The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

In all fairness, when Trump is no longer president in 2028 this will be the stuff people will write books about.

You assume we'll be alive by 2028 and not dead from nuclear war because Putin rang up Trump and Trump didn't want to look lame in front of the cool kids.

16 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Had a friend in college that swore he could take out a grizzly bear with a knife if one was in his apartment. Going to have to find some contact information and send this to him.

I have a buddy who SWEARS he can one punch knockout ANY dog that weighs less than 150 pounds. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

The fact that its ok shows that at least half of America is ok with openly insulting my people. But that doesn’t surprise me even slightly.

I've never had the chance to ask anyone this question since having the experience, first the experience:

I was traveling for work (in Chico, but came down to Sacramento), out to dinner by myself, eating at the bar, and a conversation was struck up between myself and the gorgeous woman sitting next to me; a recent transplant from Alaska.

At some point in the conversation I made reference to her being Native American (I think I was talking about my great great grandmother who had passed a few years earlier); her face did all types of tricks and she said that term offends her, and she find it derogatory as "native people don't look like her, they look like the beginning of time." I didn't get to ask what she would like to be called if anything, because she changed subjects and I let her know I was married and wouldn't hang out with her after my dinner. 

Every heard of such a distinction, or is that an Alaskan "Native American" thing? (Yes, I know its unfair to ask you to be the mouth piece of all)

I do know my great great grandmother took issue with the term because her nativeness precedes the land being called America. 

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have a buddy who SWEARS he can one punch knockout ANY dog that weighs less than 150 pounds. 

What an incredibly odd notion to have in the first place

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

I've never had the chance to ask anyone this question since having the experience, first the experience:

I was traveling for work (in Chico, but came down to Sacramento), out to dinner by myself, eating at the bar, and a conversation was struck up between myself and the gorgeous woman sitting next to me; a recent transplant from Alaska.

At some point in the conversation I made reference to her being Native American (I think I was talking about my great great grandmother who had passed a few years earlier); her face did all types of tricks and she said that term offends her, and she find it derogatory as "native people don't look like her, they look like the beginning of time." I didn't get to ask what she would like to be called if anything, because she changed subjects and I let her know I was married and wouldn't hang out with her after my dinner. 

Every heard of such a distinction, or is that an Alaskan "Native American" thing? (Yes, I know its unfair to ask you to be the mouth piece of all)

I do know my great great grandmother took issue with the term because her nativeness precedes the land being called America. 

In my experience its "First People" 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

On 6/19/2020 at 8:36 AM, Ghost_MH said:

The entire thing should be razed to the ground. It should never have been built. However, please don't do that in this thread. History is filled with slave owners and nobody is complaining about all of them. Columbus was a literal, monster who bragged about raping nine year old girls and has literally nothing to do with US history.

13 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I’ve said this for months, but I can’t believe the country and platforms aren’t outraged over this nickname. It’s disgusting.

I don’t want to make a false equivalency, so hold me accountable here, but I feel like it would be like saying Rachel “stereotypical black name” Dolezal.

This would be a better example. 

10 hours ago, Commodore D said:

Ive never known any if us to be offended by  “Native” or “Native American”, so i guess without the whole convo, its hard to say what she reacted too. 

but don’t forget, we also have far left members of our community who think everything is racist, and are offended by everything, just like every community. We also have far right band members. We’re as diverse as any race. Some are easily offended, others are just offensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Canada we've gone through a gradual shift in terms for Indigenous people:

Indian

Native / Eskimo

First Nations / Inuit / Metis

Aboriginal

Indigenous / Inuit / Metis (though Indigenous can be used for all three)

Indigenous is the first to be self-chosen by Indigenous people, so unless it somehow becomes a slur I expect it will be the accepted term for a long time. There are still people who say Indian, though. :\ 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In Canada we've gone through a gradual shift in terms for Indigenous people:

Indian

Native / Eskimo

First Nations / Inuit / Metis

Aboriginal

Indigenous / Inuit / Metis (though Indigenous can be used for all three)

Indigenous is the first to be self-chosen by Indigenous people, so unless it somehow becomes a slur I expect it will be the accepted term for a long time. There are still people who say Indian, though. :\ 

Indian is not an offensive term. It’s perfectly acceptable. This sounds a lot like white people deciding what is offensive. 

also, Eskimo are not offended by the term Eskimo, or at least the ones I have met weren’t. they definitely don’t call themselves Inuit (maybe in Canada they do, but not nirthern alaska).

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Indian is not an offensive term. It’s perfectly acceptable. This sounds a lot like white people deciding what is offensive. 

also, Eskimo are not offended by the term Eskimo, or at least the ones I have met weren’t. they definitely don’t call themselves Inuit (maybe in Canada they do, but not nirthern alaska).

I think the situation is probably different in Canada than the US for these terms. Here (in Saskatchewan), using Indian is considered offensive by all the Indigenous people I know. I don't know any Inuit since I am too far south, but from what I've read it's the same thing - they call themselves Inuit (or Inuk for an individual), and Eskimo is considered a racist, outdated term. Obviously I will simply listened to whatever a group of people want to call themselves (not my place to argue otherwise), but I'd assume that the culture is different in Canada and the US between the two groups, as the history is quite different as well (and relationship between the people and the state).

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think the situation is probably different in Canada than the US for these terms. Here (in Saskatchewan), using Indian is considered offensive by all the Indigenous people I know. I don't know any Inuit since I am too far south, but from what I've read it's the same thing - they call themselves Inuit (or Inuk for an individual), and Eskimo is considered a racist, outdated term. Obviously I will simply listened to whatever a group of people want to call themselves (not my place to argue otherwise), but I'd assume that the culture is different in Canada and the US between the two groups, as the history is quite different as well (and relationship between the people and the state).

You will find some of us who find Indian offensive, but its very few. I grew up in Alaska, I know plenty of Eskimo, and thats what they are, not one of them would call themselves anything else. (Aside from when speaking their native tongue). 

14 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You will find some of us who find Indian offensive, but its very few. I grew up in Alaska, I know plenty of Eskimo, and thats what they are, not one of them would call themselves anything else. (Aside from when speaking their native tongue). 

How do you feel about that Football team in Washington DC?

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

How do you feel about that Football team in Washington DC?

I mean, I don’t like it, it’s casual racism, but its not what I would focus on in the grand scheme of things. Im more interested in funding education, clean water, safe housing, and fighting addiction on reserves than I am the name of an nfl team. It should be changed though

• Thanks 1