HBO Max that will hurt the film, it’s that basically nobody wanted this thing and Warners would have only squeezed another 5-10 million out of it with an exclusive theatrical run. Thinking about the marketing of the film, I don’t even think Warners wanted to bother with the film 😂

Yeah I was gonna say. Compared to the marketing of the first two sequels, this was almost non existent. I don’t remember a single TV ad and certainly no food/beverage tie ins that I can think of. 

53 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah I was gonna say. Compared to the marketing of the first two sequels, this was almost non existent. I don’t remember a single TV ad and certainly no food/beverage tie ins that I can think of. 

I don't think I saw ANY TV ads now that I think of it... I don't watch a lot of commercial TV nowadays so I could have easily missed it, It doesn't seem like Warners did a whole lot of marketing for this though.

matrix.jpeg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

If you’ve watched The Matrix Resurrection, you might remember a scene where character Smith...

...when Lana eventually came back around and said, “Look. I’m interested in making another movie,” of course, they went with the filmmaker who was the genesis of the Matrix.”

Since the release of The Matrix Resurrections in theaters and on HBO Max, the critical and fan reception has been mixed. Despite this, WB wants to keep the franchise going with a fifth movie and they want Lana Wachowski to return as confirmed by the studio’s CEO Ann Sarnoff.

So much for killing the franchise... at least intentionally :p

I think it's good! The action feels notably "less than" compared with the original / Reloaded both in terms of a sense of space and learning about the characters, but that's a very high bar to clear. It was more earnest about its content than I was expecting, and I thought that the evolution of the relationship between machines and humans was pretty cool.

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In a world where the John Wick franchise exists, the action sequences in this movie were painfully plodding and pedestrian.  They were unquestionably the least enjoyable aspect of the film for me.

Which is incredibly ironic since the director of John Wick played Keeanu's stunt double in the first Matrix and cameos in this one :p

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I swear, you should have to pass some sort of basic media literacy test before you are allowed to post takes online.  

Welcome to my world. This is how I feel 90% of the time I read someone's "review" of films online. Even the folks who try to disguise their ignorance by being articulate and verbose :shrug:

Got around to watching it tonight and I came away pretty lukewarm on this one.  The film, at times just felt like a chore to watch, and the story itself just felt like a regurgitation of the prior films.  Nothing about it really felt impactful like the original, and I have to say, the production quality of this film really hurt this film for me. The CGI was laughably bad at times, and some of the scenes reeked of being clearly constructed on a Hollywood lot.  I really feel like some film grain would have benefited this one to hide some of the shortfalls of its set designs.  I wouldn't say I regret seeing it, as there was enough there to prevent me from wanting to turn it off, but I couldn't see myself going out of my way to watch it again.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:07 AM, LazyPiranha said:

I swear, you should have to pass some sort of basic media literacy test before you are allowed to post takes online.  

The person I saw Gravity with absolutely could not understand why they cut to credits before you see Sandra Bullock get rescued. 

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:17 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes. It was basically a symbolic rebirth for her.

I didn't get a symbolic rebirth from the ending, but the entire arc of the movie is her struggle of going from everything being normal to being increasingly isolated and fighting for survival, so I thought it was pretty obvious that it would have undercut the entire thrust of the plot to then end it on her being around people again. It would have fucked up the emotional impact of the finale to the point of fucking up the entire story the same way that the BSG reboot's finale majorly fucks up by shoehorning in the Times Square scene with Angel Six and Angel Baltar at the end instead of just cutting to credits after the camera finishes pulling back to the wide shot of Adama sitting next to Roslin's grave on the hill. Just a much more logical and powerful emotional and plot beat to end the movie on.

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I didn't get a symbolic rebirth from the ending, but the entire arc of the movie is her struggle of going from everything being normal to being increasingly isolated and fighting for survival, so I thought it was pretty obvious that it would have undercut the entire thrust of the plot to then end it on her being around people again. It would have fucked up the emotional impact of the finale to the point of fucking up the entire story the same way that the BSG reboot's finale majorly fucks up by shoehorning in the Times Square scene with Angel Six and Angel Baltar at the end instead of just cutting to credits after the camera finishes pulling back to the wide shot of Adama sitting next to Roslin's grave on the hill. Just a much more logical and powerful emotional and plot beat to end the movie on.

197xrjaz7466rpng.png
GIZMODO.COM

The rebirth metaphors were strong in Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity. But did you catch all of the little hints the director slipped into the end? We spoke with the director about the deeper meaning behind his space movie's powerful ending. Here are his thoughts. Big time spoilers ahead:

On 1/5/2022 at 1:59 AM, Vitalsign said:

What a truly awful movie. I can’t remember being so bored watching a movie. An hour into it I couldn’t care less about what was happening. The acting was atrocious as was the script. 

I loved the first 3. This one was a piece of shit. 

I missed you, you gigantic dumbass.