Universal stops marketing The Hunt after most recent deadly mass shootings

Jason

Damon Lindelof co-wrote satirical thriller about rich people hunting "deplorables."

But there's of course a twist in this case: the hunted all hail from red states ("deplorables"), and the hunters are purportedly "liberals"—albeit of the super-entitled uber-wealthy variety. "We pay for everything so the country belongs to us," Swank's character declares in the film's trailer. Various teasers had previously aired on TV (including on CNN during the recent Democratic debates) and remain online (embedded below).

14 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

The left hunting the right is a hilarious idea. It’s only a movie. It’s not like the left is catching up in weapons capacity anytime soon.

Thank you for the unsolicited check-in on the imaginary arms race between the left and the right.

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I know the movie is satire...but Trump's base will 100% see it as validation of their beliefs that

1. The rich are elite leftists
  2. Leftists wish to hunt the right with guns, and that is why guns are needed

Needless to say, Fox News has been having a field day with the film's story.

Well Universal and has cancelled the release. What a load of crap. I really wanted to see this. Hell, it's a story that has been told over and over. The most Dangerous Game and Hard Target, jump instantly to mind, but I know there have been a bunch more. And the crazy thing is anyone who has seen any of these types of movies know that in the end it's the hunted people that turn the tables, so in the end it would be the 'deplorables' that come out on top :p 

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Well Universal and has cancelled the release. What a load of crap. I really wanted to see this. Hell, it's a story that has been told over and over. The most Dangerous Game and Hard Target, jump instantly to mind, but I know there have been a bunch more. And the crazy thing is anyone who has seen any of these types of movies know that in the end it's the hunted people that turn the tables, so in the end it would be the 'deplorables' that come out on top :p 

Don't forget Surviving the Game. 

20 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Yeah, seems likely.

Framing the hunters as liberal elites, and the hunted as "deplorables"(which is a name many conservatives took as a badge of honor after Hillary said it) strongly suggests who the movie would play as the "heroes".

Personally I think the movie sounds like a nightmare conceptually and would have been better off not made. But it's kind of like Christian's banning Passions of the Christ because it's anti-Christian....

40 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Personally I think the movie sounds like a nightmare conceptually and would have been better off not made. But it's kind of like Christian's banning Passions of the Christ because it's anti-Christian....

conceptual nightmare or not, it's by no means an original idea and since the same movie has been made and been released countless times over the last several decades I don't see any reason to pull this one. I have no doubt its a mindless flick with a few laughs that would come and go from the theaters in 2-3 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

But it's kind of like Christian's banning Passions of the Christ because it's anti-Christian....

I remember it being called anti Semitic, and some said it was practically a snuff film. I do not remember people saying it was anti Christian. I remember churches encouraging congregations to go see it. Even going as a group. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I remember it being called anti Semitic, and some said it was practically a snuff film. I do not remember people saying it was anti Christian. I remember churches encouraging congregations to go see it. Even going as a group. 

Right, they didn't. My point was that if they had, it would be analogous to the way in which whiny Trump seems to be misinterpreting this new movie.

Trump sees a movie about liberals killing conservatives and whines that is anti-conservative. What I, and I think ED, are saying is that if anything it's the opposite of that. The liberals are the killers and the "deplorables" are the protagonists. 

If you used this simplistic Trumpian persecution complex to judge all movies Passion would be anti-Christian cause they spend the whole film beating the shit out of the guy!

On 8/9/2019 at 10:47 AM, Jose said:

Thank you for the unsolicited check-in on the imaginary arms race between the left and the right.

My point was that it is obviously satire, satire about something the far right has been screaming for four years. "There's gonna be a civil war, and we have all the guns!". Turning that on it's head in a movie is interesting. You totally misconstrued what I was saying, no doubt purposely. 

“We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film.”

To me, that sounds like it’ll still come out eventually. Maybe it just won’t be a theatrical release.

• 5 months later...
22 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Keep your fingers crossed there isn’t another mass shooting between now and then that would further delay release. 

That isn't really a question.  There is another one every week.  They just don't get reported much unless there is a huge body count or something else that will catch peoples interest.

16 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Saw the news yesterday or earlier today, can't recall. I knew the movie would eventually get released. Looking forward to it. Fully expect it to be stupid, but hopefully fun stupid. 

It's co-written by Damon Lindelof and Nick Cuse, and directed by Craig Zobel - it should be very good. 

3 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

it may indeed be enjoyable...that doesn't mean it won't still be stupid...stupid fun. I've enjoyed most of the crazy people hunting movies that have come out over the years

They've never made anything outright stupid, but you never know. 

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not to mention the assistance from Jerome Thompson, Kerry Miller and Mauricio Quintero. Should be the best movie ever made!

I don't know who those people are.